Author Topic: Suggestions on a reputable stroker crate motor builder.  (Read 5381 times)

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Suggestions on a reputable stroker crate motor builder.
« on: November 16, 2022, 11:06:49 AM »
I see engine builders that seem to do a lot of business marketing mostly on Ebay but I can't help but wonder if they can be trusted. Anybody have experience with either of these outfits? Other suggestions for a 331 or 347 long block for my R-model tribute?

Detroit Muscle Car Store
https://www.ebay.com/str/musclecarcrateengines?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2563

Creb Engineering
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225184081102?hash=item346e0464ce:g:xbgAAOSw8W5abiNT
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions on a reputable stroker crate motor builder.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 11:28:18 AM »
I've used ATK a couple times - good results. For a kit car / clone they are a good value.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HPE-HP09

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

S412gofast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »
I follow the Instagram page prestige_moto, which is Prestige Motorsports.  They build some interesting combinations including a 427 smallblock.
www.prestigemoto.com

1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 12:34:41 PM »
Cobra Automotive.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 01:00:06 PM »
I would highly recommend Roger Williams.  They built my engine and did a great job. 

https://www.wpespeedshop.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAiJ5kXd0w0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 05:55:02 PM by 69 GT350 Vert »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 04:07:21 PM »
I see engine builders that seem to do a lot of business marketing mostly on Ebay but I can't help but wonder if they can be trusted.

Not to be speaking of anyone specifically, but with a couple of decades of having customers delivering such for their projects, all I can say is:    :o :P :( :'( ::)   nuff said!

Scott.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 04:17:46 PM by pbf777 »

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 11:58:00 PM »
Cobra Automotive!

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 05:29:27 AM »
zsrengines.com

Zach is awesome and really one of the best engine builders I have ever found. My 438 is really the best build by another person engine I had so far.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 08:18:29 AM »
I had a local shop build my motor for my FFR. A VERY healthy 331.

Good thing about staying local to you is that you can keep an eye on it as you go, and you can custom build to the way you like it, rather than have to accept someone else's package.

I found an exceptional shop local to me, and it's the best motor I have had between the frame rails. And, he was right there when I had a problem, and also quickly helped me when the motor ingested a washer, bending two valves.

My build is very straightforwards, solid, runs on pump gas, and the best is that I designed it.

My $.02

Dan

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 06:25:40 PM »
What about a Ford Racing crate engine?  I think most of them have warranties.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 08:06:29 PM »
What about a Ford Racing crate engine?

Yes! I always suggest to our customers looking for an engine to check the offerings from Ford Performance (was Ford Racing before, before that Ford Motorsport  ???) as these have proven to be good units with very little to complain about.  I don't consider them to be "fully-prepared" race engines, but I sure have had many a customer treat them as such, and most have had amazingly good results with them!   ;)

So if they happen to offer something that 's right up your alley, I always explain that: "I can sell you their (a true) "crate-engine" for less than it would cost me (buying the parts at W.D. and owning the machine shop!  8)) to build it!  :o  Unfortunately we make less profit from this sales approach, but then, I never claimed to be the smartest (or maybe the slickest  ::)) salesman in the world!  :( 

And yes!  Most have been available with a warranty.  And it's a real warranty; not one of those like on the 'Flea-bay' examples, which I can assure you, again as witness to the tribulations of our customers in the past, that those warranties evaporate the moment you test them!  :o

Scott.

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
Someone pointed out that the 289 timing chain cover (and associated water pump) looks different than the 302 cover. I see the difference visually between the 65 cover and the 67 302 cover. Are they interchangable? Will a 65 289 cover bolt up to the 302 roller block?

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 11:34:21 AM »
I'd suggest the Ford Racing balancer and 65 timing cover. The Ford Racing balancer is similar to the Hi-Po balancer in thickness and diameter, so a quick glance will look like a fully degreed R-Model balancer when painted black. The 65-timing cover will take a little bit of grinding for clearance when using the Ford Racing balancer. I also used the 65-aluminum water pump with the heater provisions tapped for plugs and used dummy rubber caps to look like the R-model. The 65-aluminum pump works OK, but I also used an Edelbrock water pump for the 65 to 67 HiPo and they run significantly cooler.

I'd suggest spending the money on something else for your replica than an old original fully degreed balancer. Perhaps a Fred Ballard button top fuel pump or a
SW 240A electric pump. Just my opinion.

Don
gt350bp

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 03:06:56 PM »
That's just the kind of input I'm looking for Don. So I need the timing cover for the factory aluminum water pump (C4AZ-6019-A)? And you're saying I'll get better cooling if I substitute the Edelbrock water pump for the factory aluminum water pump?

Got any advice on replicating the oil cooler?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 03:58:01 PM by mlplunkett »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 04:31:38 PM »
That's just the kind of input I'm looking for Don. So I need the timing cover for the factory aluminum water pump (C4AZ-6019-A)? And you're saying I'll get better cooling if I substitute the Edelbrock water pump for the factory aluminum water pump?

Got any advice on replicating the oil cooler?
The Edelbrock waterpump is aluminum like the early 65 waterpump but that is where the similarities ends. The Edlebrock water pump is designed to work with the later cast iron waterpump style timing cover.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby