Author Topic: Suggestions on a reputable stroker crate motor builder.  (Read 5387 times)

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions on a reputable stroker crate motor builder.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2022, 06:29:01 PM »
     Edelbrock has in the past offered (these days?  :-\) a water pump for the earlier timing cover; it with the application description of: for water pumps without the cover-plate (or something like that  ::).

Scott. 

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2022, 06:57:59 PM »
Edelbrock used to advertise an early 65 to 67 Hi-Po pump that worked with the early timing cover Not sure of the part #, but it works better than the aluminum Ford pumps.

I bought a correct oil cooler for a friends R-Model replica about a year ago from Craig Conley. Not sure if he has any more or not. Might want to contact him. Good luck.

Don
gt350bp

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2022, 08:20:37 PM »

[/quote]The Edelbrock waterpump is aluminum like the early 65 waterpump but that is where the similarities ends. The Edlebrock water pump is designed to work with the later cast iron waterpump style timing cover.
[/quote]

So, from an appearance standpoint, would I be OK with the later timing cover and the edelbrock water pump?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2022, 10:20:56 PM »
Check the Edelbrock 8842 for 65 to 67 289 Hi-Po. Works with early timing cover. Does not look like the Ford aluminum pump but moves much more water. My engine with the Ford pump runs about 10 degrees hotter.

Don
gt350bp

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2022, 11:41:59 PM »
Before he moved from California to Texas, I visited Smeding and thought he did a good job with new quality parts. No personal experience with his engines though.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2022, 08:11:01 AM »
Photos of the Edelbrock 65 to 67 Hi-po water pump I used prior to changing to the aluminum Ford pump.

Don
gt350bp

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2022, 01:15:21 PM »

The Edelbrock waterpump is aluminum like the early 65 waterpump but that is where the similarities ends. The Edlebrock water pump is designed to work with the later cast iron waterpump style timing cover.
[/quote]

So, from an appearance standpoint, would I be OK with the later timing cover and the edelbrock water pump?
[/quote]
The Ford aluminum waterpump and the later Ford cast iron waterpump are visually shaped different that is why the need for the different style of timing cover. . The difference isn't just the aluminum material.  There is not a dramatic difference in efficiency between a aftermarket water pump and factory IMO. The insides, impeller design and size are typically the same. If you feel the need to use a more expensive aftermarket water pump then if there is a Edlebrock waterpump that fits the early cover (designed after the ford aluminum pump) that would be better then the Edlebrock aluminum waterpump modeled after the cast iron water pump IMO. The later cover would of course need to be used with the later pump design. At least if you are being faithful to the tribute idea and look IMO. FYI regardless of what you use the water pump is typically assembled with the rest of the engine before the entire assembly is painted even at SA race engine shop. The aluminum intake seemed to be the only engine component that was added later unpainted at the race engine shop. With that said anomalies exist and a owner has the right to do anything to his own car he wants.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2022, 01:30:23 PM »
Photos of the Edelbrock 65 to 67 Hi-po water pump I used prior to changing to the aluminum Ford pump.

Don
gt350bp
  There was a Ford aluminum style water pump that was used up to about July of 1965 then the cast iron water pump was brought in to be used for the rest of 65 production and into later years. There was a hipo version for ether style.  The hipo waterpump difference had to do with the 6 impleer blades for hipo vs. 8 blades for the regular water pump. The lower number of blades pushed less water. Which is not something that you would want for everyday driving because of cooling but something that would cause less water turbulance /cavitation at high rpm range (5K +RPM)  and consequently allow cooling at high rpm. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 03:40:17 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2022, 05:05:05 PM »
All I'm trying to convey is that Edelbrock advertises a 65 to 67 Hi-Po water pump for the early timing cover. They do not look correct for an R-Model replica, but they work better than the aluminum Ford pumps especially in warm climate.

I live in Central Florida and my replica runs cool, as the extra capacity Aviad oil pan, oil cooler and larger Galaxie radiator with larger radiator opening and front valance all help to minimize the engine heat. If I was going to be doing more open track and racing, I would change back to the Edelbrock water pump. The early timing cover with Ford Racing balancer and Ford aluminum water pump IMO makes a nice combination for a replica.

FYI, my stroker engine was assembled by Scott (pbf777 on this forum) and it runs and look good for my purposes.

Don
gt350bp

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 07:42:53 PM »
Early 289 Edelbrock pump on an early 289 timing cover on a replica T/A Boss 302. NOTE: it does not say Edelbrock on the pump because I removed it.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2022, 11:18:29 PM »
Early 289 Edelbrock pump on an early 289 timing cover on a replica T/A Boss 302. NOTE: it does not say Edelbrock on the pump because I removed it.

Yes that is a Edelbrock pump designed to replace the early style Ford aluminum water pump but it is a on a 1964 260/289 style timing cover which seems odd to use that timing cover on a replica 69 or 70 TA Boss 302 engine. That is a odd timing cover that doesn't look like factory one . Not a problem if you like it . Is it some kind of aftermarket timing cover?   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:40:56 PM by Bob Gaines »

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2022, 07:56:07 AM »
That's what the 69 Boss T/A cars used with the oil filler tube opening sealed with a plug.

Scott, love your car and engine detail.

Don
gt350bp

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2022, 04:12:31 PM »
I'd suggest the Ford Racing balancer and 65 timing cover. The Ford Racing balancer is similar to the Hi-Po balancer in thickness and diameter, so a quick glance will look like a fully degreed R-Model balancer when painted black. The 65-timing cover will take a little bit of grinding for clearance when using the Ford Racing balancer. I also used the 65-aluminum water pump with the heater provisions tapped for plugs and used dummy rubber caps to look like the R-model. The 65-aluminum pump works OK, but I also used an Edelbrock water pump for the 65 to 67 HiPo and they run significantly cooler.

I'd suggest spending the money on something else for your replica than an old original fully degreed balancer. Perhaps a Fred Ballard button top fuel pump or a
SW 240A electric pump. Just my opinion.

Don
gt350bp

Don,
I like the looks of that balancer but for the life of me I can't find one like it on the web. Closest I came was a laser etched full timing scale from Ford Performance. Where did you find it? I'm going with the early cover, Ford aluminum pump, and your balancer if I can find one. I'll switch to the Edelbrock pump if I have overheating issues. I also checked in with Ballard to see about the button tops. Where did you find rubber caps for the heater outlets?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 04:14:22 PM by mlplunkett »
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction