Author Topic: engine oil cooler adapter seal  (Read 1093 times)

Jack4159

• View Profile
engine oil cooler adapter seal
« on: November 27, 2022, 08:09:27 AM »
I've looked at all the usual places but can't find a replacement seal, does anyone know if these are available anywhere?
If not any suggestions?
Thanks as always.

Jack4159

• View Profile
Re: engine oil cooler adapter seal
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 08:36:28 AM »
Whoops forgot to mention , off my GT500KR.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 10:59:21 AM »
I've looked at all the usual places but can't find a replacement seal, does anyone know if these are available anywhere?
If not any suggestions?
Thanks as always.
I am not familiar with a current off the shelf replacement. I am sure there is something similar already made out there that will work. You could get some sheet rubber that is fairly stiff and cut it out using the adapter as a pattern if you don't have the defective original. I am fortunate to have a rubber products supplier Hanna Rubber in KC where I live so I can more easily sort through possible alternatives. If you use something flexible like inner tube you will need to glue it to the adapter and letting it set up before clamping the oil cooler adapter to the Ford filter adapter.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 01:04:05 PM »
If you just want it to seal a common oil filter O ring will fit in groove

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 06:11:03 PM »
Jack I don't think your seal is factory. I seem to recall the filter seal is correct on the top side

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 08:01:13 AM »
Thanks everyone, good to know there is a solution. Will have a play around and see what I can get to work.Appreciate the help  :)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 11:18:38 AM »
I was just looking for the same thing and have a seal on the adapter the same as in your pic. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
The Shelby adapter takes an o ring from a Fram oil filter. It sits in a machined groove in the adapter itself. The Ford service listing actually shows a Fram number for that o-ring. Just pull one off of a used oil filter. That's all the thing is.

I've never seen anything like the "gasket" posted in the OP's picture.

The "69-70 Boss 302 adapter " uses the rubber coated gasket pictured in Van's post. It won't work on the Shelby adapter.

It also shows an o-ring gasket fitting under the fluid bolt. Mine works without that.

The B2 adapter also fits the 351-c and 429 series of that era but can be backfit onto any 289 type block.

The Shelby part is unique to the FE's. The 427 Cobras have their own version.

The B2 adapter also has a "pressure releif spring" built in. What in fact that is, is a thermal switch to open circulation to the cooler/radiator at a certain temperature. I believe that is around 185°F. The Shelby version has no such device incorporated into it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:03:11 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »
The Shelby adapter takes an o ring from a Fram oil filter. It sits in a machined groove in the adapter itself. The Ford service listing actually shows a Fram number for that o-ring. Just pull one off of a used oil filter. That's all the thing is.

The "69-70 Boss 302 adapter " uses the rubber coated gasket pictured in Van's post. It won't work on the Shelby adapter.

It also shows an o-ring gasket fitting under the fluid bolt. Mine works without that.

The B2 adapter also fits the 351-c and 429 series of that era but can be backfit onto any 289 type block.

The B2 adapter also has a "pressure releif spring" built in. What in fact that is, is a thermal switch to open circulation to the cooler/radiator at a certain temperature. I believe that is around 185°F. The Shelby version has no such device incorporated into it.
Just to clarify the street 427/428 Cobra's did not use any remote cooler adapter . Only the competition models or SC model used the remote oil cooler adapter.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 10:50:48 AM »

Thanks Doug , sounds like a plan….Good news is we have Fram filters in Australia so I will pick one up.Cheers.