News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT500 carburetor problems

Started by Jakobs67gt500, November 27, 2022, 01:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakobs67gt500

Apart from the carburetors - the restoration job is amazing.

In case I want to buy new Holley carburetors, can anybody guide me which numbers to buy (think they are different)?

I will then send the original ones to AFS, and there will be no rush to finish them.

Again many thanks

Best regards
Jakob

shelbydoug

It depends on if the engine is stock or modified.

Almost any Holley will work. Modified like BC-BD which you can get reproductions of.

Even a pair of 1850's will work but they will need the Ford throttles like the original 1850 and 1850-1, for the linkages.

Drew has found issues with brand new reproduced BC-BD's. You'd have to ask him exactly where and what to look for and correct.

Generally speaking you will need more camshaft and headers with a less restrictive exhaust system will help. Better connecting rods is a VERY good idea as well.

Some think that the original carbs were selected to reduce the rpm potential of the engine and thus load the bad connecting rods less.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Jakobs67gt500

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 29, 2022, 08:49:35 AM
It depends on if the engine is stock or modified.

Almost any Holley will work. Modified like BC-BD which you can get reproductions of.

Even a pair of 1850's will work but they will need the Ford throttles like the original 1850 and 1850-1, for the linkages.

Drew has found issues with brand new reproduced BC-BD's. You'd have to ask him exactly where and what to look for and correct.

Generally speaking you will need more camshaft and headers with a less restrictive exhaust system will help. Better connecting rods is a VERY good idea as well.

Some think that the original carbs were selected to reduce the rpm potential of the engine and thus load the bad connecting rods less.

Many thanks Doug.
The engine is stock, and I have all the linkage for the two original carburetors.
Will two of these do the job?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/street/parts/0-1850S

Drew Pojedinec

The street warriors are going to work if you have a small cam and high idle vac.
If you have a larger more aggressive cam you may have issues with idle and transition to main circuit.

Jakobs67gt500

Quote from: Drew Pojedinec on November 29, 2022, 09:17:04 AM
The street warriors are going to work if you have a small cam and high idle vac.
If you have a larger more aggressive cam you may have issues with idle and transition to main circuit.

thanks Drew
My cam is stock.
Which carburetors will you recommend me to buy, and which type of choke shall I order?
I will send my originals to you, but want to use the car, so need to order some new ones :-)

Drew Pojedinec

I may be considered an expert with original Ford Holleys, but I really am quite ignorant regarding most new holleys.
I simply don't have much exposure to them.
The little experience I have is mentioned above. Most new 4v 600s are set lean, the end user is typically a guy with a stock pickup truck.
If your engine is mellow as described you will be fine.
On an engine like mine, the street avengers would be out of range.

I will say.
95% of all carb issues are related to incorrect fuel pressure, weak ignition, incorrect distributor timing.
Make certain to have all other variables in range.

https://www.afscarbs.com/post/multi-carbs

shelbydoug

The only "thing" with current carbs, if at all is an issue, is that the original FORD Holleys had a throttle that was made to use the production 427 2x4 linkages.

You can use the current throttle arms but they are not going to be "bolt on" and are going to need some "modification" to use.

It can be done. I applied a pair of "converted" (fuel bowls) of '85 Mustang GT carbs to a 2x4 intake. They have annular venturi and factory set to idle at 14.6:1. They actually worked quite well since they are "calibrated" to turn the mains on faster then the old 1850's and thus run just like they do on the mains.

I ran original Holley Custom Shop restored BC-BD's (before Drew was around offering services) and they work quite well on my SMALL block 347 with the C60A T/A intake. So I would say in my particular application, the engine is not over carb'd at all. In fact I would speculate that it is capable of running two double pumpers, providing modification of the fuel bowls is taken into consideration but that is untried.

Drew just had a pair of the original T/A mechanical carbs he restored for Cushman's T/A setup. You can see the physical differences between the "1850's" and the current double pumpers. I believe those are center squirters so not much of a recommended street application unless you were going "pro-street".

Drew may not be the absolute expert on all Holleys but he is highly knowledgable on the carbs that he has done, how they work and why, and how to apply them. I'd go with his recommendations otherwise you become somewhat of an alchamest like me being a rebel within the group of rebels.

That's ok if you are willing to deal with your own self created set backs and careful not to shoot yourself in the foot when you need to finish your "vision" on some sort of a schedule. What happens there is that you discover or maybe more correctly "realize" other possibilities that take you off of the yellow brick road to the Emerald City?  ;) Lots of side streets to investigate.

Then you become like me with the same hair that the "Professor" has in "Back to the Future". Still can't figure out how to make these engines run on recycled garbage though?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roger

Several years back I refurbished my original bj/bk carbs including replating and recoloring where needed. While they are not going to fool anybody as far as assembly line appearance, I was pretty happy with them. After lots of tinkering, I got them working well. As stated earlier in this thread, they work amazingly well once you get them dialed in. I decided to buy a set of the new issue BK/BJ carbs from Branda, and put my original ones on the shelf. After installing the replacement set, I found basically no difference in the way the engine ran, so I thought I must of done something right on the rebuild.
These carbs went right on without any alteration to the orig configuration, easy deal! While they are a little spendy, and not spot on in appearance, they fall in the category of " They worked for me"

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

No more reissue BJ BK carbs apparently given they are no longer part of his listed offerings.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jakobs67gt500

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 29, 2022, 10:51:38 AM
The only "thing" with current carbs, if at all is an issue, is that the original FORD Holleys had a throttle that was made to use the production 427 2x4 linkages.

You can use the current throttle arms but they are not going to be "bolt on" and are going to need some "modification" to use.

It can be done. I applied a pair of "converted" (fuel bowls) of '85 Mustang GT carbs to a 2x4 intake. They have annular venturi and factory set to idle at 14.6:1. They actually worked quite well since they are "calibrated" to turn the mains on faster then the old 1850's and thus run just like they do on the mains.

I ran original Holley Custom Shop restored BC-BD's (before Drew was around offering services) and they work quite well on my SMALL block 347 with the C60A T/A intake. So I would say in my particular application, the engine is not over carb'd at all. In fact I would speculate that it is capable of running two double pumpers, providing modification of the fuel bowls is taken into consideration but that is untried.

Drew just had a pair of the original T/A mechanical carbs he restored for Cushman's T/A setup. You can see the physical differences between the "1850's" and the current double pumpers. I believe those are center squirters so not much of a recommended street application unless you were going "pro-street".

Drew may not be the absolute expert on all Holleys but he is highly knowledgable on the carbs that he has done, how they work and why, and how to apply them. I'd go with his recommendations otherwise you become somewhat of an alchamest like me being a rebel within the group of rebels.

That's ok if you are willing to deal with your own self created set backs and careful not to shoot yourself in the foot when you need to finish your "vision" on some sort of a schedule. What happens there is that you discover or maybe more correctly "realize" other possibilities that take you off of the yellow brick road to the Emerald City?  ;) Lots of side streets to investigate.

Then you become like me with the same hair that the "Professor" has in "Back to the Future". Still can't figure out how to make these engines run on recycled garbage though?

hahaha, I really love your description, and can just picture the professor with the chair.
I really appreciate your input, this is the way I will follow
Best wishes / Jakob

Jakobs67gt500

Quote from: roger on November 30, 2022, 01:29:24 PM
Several years back I refurbished my original bj/bk carbs including replating and recoloring where needed. While they are not going to fool anybody as far as assembly line appearance, I was pretty happy with them. After lots of tinkering, I got them working well. As stated earlier in this thread, they work amazingly well once you get them dialed in. I decided to buy a set of the new issue BK/BJ carbs from Branda, and put my original ones on the shelf. After installing the replacement set, I found basically no difference in the way the engine ran, so I thought I must of done something right on the rebuild.
These carbs went right on without any alteration to the orig configuration, easy deal! While they are a little spendy, and not spot on in appearance, they fall in the category of " They worked for me"
Many thanks. I was looking at the cobranda option, but seems they discontinued them :-/

oldcanuck

If it were me.... I would get on Drew's list ASAP.

Worth the wait IMHO.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN