Author Topic: Which of these two 2019 Shelby's would be better to collect?  (Read 2604 times)

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
Which of these two 2019 Shelby's would be better to collect?
« on: November 30, 2022, 09:30:38 PM »
For you late model Shelbyers......Just curious, which of these two would be the better one to collect.  OFF LEASE AUTO in Florida has two 2019 Shelby's.  One is an SAI Shelby GT and the other is a Ford Shelby GT 350.  Both have really low Miles.

https://www.offleaseonly.com/used-cars-/Ford/2019-Ford-Mustang-58e73caf0a0e0a947bffad4567f7ea40.htm

https://www.offleaseonly.com/select/Ford/2019-Ford-Mustang-6842c6aa0a0e0a9455f25f921e01ad9a.htm

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Which of these two 2019 Shelby's would be better to collect?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 09:52:39 PM »
easy choice the black c.s.m. supercharged car for $49k

the other is a facsimile from ford over priced at $64k

definetly would get a carfax or equivalent to see what damage either car has suffered in its short life span, plus take it and put it up on a lift to further inspect
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 10:40:50 PM »
danger Will Robinson danger

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »
IMHO - neither is "collectable" they are both production cars. One limited production factory built and the other modified post production. Rarity and history don't enter the equation. The damage history would eliminate one for me. It might be fixed correctly but it's damaged goods that will always carry a penalty at resale. Being these are new "Shelby" cars there would probably be more insight to their following and worth on the Team Shelby website.

Car & Driver = The Shelby GT Is a Shelbyfied Ford Mustang GT.  https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a22761807/shelby-gt-gt-h-mustang-ford-2019/
Just some aftermarket add ons installed at SAI. No real performance/development work by SA --- Compared with the Mustang GT, the Shelby GT gets an estimated 480 horsepower which comes courtesy of a Borla cat-back exhaust system. Stiffer springs and anti-roll bars from the Ford Performance catalog also are included. Shelby’s own 20-inch wheels and tires round out the mechanical changes.

GT350 = True factory performance car with limited production and many factory developed tweaks. https://www.ford.com/performance/gt350/

I'd spend my $ on the GT350 and enjoy driving it. Just keep in mind that it was completely developed by SVT and badged to help with sales.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 03:32:01 PM »
" None of the newer cars has made any historical record and lives on the history of their ancestors. I'd liken them to 2nd or 3rd generation wealth where the children and grand children live off the good name and money their ancestor created."

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 03:36:50 PM »
You can justify anything to be "collectible" . Many associate "collectible" as something that will increase in value as time goes by. Unlike the 05/06 Ford GT's the late Model Shelby's typically are still depreciating and not appreciating in value. The values are different but it is hard to say which will depreciate faster between the two samples. They may never appreciate in value. There are too many of them is one reason . Just my opinion .Others may have a different one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 07:08:08 PM »
I'm completely biased, ;), but would lean towards the GT350 which is a factory built track focused car with many unique features and parts, most notably the flat plane crank Voodoo engine.

Not saying this has anything to do with future collectability, but prices are quite strong for all the S550 platform GT350's, especially starting in 2020 when they stopped production. Low mileage and low production versions like the 2015's and 2020 Heritage edition are often selling at or above their original MSRP. This chart is from Classic.com and does not include the GT350R's which are selling even higher. Many owners on the Mustang 6G forum have reported selling their cars for more than they paid.

Dave - 6S1757

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 07:13:15 PM »
You can justify anything to be "collectible" . Many associate "collectible" as something that will increase in value as time goes by. Unlike the 05/06 Ford GT's the late Model Shelby's typically are still depreciating and not appreciating in value. The values are different but it is hard to say which will depreciate faster between the two samples. They may never appreciate in value. There are too many of them is one reason . Just my opinion .Others may have a different one.
This^^^^ The 05-06 Ford GT is collectable expensive due to rarity and being a very limited "you had to know someone to get one car" aprox 4,000 were made. During the 2015-19 GT350 run there have been over 21,000 produced. There will be some GT350s that are "collectable" - the R is an easy pick but for a street one it'll be those that still have the plastic on the seats and show under 50 miles on the clock. Both of which extensive driving will kill the value.

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 10:26:27 PM »
I'm a late model Shelbyer, with a 2019 GT350. It's a driver with 19,000 miles on it - 1400 of which were accumulated at HPDE events. My dealer is aware of my shenanigans.

I did have a problem this summer with my 5th gear, which my local dealership repaired. While there, a salesman and I were discussing the high-end Mach E. For grins, I asked him what he'd give me for the GT350 in trade. He offered $2K more than I paid for it 3 1/2 years ago.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 11:00:07 PM »
This^^^^ The 05-06 Ford GT is collectable expensive due to rarity and being a very limited "you had to know someone to get one car" aprox 4,000 were made. During the 2015-19 GT350 run there have been over 21,000 produced. There will be some GT350s that are "collectable" - the R is an easy pick but for a street one it'll be those that still have the plastic on the seats and show under 50 miles on the clock. Both of which extensive driving will kill the value.
I am in agreement with most of what you said. Yes there are anomolies like some of the R models and others kept in pristine no or low miles condition. The 05 and 06 Ford GT you were available to buy on dealer floors after the first flurry of introduction in 05. More so the 06 then the 05. Sticker was a deal if you could get it. That is where I bought my 06 locally for sticker. The 2016-22 on the other hand you had to know someone /Ford accepted to be able to buy. The 05/06 started appreciating shortly after production stopped. The 2016 up appreciated after the 2 year mandatory owner hold back.  I meant to have added to my previous post that one should buy the late model Shelby's because they liked them and not because of monetary gain because you may be disappointed..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 11:07:21 PM »
as i had previously posted in October of this year,  this 2015 Shelby 350R #15 with 485 miles sold for $300,000

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 08:59:09 AM »
IMHO - neither is "collectable" they are both production cars. One limited production factory built and the other modified post production. Rarity and history don't enter the equation. The damage history would eliminate one for me. It might be fixed correctly but it's damaged goods that will always carry a penalty at resale. Being these are new "Shelby" cars there would probably be more insight to their following and worth on the Team Shelby website.

Car & Driver = The Shelby GT Is a Shelbyfied Ford Mustang GT.  https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a22761807/shelby-gt-gt-h-mustang-ford-2019/
Just some aftermarket add ons installed at SAI. No real performance/development work by SA --- Compared with the Mustang GT, the Shelby GT gets an estimated 480 horsepower which comes courtesy of a Borla cat-back exhaust system. Stiffer springs and anti-roll bars from the Ford Performance catalog also are included. Shelby’s own 20-inch wheels and tires round out the mechanical changes.

GT350 = True factory performance car with limited production and many factory developed tweaks. https://www.ford.com/performance/gt350/

I'd spend my $ on the GT350 and enjoy driving it. Just keep in mind that it was completely developed by SVT and badged to help with sales.

So are the 1965 to 1967 Shelby Mustangs.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 09:12:18 AM »
For you late model Shelbyers......Just curious, which of these two would be the better one to collect.  OFF LEASE AUTO in Florida has two 2019 Shelby's.  One is an SAI Shelby GT and the other is a Ford Shelby GT 350.  Both have really low Miles.

https://www.offleaseonly.com/used-cars-/Ford/2019-Ford-Mustang-58e73caf0a0e0a947bffad4567f7ea40.htm

https://www.offleaseonly.com/select/Ford/2019-Ford-Mustang-6842c6aa0a0e0a9455f25f921e01ad9a.htm

You need to clarify why you want to collect either or?

For the joy of driving it, then the Shelby GT 350 is the better driver of the two.

Or

For the potential future value, in which case, neither, unless you are talking about the value to your grandchildren 30-40 years down the road. Of course that too would depend on how they are stored, and whether such cars will be looked upon as antiques, or recyclables since there will no longer be fuel available to drive them.

Your money, you want to buy, buy them both if you can afford them, then do as I do and take each of the cars in my current garage out whenever you can.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 12:03:52 PM »
they are both production cars.

So are the 1965 to 1967 Shelby Mustangs.

Not true. Shelby American is listed as the manufacturer of those cars. They were assembled at SA from parts ("knock down" was the term for the incomplete car) supplied from Ford. The numbers Ford stamped on them was for accounting not to issue a Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO). Those came from Shelby American. They had a SA assigned and installed VIN and were warrantied by SA. SA is also the manufacturer of the Cobra not AC Cars - or Kirkham today.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »
It's a driver with 19,000 miles on it - 1400 of which were accumulated at HPDE events. My dealer is aware of my shenanigans.

I asked him what he'd give me for the GT350 in trade. He offered $2K more than I paid for it 3 1/2 years ago.

It would seem this scenario of the elevated values of used cars is a sign of the times, and perhaps not just due to it's own merits of collectability; but if one bought the car with thought that the value of the collectability was going to stay-off depreciation and lend this vehicle to recouping a greater sum of it's purchase cost when something else comes along (aka. a cheap-ride, at least monetarily  8)) ...........well, I would say, now's the time!   ;)

As far as a vehicle from the last decade or so and the value of collectability, along with the other subjects brought forth by others, there is also the subject of 'time'.   ???

Generally, but with a few exceptions, there is a chronological timeline period required for a vehicle to migrate through it's stations of being; from a new car to a used one, then somewhere in this unpretentious state if it manages to survive relatively unscathed and then down the road somewhere in time the populus happens to acquire an interest, and if that fancy proves great enough to outstrip the availability, it may begin to ascend in value. All of this being obvious, but my point is 'time', the time it's going to take for all this to happen; and I think many individuals here might want to look in the mirror and ask yourself: how much more time do I have?   :o 

Then of course, whether your investment vehicle even manages to get to that point, as remember the powers to be have a plan for our future which does seem to include these vehicles!   ::)     

Scott. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 12:39:00 PM by pbf777 »