Author Topic: Interior Door Handle: restoration question  (Read 907 times)

Craner

• View Profile
Interior Door Handle: restoration question
« on: December 04, 2022, 02:06:32 PM »
Thoughts on rechroming originals Vs going the aftermarket path.

I was inspecting my original handles today, in preparation for taking a batch of parts off to the chrome shop. My handles are beyond just doing a good polish..
I realized there is a roll pin that needs to come out. Best way to do that without damaging the handle is to carefully drill it out using an end mill. Then get the 2 parts chromed and reassemble with a new roll pin.

It’s a little bit of extra work, and cost to have them rechromed.
Worth the effort, or are the best reproductions that good, or just a “semi-decent” copies?

Thank you
Fran

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Interior Door Handle: restoration question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 02:24:35 PM »
There are no good reproductions.

The ones offered a trash, they are not indexed properly and prone to breaking

Craner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 05:35:17 AM »
Greatly appreciate the comments! SAAC Forum is awesome!
If I can find decent NOS handles, I’ll consider them, or just continue with getting mine chromed at Paul’s Chrome.

Thank you.
Fran

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 08:45:31 AM »
Greatly appreciate the comments! SAAC Forum is awesome!
If I can find decent NOS handles, I’ll consider them, or just continue with getting mine chromed at Paul’s Chrome.

Thank you.
Fran
I once bought 1 side for my 68. Bought both the cheapo and Scott Drake versions. 2007-8. I had a good pass but missing the driver side. When I put both repos on the DS they were not clocked correctly. I contacted Scott drake and their contact person said that was the first they heard of the clocking(experts told me that wasn't true) and it would take 6 months to get the process corrected(Asian parts). From what I hear after 14-15 years they still are not correct. I was able to make the non drake one fit better by elongating my holes properly(circular) for the mechanism bolt up so the handle was parallel  and  the door mechanism still worked properly. This is as far as I would go but is a lot closer than not elongating the holes. RECHROME your originals or if you are lucky buy NOS if there are any out there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 08:47:18 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

highland green

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 09:30:37 AM »
its been so long, but did other Ford, Mercury products not use the same door opener. 67-68 Merc Park Lane?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 10:04:23 AM »
Yes it was used on other cars. There are several vendors, but I would steer clear of Drake

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 11:59:57 AM »
Anytime anyone complains about fit of repro parts, the standard response is: "first we have heard of that"   :( :(

The repro handles can fit, but it would require modifying the holes in the door to make the slots longer so the handle pull can be rotated.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 12:28:51 PM »
Anytime anyone complains about fit of repro parts, the standard response is: "first we have heard of that"   :( :(

The repro handles can fit, but it would require modifying the holes in the door to make the slots longer so the handle pull can be rotated.
That is what I did back in 2007-8 in the pic I posted above. A carbide burr on my die grinder did the trick.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)