Author Topic: Is this still Badged as a Mercury?  (Read 1567 times)

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
Is this still Badged as a Mercury?
« on: December 05, 2022, 07:04:25 AM »
Is this still Badged as a Mercury? Or is it long gone?

Cobrask8

• View Profile
Re: Is this still Badged as a Mercury?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 02:05:59 PM »
Pretty Sure.....

They were badged for either one event, or one season, but then back to "FORD"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 03:44:10 PM »
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 03:50:58 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 04:02:10 PM »
NO - There were 4 badged as Mercury - https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/fords-little-known-mercury-gt40s/

pretty kool if Vic got it

A second Mercury GT40—P/1053—showed up at the 1967 Chicago Auto Show February 25–March 5. This one, the Mk I, was initially intended for singer Vic Damone, an avid sports car enthusiast. Originally painted Swan White, P/1053 wore #1 and was adorned in Mercury’s red-with-silver racing colors for the Chicago show. Oddly, a sign next to the car incorrectly referred it a “Mercury Mark II GT40,” and described it as “big brother to the GT40 Mk I which first ran at LeMans in 1964.”
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 06:29:57 PM »
NO - There were 4 badged as Mercury - https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/fords-little-known-mercury-gt40s/

A second Mercury GT40—P/1053—showed up at the 1967 Chicago Auto Show February 25–March 5. This one, the Mk I, was initially intended for singer Vic Damone, an avid sports car enthusiast. Originally painted Swan White, P/1053 wore #1 and was adorned in Mercury’s red-with-silver racing colors for the Chicago show. Oddly, a sign next to the car incorrectly referred it a “Mercury Mark II GT40,” and described it as “big brother to the GT40 Mk I which first ran at LeMans in 1964.”
Or did Henry back out of the deal when they decided to let Mercury share in the glory? Says intended not delivered.

I did find this on another site - may indicate that Vic Damone ended up with a MK3 - What does the registry say?
Post by original guvnor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:52 pm
My dad's friend has a GT40 (Vic Damone's old car) and he was offered £1m for it back in the early 90's! It's a road car though.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 06:36:47 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 07:47:19 PM »

Or did Henry back out of the deal when they decided to let Mercury share in the glory? Says intended not delivered.

I did find this on another site - may indicate that Vic Damone ended up with a MK3 - What does the registry say?
My dad's friend has a GT40 (Vic Damone's old car) and he was offered £1m for it back in the early 90's! It's a road car though.

so Vitto did own it
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 08:19:51 PM »

so Vitto did own it
Did he? Message I cited said road car not race car. Inquiring minds want to know.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 08:48:30 PM »
Damone was a good friend of Iacocca's and was the entertainment when the then new Cougar reveal was staged in the Virgin Islands for a select group of L-M dealers.

Maybe Vic got a new Cougar -

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America