News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 vs 69 GT500

Started by rdmgt500, December 06, 2022, 08:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdmgt500

I need to pick your expert brains on this subject. I'm debating between buying a 68 4spd manual GT350 or a 69 automatic GT500. Both are near concours quality. All features being equal between them, except for the trans and putting aside the fun factor for driving, what are your thoughts on just the future investment value differences? thanks!

shelbydoug

Two significantly different animals. Best solution would to buy them both. Then you can have different ways on different days.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pchmotoho

What's the cost difference between the two? Generally speaking I think the 69 may be the better investment but I buy them for fun and that being said I would take the 4 speed if it were me.

rdmgt500

Thanks. The 68 GT350 is ~$5k more than the 69 GT500 automatic.

mikeh

I don't know if this is an option for you, what about buying the 69 & using the 5K towards putting a 4 speed in it!
Or a 5 speed.....
Easy to convert back to auto if needed

rdmgt500

Interesting idea, but wouldn't make huge changes to either as the drivetrains are original. I think the further you get away from stock, the value decreases............. but yeah stick is more fun.

427hunter

I prefer the 69 to 68 but that's just personal taste. Putting taste aside, the 69 GT500 is a factory high-performance R code mustang and the 68 J code is just not a performance car in comparison.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 427hunter on December 06, 2022, 07:33:30 PM
I prefer the 69 to 68 but that's just personal taste. Putting taste aside, the 69 GT500 is a factory high-performance R code mustang and the 68 J code is just not a performance car in comparison.
I use the term SLUG on the performance of the 68 GT350. I had one(4 speed) and even did a cam change that all it did was make the car sound better but I assume it ran better than a stock one as no smog heads and a 66 390 Holley on it. I sold it after buying a 69 SCJ Mach1. Wife said add the mach1 get rid of one of the others(code for it would be the 68 as the 70 GT350 vert was going nowhere). I'd buy the 69 and add a 4 speed with the savings.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Stillakid54

As said by all above, they are two very different cars.
Is your decision to be based on: personal enjoyment factor, aesthetics, investment potential? Answer those questions, and you should have your answer where you want to put your money.
Will defer to wiser souls here, but from a pure investment perspective a big block should win out when comparing these two years head to head nearly always.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

FL SAAC

buy the 69 big block,  get a performance valve body for the C6 transmission

you will never look back, never miss a shift....68 small block please....LMAO

this is coming from a guy who currently has two early big block cars both with top loaders and two stick late model cars
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

Quote from: FL SAAC on December 07, 2022, 10:12:45 AM

this is coming from a guy who currently has two early big block cars both with top loaders and two stick late model cars
Its not about missing shifts Tony its the enjoyment of shifting a manual gearbox. Autos are boring. Quick question: How much more is a ZR-1 2019 Corvette worth with a manual VS an auto everything else being equal. Why is that? BTW I don't miss shifts.  ;D
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

pchmotoho

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 07, 2022, 11:20:00 AM
Quote from: FL SAAC on December 07, 2022, 10:12:45 AM

Its not about missing shifts Tony its the enjoyment of shifting a manual gearbox. Autos are boring. Quick question: How much more is a ZR-1 2019 Corvette worth with a manual VS an auto everything else being equal. Why is that? BTW I don't miss shifts.  ;D

Check out the price gap between a 355 Ferrari stick vs F1 trans. 

Cobrask8

Following along, but he has not answered the one question of how much will he be driving, and where. If he is only planning on highway, or back roads, the 4-speed. But any slow driving, parades, etc, auto. The factory clutch linkage is a BEAR!!!

or, get the 4-speed, convert to hydraulic clutch!

FL SAAC

Quote from: rdmgt350 on December 06, 2022, 08:46:42 AM
I need to pick your expert brains on this subject. I'm debating between buying a 68 4spd manual GT350 or a 69 automatic GT500. Both are near concours quality. All features being equal between them, except for the trans and putting aside the fun factor for driving, what are your thoughts on just the future investment value differences? thanks!

buy what you can afford and what you will enjoy

The End
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

rdmgt500

Quote from: Cobrask8 on December 07, 2022, 12:30:24 PM
Following along, but he has not answered the one question of how much will he be driving, and where. If he is only planning on highway, or back roads, the 4-speed. But any slow driving, parades, etc, auto. The factory clutch linkage is a BEAR!!!

or, get the 4-speed, convert to hydraulic clutch!

Putting usage/fun factors aside, I was mostly looking for opinions on the investment value difference.........