News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

427 Cobra at Mecum Kissimmee . Wouldn't it be worth more if it had the cammer?

Started by HistoryBuff, December 09, 2022, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryBuff

Now there's a 427 cobra S/C listed for auction at Mecum Kissimmee. Only Mecum says it is a stock 427 converted to S/C.
Here's what they claim for it:

CSX3270
Converted to S/C appearance in 1971 with additions including a hood scoop, Halibrand wheels, roll bar, side pipes, comp fuel cap and S/C lips on rear flares
In 1981 the car was converted to Competition spec by Geoff Howard of Accurate Restorations in Danbury Connecticut
The 427 CI engine was built by expert Joe La Pine of Danbury Competition engines
Ported and flowed aluminum heads
The suspension received a full Competition treatment by Howard including boxed and reinforced A-arms, Koni shocks, braided lines, bronze bushings and hardened steel sleeve inserts and grease fittings
The suspension design was replicated from CSX3002, a factory team race car that Howard used to own
Recent no expense-spared cosmetic and mechanical restoration completed in 2022
Body stripped to bare metal and finished in Guardsman Blue
Black leather interior
4-speed manual transmission
Restoration photo book included
History listed in the Shelby Registry
------------------------------------------
I poked around on the net and found a picture posted in 2004 of a 427 with that same SN having a cammer (sorry for the fuzziness of the image) Two references said it was owned by Carter Getty (Ghetty? Getti? ) a dealer, but i thought he owned the ex-Hertz gold car unrestored, npw in  Calif. Maybe as a Ford dealer he owned several Cobras in  a row. Mecum doesn't say anything 'bout  cammer so i was wondering it it would get more at the auction if it still had that ultra rare engine. When they sold S/C CSX3006 at Monterey in 2022 it didn't have the chrome grille cavity protector they have on this one, true comp cars didn't run with those. so hard to say if that will affect it topping CSX3006's price.

Bill

I know where you got this from  :o
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/10111/size/big/cat/500/ppuser/10170

Quote from: HistoryBuff on December 09, 2022, 06:45:34 PM
Now there's a 427 cobra S/C listed for auction at Mecum Kissimmee. Only Mecum says it is a stock 427 converted to S/C.
Here's what they claim for it:

CSX3270
Converted to S/C appearance in 1971 with additions including a hood scoop, Halibrand wheels, roll bar, side pipes, comp fuel cap and S/C lips on rear flares
In 1981 the car was converted to Competition spec by Geoff Howard of Accurate Restorations in Danbury Connecticut
The 427 CI engine was built by expert Joe La Pine of Danbury Competition engines
Ported and flowed aluminum heads
The suspension received a full Competition treatment by Howard including boxed and reinforced A-arms, Koni shocks, braided lines, bronze bushings and hardened steel sleeve inserts and grease fittings
The suspension design was replicated from CSX3002, a factory team race car that Howard used to own
Recent no expense-spared cosmetic and mechanical restoration completed in 2022
Body stripped to bare metal and finished in Guardsman Blue
Black leather interior
4-speed manual transmission
Restoration photo book included
History listed in the Shelby Registry
------------------------------------------
I poked around on the net and found a picture posted in 2004 of a 427 with that same SN having a cammer (sorry for the fuzziness of the image) Two references said it was owned by Carter Getty (Ghetty? Getti? ) a dealer, but i thought he owned the ex-Hertz gold car unrestored, npw in  Calif. Maybe as a Ford dealer he owned several Cobras in  a row. Mecum doesn't say anything 'bout  cammer so i was wondering it it would get more at the auction if it still had that ultra rare engine. When they sold S/C CSX3006 at Monterey in 2022 it didn't have the chrome grille cavity protector they have on this one, true comp cars didn't run with those. so hard to say if that will affect it topping CSX3006's price.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

honker

Here's a couple of shots I took of CSX3270 at a Ferrari meet at Mosport, Ontario, Canada, in 1984. One in the garage at the track,

and one at the host hotel. It was owned by Dwight Dehne at the time. I think I had these up on forum 1.

Mike

98SVT - was 06GT

Original is where the money is. Even converting it to the more desirable SC will rate a deduction and/or pass in the eyes of some buyers.
If the SOHC had been put in and documented at SA then that's the engine it should have. Being in it now you'd expect to only see the cammer/stock head engine value increase not a higher oddball factory built increase.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless