Author Topic: Lower dollar Shelby Projects coming out of the woodwork- I want one  (Read 1426 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Between firsthand stories and of course the volume of recent YouTube videos there has been at least 10 Shelby project finds recently and many of them were bought by well know YouTubers and dealers who frequent this forum for in the 30's into the 40 thousand's range. I don't own a Shelby and as I've been looking, I have noticed far more projects being pulled out of yards/barns/garages in recent months than in recent years (aging ownership base, economy- who knows for sure).  I love hearing the stories and the idea of these guys hopefully saving and not just flipping another Shelby.  I would like to get into a 1968 or earlier lower end PROJECT in that sub 50k range similar to many of these recent finds. I know of the dealers who sell projects who post here but prefer to buy direct from an owner (obviously to avoid a 10-20k flipping mark-up) I know some of these are being sold so the seller can have their two minutes of fame but if someone has one being neglected, is ready to sell in this price range, and doesn't need to be featured in a YouTube video then please PM me directly.

(p.s. I know it's unlikely that I'll find a Shelby this way with this price range, but I figured why not ask and at least get to speak about my amazement of the volume of recent finds)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Lower dollar Shelby Projects coming out of the woodwork- I want one
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 11:24:18 AM »
Im not sure where you sourced those prices from?

You might be surprised to learn many of these "projects" are north of $50k

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 02:16:46 PM »
You want one?I want 2!(at that price ;))

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 03:03:17 PM »
I agree, the prices are all over the place from that red 68 500 (1385) we saw sold for 73k on bring a trailer to the rusty blue (1769) 350 I saw last listed at 47k OBO on eBay and of course the ones higher like the 80K 67 GT500 that was in Hemmings from Alaska (too far for me  :)) to some of the even lower end sub 50K cars (without looking back I know of two fastbacks and one tired convertible) that have traded hands recently in not so public ways lately.  My problem is I usually hear about them about a week after they are gone LOL.

We all know the real good ones will always bring big dollars but sometimes getting a project without original fiberglass or original drivetrain (and throw in some rust) is the only way some people can get behind the wheel of a Shelby.  If I only kept some of the cars from my past!!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 03:07:55 PM »
Keep looking it will pay off...

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 04:06:11 PM »
I agree, the prices are all over the place from that red 68 500 (1385) we saw sold for 73k on bring a trailer to the rusty blue (1769) 350 I saw last listed at 47k OBO on eBay and of course the ones higher like the 80K 67 GT500 that was in Hemmings from Alaska (too far for me  :)) to some of the even lower end sub 50K cars (without looking back I know of two fastbacks and one tired convertible) that have traded hands recently in not so public ways lately.  My problem is I usually hear about them about a week after they are gone LOL.

We all know the real good ones will always bring big dollars but sometimes getting a project without original fiberglass or original drivetrain (and throw in some rust) is the only way some people can get behind the wheel of a Shelby.  If I only kept some of the cars from my past!!
.  If I’m not mistaken the Alaskan car is cycling through cape cod mustang.On the website as sale pending at an asking price of 99k.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 04:47:01 PM »
Same old tune - everyone wants a “deal” - we have had the same treads posted over and over again by different people. Good cars sell quick and for a lot, but unless you have actually restored a car, a cheap rusty mess like that 68 350 that was on eBay might not be your best bet. The reality is there are no cheap Shelby’s anymore - you either pay up front or pay along the way.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 04:52:30 PM by 427hunter »
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 09:18:52 PM »
Same old tune - everyone wants a “deal” - we have had the same treads posted over and over again by different people. Good cars sell quick and for a lot, but unless you have actually restored a car, a cheap rusty mess like that 68 350 that was on eBay might not be your best bet. The reality is there are no cheap Shelby’s anymore - you either pay up front or pay along the way.

We have a band over here called the Whitlams and they have a great song line “you buy now and pay later”
Good cars sell for good money and appreciate
6S373
6S1276

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 08:49:50 AM »
Stating the obvious here, but...

Get involved with and be active in the leadership of a club.

Be kind, patient, helpful and easy-to-get along with and willing to share your knowledge, collection, etc.

Attend lots of local cruise-ins and be kind, patient, helpful......

The cars, parts, memorabilia, etc. will not only start to find you but they may even show up at your door.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

daltondavid

• SAAC Member
  • 2005 FORD GT #991
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 06:43:28 PM »
I am pretty well versed in the hobby. my number one piece of advice I can give you is this: Follow up on every lead you hear about. let everyone you know that you are interested in finding an old Mustang. preferably a Shelby. remember not everybody is even aware what a Shelby ois but they know what a Mustang is!! good luck in your pursuits!
Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM