News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT500 carbs

Started by BDT 739, September 11, 2023, 07:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDT 739

I just rebuilt the BJ/BK carbs on my GT500. What are the opinions on the .125" check ball for the secondaries diaphragm of the BK carb. Use or not?

pbf777

YES!

Scott.

Kent

The check ball is in both carbs, you also can take them out there is not really a difference.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Drew Pojedinec

I install them. Just make a bypass notch in the ball seat.
Not using them often makes the action a little too fast.

pbf777

Quote from: Drew Pojedinec on September 12, 2023, 02:41:09 PM
Not using them often makes the action a little too fast.

+1

And too early an opening and/or rate of opening can cause a hesitation/slump in the vehicles' acceleration rate as there may not be an adequate air velocity presented at the venturi boosters in order to draw fuel into the air stream.   :)

Scott.

BDT 739

Thanks for all the input. I have been running the carbs without the check ball for many years and haven't noticed any problems. After the quotes from the members I will be putting them back in and check on the modifications to the ball seat.
Thanks
Bryan

Drew Pojedinec

Like anything, your mileage may vary.
Do what works.

If going without is fine for you, so be it

Kent

Just to add this it depend on the cam also and your setting, vacuum etc. on stock to the bone 428 PI´s I would keep the check balls. On modified engines the most times they run better without, its just testing it, try it without them and with the check balls installed there is definitely a difference.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68