Author Topic: 66 tach help  (Read 1402 times)

Tomdeg

• View Profile
66 tach help
« on: December 05, 2022, 07:03:12 PM »
Hey All,
Wondering if this is correct.The date on my tach is April 19 1966. The wires look wrong in color and gauge. The other tachs I’ve seen have red, black, and blue wires. Mine are red, green, and yellow. Also the gauge of the wire seems smaller than the other wires under the dash. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 66 tach help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 08:03:05 PM »
It is hard to say for sure because of the pictures but the yellow wire could have been added because it is not typical. The green wire looks like it may be faded blue in my monitor looking at the picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Tomdeg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 08:26:58 PM »
It's definitely green. Its also solid core wire as opposed to twisted strand.

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 08:56:08 PM »
Original wires may have been replaced at some point without attention to using the same color or guage wires ?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 12:01:54 AM »
It's definitely green. Its also solid core wire as opposed to twisted strand.
You should have mentioned it was solid core wire. That confirms that it has been replaced.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Tomdeg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 11:44:44 AM »
My mistake, the wires are stranded.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »
Relatively easy solution is to change the wires back to the color that they typically are then no one will wonder. It is not a big job.

Tomdeg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 01:25:14 PM »
I'm afraid if I take the bezel off, I will break the tabs. Are replacement bezels available?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 03:51:06 PM »
I'm afraid if I take the bezel off, I will break the tabs. Are replacement bezels available?
Of course you can do nothing and live with the mis matched wires. Yes bezels are available but as far as I know only from donor like style tachs. FYI not all like style tachs are 9K Cobra ones. Has the bezel been off before where you think that the metal is fatigued enough to break? It typically takes multiple times of heavy handed bending and unbending to fatigue the metal enough to break. Think of how many times it takes to break a hanger wire in two. Of course it takes more bends of a hanger wire to break it but you get the idea. Same principle.

Tomdeg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 04:41:42 PM »
Well, we know for sure the tabs were bent at least twice to change the wires. I tried to bend one of the tabs (very gently) and it broke. I wouldn't mind cleaning the face and changing the wires, but not at the risk of breaking any more tabs unless I could get a replacement. Where would I look for a replacement?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 06:32:50 PM »
Well, we know for sure the tabs were bent at least twice to change the wires. I tried to bend one of the tabs (very gently) and it broke. I wouldn't mind cleaning the face and changing the wires, but not at the risk of breaking any more tabs unless I could get a replacement. Where would I look for a replacement?
Ebay ,swap meets,word of mouth etc. The same places and ways you find other rare used auto parts and memorabilia. Sorry no easy button on this one.

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 08:39:52 PM »
Give Phil a call. Good guy and he does answer the phone. Restored a tach for me, great job.

https://www.phidonrestorations.com/contact.php

Tomdeg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 01:03:03 PM »
Great. Thanks for the help, guys.