Author Topic: 66 quarter glass trim  (Read 1299 times)

Ashep65k

• View Profile
66 quarter glass trim
« on: December 11, 2022, 11:49:08 PM »
Hello guys looking for some help here. I purchased a 1965 FB from a friend of mine Included in the purchase was a pair of 66 Shelby quarter glass’es the plexiglass windows were all busted up and the gaskets were dry rotted but the stainless trim is in pretty good condition. I really don’t need these things and might want to sell them but I have no idea how to identify if they are original or aftermarket. Is there any way to tell factory from aftermarket on these things? He said he took them off a 66 GT350 in a junk yard back in the 70’s and as much as I want to believe him I do not want to advertise them incorrectly. Thanks for any help you can provide I figured one of you guys would know

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: 66 quarter glass trim
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 02:38:39 AM »
Hi Ashep65K,

First, welcome to the forum.  Second, if they are stainless, they are reproduction.  Originals are aluminum.  A picture might help.

Cory

Ashep65k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 10:46:23 AM »
Hi Cory thanks yes they are aluminum I miss-spoke and will attach a picture for you.  I polished them up FYI.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 08:48:21 PM »
Hi Ashep65K,

Are the non-metal trim pieces plastic or fiberglass?  Originals are plastic with texture, suggesting that the aluminum trim is also original.  If the non-metal trim is fiberglass, making them repops, that would suggest the aluminum pieces are re-pop.  Both original and repop aluminum trim are, you guessed it, both aluminum.  If you wanted to get real serious, you would need to have the materials  analyzed for the added alloys.  There should be a difference to originals if repop.  I'd say all the pieces look original.

Cory
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:54:47 PM by 6s1640 »

Ashep65k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 05:01:50 AM »
Thanks Cory,
I appreciate the reply and they are plastic i appreciate the reply and the help. That’s all I was looking for was some indication they were real and not fake. I do not feel an analysis would be worth it. I would not be asking that much for them I would really rather see them go back were they belong on a real GT350. I will post them on the parts part of the forum

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 02:48:41 PM »
 I thought I would mention for others reading that the 66 GT350 quarter trim was originally brite dip anodized. Repros are not. You can not easily polish anodized parts . Many originals have had the anodizing stripped off so that they can be polished.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

poboy427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 07:20:49 PM »
Sent you a PM
6S554 Family owed since May 15,1974. Confirmed original alum T-10 4spd, MICO,

SPF 0373 Cobra S/C, Shelby alum 488 stroker FE Tunnel Port, TKO

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 08:42:31 PM »
I recently had a pieces of aluminum hood trim anodized.  It was not cheap.  If you need a contact, drop me a PM.

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 09:47:50 PM »
I recently had a pieces of aluminum hood trim anodized.  It was not cheap.  If you need a contact, drop me a PM.

Cory
It is important to add that the Brite Dip anodizing is different then regular anodizing. Brite dip is the proper anodizing that the automotive industry uses on polished or shiny trim pieces to maintain the shiny look. Not every place that does anodizing does Brite dip anodizing. It is a special process. If you take a piece of shiny trim and do regular clear anodizing the trim will come out much duller then if Brite Dip anodized.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 06:23:44 AM »
I agree they look legit. I think the rubbers in them are a good indicator. The repo rubbers are terrible and never sit like the originals. I hope you reunite them with a car in need

Best wishes

6S373
6S1276

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 05:04:11 PM »

Cory
It is important to add that the Brite Dip anodizing is different then regular anodizing. Brite dip is the proper anodizing that the automotive industry uses on polished or shiny trim pieces to maintain the shiny look. Not every place that does anodizing does Brite dip anodizing. It is a special process. If you take a piece of shiny trim and do regular clear anodizing the trim will come out much duller then if Brite Dip anodized.

Hi Bob,

Agreed.  My guy brite anodizes.

Cory