News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What does your car know about you ?

Started by FL SAAC, December 14, 2022, 07:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Big Brother

1. Hard braking instances and where they took place

2. Hard acceleration instances and where they took place

3. Speeds over 80mph

4. Distance driven

5. Late night driving (driving between 12am and 4am)

6. Average miles per gallon, miles per hour and total idle time.

This information is recorded automatically and provided to GM.  GM's Privacy Statement states that this information will be made available to law enforcement if it is subpoenaed.

[Driving surveillance: What does your car know about you? We hacked a 2017 Chevy to find out. - The Washington Post](https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/12/17/what-does-your-car-know-about-you-we-hacked-chevy-find-out/)
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Good reason not to buy a bow tie.......amongst many others.

6s2055

It knows and remembers the good times on the passenger side parked and watching (?) the submarine races at the marina in 1967!

67 GT350

I think to be private a 1996 or older works well?
RARE  Signature Delete

vtgt500

Wonder if there is a way to clear that memory log?  I ordered a basic, work series truck with no GPS/Sync just to avoid compiling data to be used against me.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 557 on December 14, 2022, 11:04:18 AM
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING:
ALL cars with OBDII gather this info. .gov wants OBDIII which can also transmit the info to the nearest cell tower. Speed and they'll mail you a ticket. Smog device messed up? They'll mail you a letter. Ignore the letter and they can transmit a limp home signal to the car or shut it off entirely until you get it repaired and get their permission to reactivate it. The ACLU has been fighting OBDIII for over 15 years.
After a serious accident the first thing an investigator will do is download the info from the OBDII port - gives them speed, brake input, steering angles, etc. Is it legal? I'd say no but they argue the info is only saved for a short period and it could also prove you are innocent of a driving infraction.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 557 on December 14, 2022, 11:04:18 AM
Amongst many others? How about all of them? While I'm not paranoid about it like i'm sure some are many years ago I had a Camaro SS from work for the week. Going to work at night my service engine light came on. I hit the little button while going 70 down the freeway and OnStar diagnosed the problem. A minor one as in low clutch hydraulic oil. Car still worked fine. When I turned it back in a few days later I noted as such. I've locked my current car from afar and such at times. I can locate my vehicle when on vacation to make sure it is still where I left it. If it isn't your car giving away info on you its your cell phone, credit cards, laptop, whatever. Big brother has been watching for a long time now. Those who don't like it there are alternatives-go live under a rock.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Or don't participate.It's a matter of choice.One of the many reasons I don't own a smart phone.