News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ed Pinks - going away

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, December 15, 2022, 07:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Mr Pink at 92 is in great shape and as always a true gentleman. 

Unbelievable that Mr Iskenderian is at 101, bless them both.

The new development (a parking lot) is called progress,  he will do well as he has been on site since 1965,  especially if he owns the ground and assets. Plus his business value. Should do well.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on December 15, 2022, 08:54:34 PMUnbelievable that Mr Iskenderian is at 101, bless them both.

In the 80s I was looking for a 409 cam. I had an oddball that had experimental heads and a M/T cross ram. The guy at Iskys stuck his head in the bosses office and the next thing I knew I was sitting across from him choking on the cigar smoke. We talked for a few minutes and said you need this cam. I don't have one in stock but there is one over at Bell Auto Parts. I paid him and went there to pick it up. I last saw him at the Hot Rod Magazine 70th aniv. I was there early and got a couple great shots of him and his old roadster before he got mobbed. I hope he's at the 75th next year.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

Brett:  I went to Isky's Gardena shop once, for some sort of tech article, back in my Popular Hot Rodding days...probably 1983-84ish.

I'd never met him before, but had certainly heard plenty of colorful stories. The place looked like a hoarder's garage, and he puffed on his cigar constantly, only pausing to eat pea soup he'd overheated in a microwave.  He blew and blew on the spoonful and then offered me some.  Unique old dude, and definitely knows/knew his sh!t.

His old Culver City shop on Jefferson Blvd right next to the 405 freeway was still there the last time I was in CC, earlier this year. You can still see the 1960's-era "Iskenderian Cams" name on the outside. I'm astonished it's still there. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

silverton_ford

If you watch the video entirely, he is just relocating. 

He is waiting for the city to let everyone on his block know when he has to be gone.  He is currently searching for a new location.    The title of video leads your imagination that he is closing, but he doesn't say that.  I had to watch it myself to be sure.

deathsled

Since 1965 to present.  Talk about dedication to the craft.  Very impressive.  Thank you for posting.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

sd427

Quote from: Side-Oilers on December 15, 2022, 11:13:07 PM
His old Culver City shop on Jefferson Blvd right next to the 405 freeway was still there the last time I was in CC, earlier this year. You can still see the 1950's-era "Iskenderian Cams" name on the outside. I'm astonished it's still there.

I go by it all the time, and admire the name.  They painted the building some years back, but painted around the lettering.

When I talked to Isky at Bonneville ten or so years ago, and asked him about that building, he said it was the first property he ever bought for the business.

Side-Oilers

sd427:  Very cool. 

Going off topic a bit, but you're in my home town, driving through Culver City.  Home of Traco and others. 

If you continue on Jefferson on the other (West) side of the 405, where Hughes Aircraft used to be, was our nearly two mile long street race area.  It's still an industrial area with few side streets, and 3 lanes of arrow-straight pavement each direction.

In the '70s, especially at night, it was practically deserted. Good for top speed runs, except for the stoplight at both ends that tested out our cars' crappy brakes. I went through the red at Jefferson at Lincoln Bl at nearly100 mph one scary time when the brake pedal went to the floor. Yes, there was cross-traffic.  It scared my buddy so much, he had to get out my car and sit on the curb for about 15 minutes.

That giant Hughes property (my dad worked there for 30+ years) is now mostly taken up by internet companies. The humongous building that housed the Spruce Goose has been converted into sound stages.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

sd427

Had a chance to stop and take some pics of the Isky building on Slauson, in Culver City.

FL SAAC

Quote from: sd427 on January 21, 2023, 07:55:50 PM
Had a chance to stop and take some pics of the Isky building on Slauson, in Culver City.

very kool, thank for sharing
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert