News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT350 VIN Conflict

Started by jasonty, December 15, 2022, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonty

Hello,

I first reached out to the Club, sometime over 12yrs ago..... I still haven't made a lot of progress convincing my Dad to get his 1969 GT350 (Auto, Fastback, Orange w/ black/gold stripes) back on the road (I can't physically get to it very easy).  That said, my parents are getting older now, so I'm going to have to start insisting some things get taken care of.   

Years ago when I contacted the Club I stated the VIN was 9F02M481486 ('84 re-issue Virginia Title [it was used for collateral for something] & Insurance Card); However, the response I received was that the VIN was incorrect.  I was informed that the correct VIN was 9F02M481586. 

I'm assuming, that the VIN on the title was messed up in '84 or prior, and the way it was know to be wrong was either- someone else owns that VIN or it never existed.

Little background, my Dad purchased this car (against someone's wishes...) 12-24-70 (loan date) off a used car lot in Winchester, VA.  It had just been traded in, and I believe Dad is the 2nd owner and actually knew the original owner.  The car was daily driven up until ~1980 when Mom & I had a flat tire, the can of air didn't work.., and Dad took it off the road.  Shortly there after, it went into the garage to never see the road again.

Currently, it is sitting at ~54k, had a respray (potentially partial) on the hood/fenders due to some gravel chips, if memory services me correctly.  Tires & normal maintenance parts are not original, and I believe there was some issue w/ the drivers door window (maybe not sealing correctly). Otherwise, it is damn near perfect, at least for me!

Anyways,  just checking in.

Thanks,
Jason Yancey
Stephens City, VA
Merkur Club of America #33

davez

Coralsnake

Jason, first please delete that title picture from your post. Too many unscrupulous peoples around.

The second thing you need to do is determine if there is an error on the title.

The Ford serial number is several places on the car

Windshield tag lower drivers side corner of glass

Warranty tag on back of drivers door

Stamped in top of panels under fender lips. These may require loosening or removing fenders to peek under or maybe be visible from bottom above the wheels

Lets figure out what the car says and not what the title says

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com if you want more discreet assistance

1486 was a GT500 / Cobra Jet car

430dragpack

Is the title pictured a reissue since it's dated 1984 and you said your father bought the car in 1970?  I agree with Coralsnake in verifying the fender apron VINs, etc.  Do you have any of the earliest paperwork from when your dad bought it with a different VIN?

jasonty

Deleted.  Yes, I know where the Nos. are, I just can't get to the car do to a semi-hoarder packing the garage to the rafters! The Warranty Tag- I forgot to get a pic of that years ago when I could get to the door.  Under the hood is not accessible.  When I reached out years ago, the Registry fellow was instant that the VIN he provided me was correct, but yes, I need to dig the car out and verify for myself.  I'm also going to see if I can find the original title in the near future. jasonty@rocketmail.com is my contact.  Thank You for posting.

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 15, 2022, 06:21:15 PM
Jason, first please delete that title picture from your post. Too many unscrupulous peoples around.

Stamped in top of panels under fender lips. These may require loosening or removing fenders to peek under or maybe be visible from bottom above the wheels

jasonty

I have my Mom digging around now, and I'm going to try and start looking myself to get this sorted.  Thank You.

Quote from: jasonty on December 15, 2022, 06:46:24 PM
Deleted.  Yes, I know where the Nos. are, I just can't get to the car do to a semi-hoarder packing the garage to the rafters! The Warranty Tag- I forgot to get a pic of that years ago when I could get to the door.  Under the hood is not accessible.  When I reached out years ago, the Registry fellow was instant that the VIN he provided me was correct, but yes, I need to dig the car out and verify for myself.  I'm also going to see if I can find the original title in the near future. jasonty@rocketmail.com is my contact.  Thank You for posting.

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 15, 2022, 06:21:15 PM

Coralsnake

Let the car talk to you

Heck mom can read the door tag or the windshield tag! Thats the best way to get this sorted.

Keep us posted

Thank you for the edit. Sometimes too much information in the public domain can cause trouble

jasonty

Yes, reissued.  I'm not really sure why, just know it was used as colleterial for a loan in '84.  I have my Mother digging for paperwork, and I'm going to have to go dig in myself, and try and get the garage door open so I can get to the hood.

Quote from: 430dragpack on December 15, 2022, 06:29:13 PM
Is the title pictured a reissue since it's dated 1984 and you said your father bought the car in 1970?  I agree with Coralsnake in verifying the fender apron VINs, etc.  Do you have any of the earliest paperwork from when your dad bought it with a different VIN?

jasonty

Seriously, the thing is entombed in the garage & the door won't go up............it's a freakin mess.  I'll need to kick myself into gear and get to work!

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 15, 2022, 06:48:52 PM
Let the car talk to you

Heck mom can read the door tag or the windshield tag! Thats the best way to get this sorted.

Keep us posted

Thank you for the edit. Sometimes too much information in the public domain can cause trouble