News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

McMurtry Speirling hypercar breaks 1/4 mile record for production car

Started by deathsled, December 22, 2022, 05:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on December 22, 2022, 05:52:27 PM
Strange looking hypercar.  But it is quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TptzkkbC1vE

your kind and subtle words on the "strange" vehicle, we woukd just call it "McFugly"and we concur it is more than el fasto!
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

The ghost of Jim Hall's 2J CanAm car.......

The Chaparral 2J is powered by an aluminum Chevrolet ZL1 engine, 427 cubic inches and producing 650 horsepower at 7000 RPM. It is paired to a clutchless semi-automatic three-speed transaxle. With a fiberglass resin body, it weighs hardly over 1800 pounds. The auxiliary engine, mounted behind the rear wheels, is a Rockwell JLO 247cc two-stroke, two-cylinder, 45-horsepower engine, usually found powering snowmobiles. At full power, it makes an ear-splitting, high-pitched drone, like the buzzing of mechanical wasps from hell. The two rear fans are lifted from a M-109 Howitzer and capable of pushing out 9650 cubic feet of air per minute at 6000 RPM. With the Chevrolet engine off, rumor has it, they can even push the car forward at 25 to 40 miles per hour. The fans draw air from the bottom of the car and send it—along with dust, debris, oil sprays, and the occasional grass clippings—to the back, presumably into the faces of other drivers. These drivers inevitably raised a stink to Hall about it: we can't see when you're in front, we're getting sprayed with all of this debris. "Well," said the taciturn Hall, "why don't you pass me then?"
There's more. To create a negative pressure vacuum that would suck the car to the ground, the car featured skirts around the rear three-quarters of the car. Hall approached General Electric to use its relatively new invention, Lexan: a polycarbonate plastic material that was light, flexible, strong, and most importantly, unbreakable. The skirts moved up and down through a system of cables, pulleys, and machined arms that were bolted to the suspension. The result was a near-constant alignment to the road surface. With the fans on, the car would hunker down by two inches.
The result of all this complexity was constant downforce—at any speed, through any corner. Theoretically, the 2J could generate up to 2200 pounds of downforce. Fully fueled, the 2J could pull from 1.25 to 1.5gs through turns. "We can go full throttle without wheelspin or uncontrollable oversteer," Hall told Competition Press in 1970. "You can't imagine the car can stop as fast or corner as hard as this one does."
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

"Turd II.  Ugly as hell and fast as sh!t." 

Kudos to the engineering team, though. That's a machine!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Quote from: Side-Oilers on December 22, 2022, 07:35:59 PM
"Turd II.  Ugly as hell and fast as sh!t." 

Kudos to the engineering team, though. That's a machine!

+1 exemplary descriptive wording on that "automotive marvel "
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Kent

greatest bullshi.... I have seen since a long time in automotive this car is a 1 seater and far away from regular production like a F150 or Focus. And I have the same box they use and these boxes are not working in cars with very high hp and acceleration due to the signal rate of the gps/gnss, and if you start right and fast from 0 the box easily needs 1 second before it know that you are on the fly and during the acceleration the signal rate is not fast enough to make real world results. I can also go low 8s with these boxes in my 9.8 sec mustang. If you want to results that are real go on a 1/4 mile track and a lot of people from YouTube with their boxes will see how slow they are.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

crossboss

Quote from: Kent on December 25, 2022, 02:51:49 AM
greatest bullshi.... I have seen since a long time in automotive this car is a 1 seater and far away from regular production like a F150 or Focus. And I have the same box they use and these boxes are not working in cars with very high hp and acceleration due to the signal rate of the gps/gnss, and if you start right and fast from 0 the box easily needs 1 second before it know that you are on the fly and during the acceleration the signal rate is not fast enough to make real world results. I can also go low 8s with these boxes in my 9.8 sec mustang. If you want to results that are real go on a 1/4 mile track and a lot of people from YouTube with their boxes will see how slow they are.

Very well said! Take this car to a real dragstrip, and run it. IF it will pass tech. Btw, how much is this car? Im sure most guys can build a 'real car' for a heck of a lot less.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on December 27, 2022, 11:54:34 AM...... Btw, how much is this car? Im sure most guys can build a 'real car' for a heck of a lot less.

I'd wager the biggest Big 3 factory crate motor and controls would be less than just the electronics in this thing.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

honker

That looks like a CGI created on a computer , Batmobile's offspring, or a squashed Viper  ???