News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

enhancing a photo

Started by shelbymann1970, December 28, 2022, 02:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Quote from: propayne on December 31, 2022, 09:27:57 AM
From a graphics perspective - I opened up your pic that is the subject of this thread and it is 72dpi - a very low resolution.

Do you have access to that original photograph or know who does?

That needs to be scanned into a computer at a very high resolution, 1200dpi or so and then you can blow it way up and see what information is readable.

- Phillip

This is about the best I can do without it getting really grainy.
1500 x 687
Forum software compresses size

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbymann1970

Quote from: propayne on December 31, 2022, 09:27:57 AM
From a graphics perspective - I opened up your pic that is the subject of this thread and it is 72dpi - a very low resolution.

Do you have access to that original photograph or know who does?

That needs to be scanned into a computer at a very high resolution, 1200dpi or so and then you can blow it way up and see what information is readable.

- Phillip
Larry Lawrence but he is now deceased. My new year's resolution is to go to his old shop and see if his widow is running it or I can find her through the shop. Larry had a bunch of photos he said but was protective as he lent out the "Kar Kraft Aerial view" that he commissioned a pilot to take to a Mustang  "Judge" and never got the photo back. It is all over the internet. My friend Mark was going to follow up with Larry to try and scan his original photos he had but then Larry passed away.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

propayne

I am not a photo forensics expert - just a graphic artist that does a lot of scanning - but in my experience you need to go back to that original print or even better the original negative.

The info just isn't there in that low-res jpeg.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

shelbymann1970

Quote from: propayne on December 31, 2022, 11:29:12 AM
I am not a photo forensics expert - just a graphic artist that does a lot of scanning - but in my experience you need to go back to that original print or even better the original negative.

- Phillip
Thanks.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

honker

I wonder where Charlie Henry who wrote the Kar-Kraft book got those photos, would it have been Larry Lawrence ? The book was

published in 2017 was Lawrence still alive then ?

Mike

s2ms

Quote from: propayne on December 31, 2022, 11:29:12 AM

- Phillip

+1. That image has to many things going against it to do anything further that would be useful. Low resolution is one, JPG compression artifacts is another. If you do have access to the original photo or negative, rescanning at high resolution as mentioned by Phillip is very important, also saving initially as an uncompressed TIF would eliminate any JPG artifacts.
Dave - 6S1757