News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sway bar brackets?

Started by Dennis Y, December 27, 2022, 10:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Y

Is it a safe assumption these are from an aftermarket sway bar?

Coralsnake

1969 Shelbys did not use rear sway bars and Ford would not have used screws to attach the brackets

So, I agree ... not oem
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Dennis Y

Pretty much what I was thinking, thanks!

crossboss

Yes, aftermarket. Btw, some 1970s did have rear sway bars. Mine did. They were mounted exactly the same as Boss 302s, and Mach-1s.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on December 27, 2022, 11:48:27 AM
Yes, aftermarket. Btw, some 1970s did have rear sway bars. Mine did. They were mounted exactly the same as Boss 302s, and Mach-1s.
70 Shelby's were not specified to come from the factory with rear sway bars. This is not to say that you didn't find one on a 70 Shelby just that it most likely had been added after leaving Ford and or AO Smith. If a factory mistake happened you will have to provide some type reasonable proof in concours for example . FYI Past owner testimony has been proven flawed in the past so that is not considered valid. Outside of concours without reasonable proof you will be viewed as just another owner trying to justify a non original part as factory ,there are many so don't be surprised.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

crossboss

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 27, 2022, 12:09:41 PM
Quote from: crossboss on December 27, 2022, 11:48:27 AM
70 Shelby's were not specified to come from the factory with rear sway bars. This is not to say that you didn't find one on a 70 Shelby just that it most likely had been added after leaving Ford and or AO Smith. If a factory mistake happened you will have to provide some type reasonable proof in concours for example . FYI Past owner testimony has been proven flawed in the past so that is not considered valid. Outside of concours without reasonable proof you will be viewed as just another owner trying to justify a non original part as factory ,there are many so don't be surprised.

Original owner was a brass hat car. It was sent to KK. Had all sorts of unusual stuff on it. 0F02R483129. I bought it in 1984 from the original owners. Never modified.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Coralsnake

If sounds like a great car, those modifications were probably there in 1984 (+14 years after build) and might have been added by the previous owner.

I agree with Mr Gaines, it's unlikely they were done by Kar Kraft. Like AO Smith they had a very specific contract to make very specific changes to the "1970" cars. I doubt they spent a lot of time freelancing on any one car, no matter who it was intended for.

crossboss

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 28, 2022, 06:42:13 AM
If sounds like a great car, those modifications were probably there in 1984 (+14 years after build) and might have been added by the previous owner.

I agree with Mr Gaines, it's unlikely they were done by Kar Kraft. Like AO Smith they had a very specific contract to make very specific changes to the "1970" cars. I doubt they spent a lot of time freelancing on any one car, no matter who it was intended for.

The car was sent to KK for all of the 1970 model year changes, including the California smog (emissions). I'm 99% confidant the original owner did not do all/any of the 'upgrades' including with D0 (1970) plastic inner part numbers, 1970 rear side marker lights, XE parts, etc. This stuff was too elaborate for an 'owner' to swap out when new. Odd cars were built. This was one of them. I'm not saying that I owned a 'special' car. As the saying goes, "$hi! happens".
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on December 28, 2022, 06:06:33 PM

The car was sent to KK for all of the 1970 model year changes, including the California smog (emissions). I'm 99% confidant the original owner did not do all/any of the 'upgrades' including with D0 (1970) plastic inner part numbers, 1970 rear side marker lights, XE parts, etc. This stuff was too elaborate for an 'owner' to swap out when new. Odd cars were built. This was one of them. I'm not saying that I owned a 'special' car. As the saying goes, "$hi! happens".
The 69/70 Shelby registrar apparently isn't convinced on some of the out of the ordinary "upgrades" given the "many chassis modifications" entry in the 2014 registry.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Doesn't the sway bar occupy the same space as the transverse muffler?  ;)

crossboss

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 28, 2022, 08:59:12 PM

The 69/70 Shelby registrar apparently isn't convinced on some of the out of the ordinary "upgrades" given the "many chassis modifications" entry in the 2014 registry.

I disagree. SAAC is always correct...not. Like I mentioned, I purchased the car from the original owners in 1984. It was a virgin car.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on December 29, 2022, 01:51:37 PM

I disagree. SAAC is always correct...not. Like I mentioned, I purchased the car from the original owners in 1984. It was a virgin car.
I can think of numerous reasons why the out of the ordinary claims you made are not valid . Not to be unnecessarily harsh but SAAC has more credibility and credentials in this instance to validate their position then your undocumented ,unproven ,and extra ordinary claims . Here say past owner testimony is not considered reliable as extra ordinary proof given the many times it has been proven wrong in other similar circumstances in the past . Expect push back when promoting what others consider false facts that may unknowingly be used by readers to restore cars by.

crossboss

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 29, 2022, 02:57:05 PM
Quote from: crossboss on December 29, 2022, 01:51:37 PM

I can think of numerous reasons why the out of the ordinary claims you made are not valid . Not to be unnecessarily harsh but SAAC has more credibility and credentials in this instance to validate their position then your undocumented ,unproven ,and extra ordinary claims . Here say past owner testimony is not considered reliable as extra ordinary proof given the many times it has been proven wrong in other similar circumstances in the past . Expect push back when promoting what others consider false facts that may unknowingly be used by readers to restore cars by.

Bob,
With all due respect you are incorrect on all aspects. I know what I had, the car was built that way. The owners did not modify the car in any way. YOU were not there, YOU have not seen the car. We are done with this back and forth debate.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Coralsnake

Bob

YOU obviously don't understand that Kar Kraft was fully capable of adding new 1970 parts and expensive experimental parts, at no charge or recorded on any invoice, to a car that was not even designated as an engineering vehicle. Not to mention everyone there realized the Shelby program had ended.

They did all these modifications for free before the car was shipped to the other side of the country for a retail sale with no regard to the fact it likely voided the warranty provided by Ford.

(Sarcasm font)

🤪

crossboss

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 29, 2022, 03:48:21 PM
Bob

YOU obviously don't understand that Kar Kraft was fully capable of adding new 1970 parts and expensive experimental parts, at no charge or recorded on any invoice, to a car that was not even designated as an engineering vehicle. Not to mention everyone there realized the Shelby program had ended.

They did all these modifications for free before the car was shipped to the other side of the country for a retail sale with no regard to the fact it likely voided the warranty provided by Ford.

(Sarcasm font)

🤪

EXACTLY!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30