Author Topic: 1966 Rear brake air ducting question  (Read 2212 times)

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1966 Rear brake air ducting question
« on: December 30, 2022, 01:08:06 PM »
Is the rear brake air ducting piece that attaches to the body and the hose slips over plastic or fiberglass?  Thanks

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 1966 Rear brake air ducting question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 01:54:27 PM »
On production 66's they were a black plastic like product

How they were mounted depended on when the car was built at Shelby
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 02:51:31 PM »
Thanks for the information.  What are the different ways they could be mounted?   What would be the dates for each?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
Should mention that there were a few early cars found with an almost white ducting color

Thanks for the information.  What are the different ways they could be mounted?   What would be the dates for each?

Ducts were originally installed from inside the car and for some reason they were later installed from the outside, inward so that the flange edge was visible from the exterior

Write up on the subject with pictures
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20351.msg128514#msg128514

Since we don't have good solid dates of when this was done to each car and they were not built always in exact order based on their Shelby VIN the change over "date" would be a "fuzzy" one but currently I've got it somewhere between approx 6S2020 and 6S2070 as of my last survey three years ago
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 04:32:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 04:31:21 PM »
For reference, 1134 is a February build at SAI and the attachment is from the inside.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 07:13:08 PM »
Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 10:14:05 PM »
Hi Jeff,,

You said "...and for some reason they were later installed from the outside,..."  Isn't the reason cost savings?  I believe the back seat no longer required removal along with the quarter panels to gain access to install ducting parts.  If the duct fittings and hose could be installed from the outside, considerable labor cost savings could be realized.  What do you think?  I think they made this change  too late in the production (...somewhere between approx 6S2020 and 6S2070.) to fully benefit the savings.

Cory
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 10:45:55 PM by 6s1640 »

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 10:19:40 PM »
Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

You are welcome.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 11:23:24 PM »
Hi Jeff,,

You said "...and for some reason they were later installed from the outside,..."  Isn't the reason cost savings?  I believe the back seat no longer required removal along with the quarter panels to gain access to install ducting parts.  If the duct fittings and hose could be installed from the outside, considerable labor cost savings could be realized.  What do you think?  I think they made this change  too late in the production (...somewhere between approx 6S2020 and 6S2070.) to fully benefit the savings.

Cory

Don't know for certain it was for cost savings so didn't speculate. Have not found any of the cutouts inside a car yet that would at least support the idea that they didn't leave the interior panels in place.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 11:44:22 PM »
I think ease of installation and looks. Holding to flange on the inside and putting the rivet in from the outside requires some gymnastics or 2 people. One inside drilling and holding the flange the other putting rivets in from the outside. Putting the rivets and flange from the outside only needs one person and acceptable aesthetically.

Don't forget Ford was not happy with the speed of Shelby's assembly line and were already at SA working out details of the 67 design and build.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 09:37:39 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 11:53:58 PM »
Hi Jeff,,

Cory

Don't know for certain it was for cost savings so didn't speculate. Have not found any of the cutouts inside a car yet that would at least support the idea that they didn't leave the interior panels in place.

Hi Jeff,

1966 GT350 6S2339 has the duct fitting installed from the outside.  What is really amazing is that the water shields behind the rear seat quarter panels are still there.  This was a Mustang fastback feature and not needed for the GT350.  The shields have fallen down, but amazing the long time owner did not pull them out when he was racing the car.  Just another piece of evidence that supports that the back seat interior was not partially removed.  I have heard early cars have no remnants of this shield with ducts fitting installed from inside the car and the interior partially removed.  I expect there are some cars with the shield torn out through the holes and are now absent.  But there should be remnants of the shield that remained with the car when torn out.

On the suggested reason for change, I expect it was not done to increase cost.  We should be able to agree on that.

Cory
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 12:01:00 AM by 6s1640 »

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 08:00:36 PM »
I bought some after market duct ends which were fiberglass.  Was not happy with the quality and they did not cover the factory rivet holes.   So I bought a block of  black plastic and made my own set.  These will be mounted in the inside. Thoughts before I use them.. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 08:21:03 PM »
I bought some after market duct ends which were fiberglass.  Was not happy with the quality and they did not cover the factory rivet holes.   So I bought a block of  black plastic and made my own set.  These will be mounted in the inside. Thoughts before I use them..
You will be dammed to hell  :o . Seriously they will not be seen so you will be the only one to know. If you have made your piece with that then I say go for it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 09:48:08 PM »
Hi SFcarbuff,

Very nice.  Did you consider having them 3D printed? The duct fitting mounted to the the wheel well will be harder to make from a block, but might be easier to print.  Do you have a 3D printing source?  They would be plastic as well.

Best of luck

Cory

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 10:42:52 PM »
This is an original kit I bought from a speed shop in Sweden about 40 years ago. As can be seen one of the hoses are too short to fit a 66. Don't ask me why as I still have the original box from Shelby.
Texas Swede