News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The Tonight Show - Johhny Carson # 0889 S4 EP120 - March 14, 1966 - Help?

Started by silverton_ford, December 31, 2022, 11:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Does anyone have access to old television shows? 

I am looking for The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - Season 4 Episode 120 Show #0889 Release Date: Mar 14, 1966.

I found this, but it is currently unavailable - https://reelgood.com/show/the-tonight-show-starring-johnny-carson-1962/season/4/episode-120

James Garner, Skitch Henderson and Johnny Carson had a lengthy discussion about the GT350H in this episode and I think it would be fun to watch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

shelbydoug

MANY years ago, late '70s, I think it was Rick Kopec got in touch with the 'Tonight Show's' Producer, Fred DeCordova.

He was told that tape wasn't saved and it was taped over. I remember it. Garner talked about preparing for the role and being taken around the track at  Riverside in a 427 Comp Cobra with a "comp windscreen".

That was one of those plexiglass "things" in front of the driver only.

As I recall, Garner said that the Cobra was following a '40 around the track and the pebbles that the racing tire normally threw at speed were hitting him in the face and said, "those things hurt".

I don't remember who he said was driving the car(s). I wouldn't be surprised if it was Miles though? I don't remember the discussion or him mentioning the Hertz car though. I knew about the Cobras but not the Shelbys so that might have gone unnoticed by me?

Apparently at the time the cost of the recording tape far outweighed the value of a saved tape to Cordova, which were not kept to be shown in syndicated reruns like something like "I Love Lucy", etc. were.

So unless you find someone who was playing with their new (expensive) Beta Max and recorded that show, it is unfortunately gone forever.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

daltondavid

Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM

GTBULLITT

In 1966 the show would have recorded on 2 inch RCA quad machines. Tape stock wasn't cheap and storage cost were a factor I'm sure. Yet several copies would have been made from the master tape. To transmit  to network Affiliates stations.

silverton_ford

Quote from: JohnB on December 31, 2022, 07:01:01 PM
Air date March 30, 1966

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Tonight_Show_Starring_Johnny_Carson_episodes_(1966)#March

Maybe I have the show number wrong.  That list shows the James Garner March 14, 1966 show as number 877.    I know the date is correct, March 14, 1966.

Haven't found anything on YouTube.

6s2055

When the movie Grand Prix premier came out in SanFrancisco S&C Ford asked me to drive Eva Marie Saint to the opening. Picked her up about a block away and drove her to the front of the theater in my Cobra. About two blocks after leaving her off I ran out of gas as the fuel gauge was never really accurate. Real close to a real embarrassing moment! She had great legs!

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

shelbydoug

Quote from: 6s2055 on January 01, 2023, 02:02:17 AM
When the movie Grand Prix premier came out in SanFrancisco S&C Ford asked me to drive Eva Marie Saint to the opening. Picked her up about a block away and drove her to the front of the theater in my Cobra. About two blocks after leaving her off I ran out of gas as the fuel gauge was never really accurate. Real close to a real embarrassing moment! She had great legs!

Did you get her phone number or did she give you the number of the 'Chinese laundry' down town? :o

I'm pretty sure Bonduraunt had Candy Bergen in his driving school, teaching her to drive the Lotus through a pipe tunnel for a movie. I can't think of any big name women that were impressed by cars at all unless it was part of the script. Back in the day it was difficult to get rid of the smell of leaded high test gas exhaust fumes on your clothes.

That probably had something to do with it...and maybe shave once in a while? ::)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

crossboss

Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

honker

re: Candice Bergen at Bondurant school ;)

shelbydoug

This recently came up on my Facebook page.

It is described as Garner at Bob's racing school. I found the timing "interesting".

Ms.Bergen is the only female celebrity that I KNOW OF that went to driving school and became an enthusiast. She became a Porsche 911 "girl". I doubt she is the only one but I know of no others. Seems to be mostly a "guy thing"?

It sort of fits the description I remember him talking about on that Tonight Show but it appears to be a 289 Comp Car with the forward facing roll bar brace rather then that of a 427...but there's the "comp windscreen".
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Interesting?

"They" are obviously monitoring you. They just want you to know that every once in a while

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 05, 2023, 01:44:39 PM
Interesting?

"They" are obviously monitoring you. They just want you to know that every once in a while

::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!