News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford produced GT500 end, what does it mean for resale?

Started by Mikelj5S230, September 01, 2023, 10:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikelj5S230

Since Ford Performance no longer is making a Shelby GT500, and now focusing on the new generation GTD, or whatever they call it, will resale prices for the 2022 last GT500s appreciate?
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

FL SAAC

Possibly if you are one of those that needs to have "the last one" and "no other GT500 will ever be made syndrome" kick in

Got to remember history repeats itself, some time sooner than later

Last GT 500 1969 - 1970

Came back 2007

Left us in 2014

No, no, no this is definitely the last GT500

Came back 2020

Now this is the last GT500 2023

Wait for it..............
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

And ecstatic  ( I sound like Iron Mike ) that you mentioned "Fords Performance Shelby " in the correct nomenclature

Here come the daggers ......

Thank you

I have all UNGOLD cars

Mikelj5S230

Yes, I know, some only think the ones made at Shelby American, in its various locations, are "real" Shelbys......

s2ms

There very well could be an immediate spike in used GT500 prices.  That's what happened when Ford ended GT350 production in 2020. 
Dave - 6S1757

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on September 01, 2023, 12:47:12 PM
Possibly if you are one of those that needs to have "the last one" and "no other GT500 will ever be made syndrome" kick in

Got to remember history repeats itself, some time sooner than later

Last GT 500 1969 - 1970

Came back 2007

Left us in 2014

No, no, no this is definitely the last GT500

Came back 2020

Now this is the last GT500 2023

Wait for it..............
History repeats itself.......
However the next GT500 will be midmotor - notice I didn't say engine. There will be a 1,000 hp electric motor bolted to the front of the rearaxle. Bingo mid power and very little engineering expense. The batteries go under the hood to complete the tradition of nose heavy GT500s.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Quote from: MikeljGT500HE on September 01, 2023, 01:23:18 PM
Yes, I know, some only think the ones made at Shelby American, in its various locations, are "real" Shelbys......

"Me"

But lets give merit where merit is due. Having driven these latest GT500s they are great and very fast vehicles.  Ford did a exemplary job of putting them together.

Comparing it to its little sisters of the same era the 350s, hands down the 500 is a superior car. Don't want to hear its automatic and there is nothing like a manual transmission.  Or you cant compare these two apples and oranges.

Let me tell you this car is not a fruit, both are Mustangs and unfortunately the 500 does everything that much better than the 350.

Ask yourself why is the 350 no longer around  ?

Obsolete

Drive both on a circuit track and 1/4 mile and you will be convinced  ( if you are honest to yourself ) that the 500 is a beast

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: s2ms on September 01, 2023, 01:38:32 PM
There very well could be an immediate spike in used GT500 prices.  That's what happened when Ford ended GT350 production in 2020.

Yes it the " last one syndrome" those who buy high and then see their "investment money" go down steadily and eventually sell at 80 to 70 of purchase price will be the ones driving up the market

Good luck !

I have all UNGOLD cars

Mikelj5S230

I just sold my 2019 ZR1 Corvette, the last of the high performance front engine, rear drive Corvettes, for what I paid for it 4 years ago (sticker price), after 20K miles. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

FL SAAC

Quote from: MikeljGT500HE on September 01, 2023, 04:27:38 PM
I just sold my 2019 ZR1 Corvette, the last of the high performance front engine, rear drive Corvettes, for what I paid for it 4 years ago (sticker price), after 20K miles. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

You know I too have heard that those C7s and C8s have miraculously held their value quite well

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: MikeljGT500HE on September 01, 2023, 01:23:18 PM
It's a blurry line where Ford and their road race skunk works SA lines cross. Technically Shelby American only built GT500s for the early part of 1967. Once Ford assumed ownership of SA and all the trademarks the rest of the 67 and all the 68-70 were manufactured by Ford Motor Company. Yes Shelby Automotive was created for the cars but CS really was only the PR face with no real management, design, development input. Even the 67 was a Ford project when you consider it was designed by Charlie McHose a designer Ford sent to SA to do the work. The chassis development work on the 65 GT350 was done by Ford engineer Klaus Arning. The 3000 series coil spring chassis was a Ford design - I remember one of the SAAC Conventions in Dearborn when a Ford guy drug out the original prints of the 427 chassis he had worked on developing. It was 64 or 65 when Pete Brock and most of the other development and design team was let go. He speaks of coming back from LeMans. Someone else was in his office and he was no longer needed. When production went east CS downsized to a Torrance warehouse that he ran Shelby Racing Inc out of. With SA gone CS was given a 3 year contract to run the TA program through the 70 season.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless