News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Help needed identifying this alleged Cobra transmission

Started by doublemyv, January 02, 2023, 03:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doublemyv

Hi everyone,  a friend has offered a transmission for sale, and says it came from an original Cobra.  I have my doubts, but I'm no Cobra expert, so I thought I would ask the forum members.   I'm attaching four photos in this first post of the transmission and casting numbers, and three photos of casting numbers and the Hurst shifter that comes with it in the next post.   Any help identifying this is greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Mark

doublemyv

Here are the remaining casting numbers and the Hurst shifter mentioned in the first post.  Thanks , Mark

rhjanes

Ford used "Cobra" on a lot of cars and parts.  Remember there was a Mustang Cobra II.   I once was told about some "Cobra" parts and found they were off a Cobra II Mustang.

The tailshaft C9OR-7A040-A, according to David Kee Toploaders, is a 1969 and up Cyclone/Torino/Rancharo.   http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/tailhousingid.htm

Main case looks like C8AR-7006-D.  Shows to be a 1968 and up.  http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/main_case_id.htm

Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

430dragpack

It would be correct for a '69 Torino Cobra.....more than likely not the Cobra you're thinking of. 😉 Is there a metal ID tag riveted to one side?
The shifter appears to be aftermarket Hurst.   

Cobra Ned

No Cobra roadster came with a C9 transmission, if that helps.

doublemyv

Thanks guys, I knew the collective knowledge of the forum members would know the answers.   I will let the seller know that his transmission isn't from an original Cobra ,  and I'll refer him to David Kee Motorsports for clarification.  Mark

Harris Speedster

You might go take agood look at the trans case again.
Best way I could figure to write this thought.
The top rail, lets say, of the bolt holes, which bolts up against the bell housing>>> just may have a partial ford vin ?
Also, not sure about 68, but some did have the serial number on a small 2 inch tab on the very back and bottom of the case.
Worth checking out.
Also, you did not mention if it had a big input shaft?
Respectfully
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

430dragpack

Quote from: Harris Speedster on January 03, 2023, 01:41:32 PM
You might go take agood look at the trans case again.
Best way I could figure to write this thought.
The top rail, lets say, of the bolt holes, which bolts up against the bell housing>>> just may have a partial ford vin ?
Also, not sure about 68, but some did have the serial number on a small 2 inch tab on the very back and bottom of the case.
Worth checking out.
Also, you did not mention if it had a big input shaft?
Respectfully
John

It looks like a big input to me and with that C9OR long tailhousing is why I said it came out of a '69 or later Torino Cobra.  The other thing is it doesn't have a drain plug in the bottom of the case, which means it's no older than late '69 model year.  The drain plug was pretty much eliminated by '70 model year. 

Harris Speedster

430 dragpack,
I agree about the Torino and all else.
I never knew the drain plug was deleted in roughly 1970.
I am curious to see if their are some vin stamps on the case.

I hope that >>  doublemyv >> does follow up on the VIN, if any.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

doublemyv

Thanks for the additional tips.   There are no VIN numbers ( partial or full ) on the case anywhere, and no serial number as described by John.  Sorry there was no additional info.  My takeaway is still from my prior post that this transmission is NOT from an original Cobra as the seller thought.  He is very appreciative of the info you all have provided, and I hope that the David Kee Motorsports site is helpful to him.   Thanks again for all the help.  Mark   

brandosaac

I agree with the above.
69-70 torino , but has the 70 main case without drain plug so most likely from a 1970 torino
looks to be big input and big 31 spline output , and should be a close ratio as well.
overall length of cast iron main case with tail attached should be 27" , input and output shafts not included in measurement.

curious, what vehicle are you looking for a toploader for ?

Bob Gaines

I have found that people routinely call the 69/70 Torino's - simply Cobras which is probably where the mix up came . Someone says it came from a Cobra meaning the Torino and the next person assumes they mean the 2 seater aluminum bodied car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby