Author Topic: What were colors of lettering/team name, wheels, stripes on this '65 at LeMans  (Read 2923 times)

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
The entry was in '67
17   Dubois / Tuerlinckx   Claude Dubois (B)   Shelby   GT350
It did not finish. I want to do a color painting but since my only ref. photos are black and white, I  don't know if the number on the side, racing stripes, and driver's names were in black or dark blue?  Thanks for any tips....

interview of Dubois here http://www.ponysite.de/sheleur_dubois.htm
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 04:35:55 PM by HistoryBuff »

honker

• View Profile
I have these two, front 3/4 not the best.

(profile photo: De Josy B. Margherite)

(front 3/4 photo: no credit)

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Looks good.
So roof, front hood and rear deck stripe all dark blue
number on side black
Wheels polished metal outer rims. dull grey on spokes
What did the rectangular yellow sign say? Was it on  both sides of the car? Maybe promoting a product?  Maybe it's a common product sign in France?
Were they allowed to share the Shelby/Ford pits? I've seen one photo where inexplicably it looks like they are parked in the Ferrari pits...

honker

• View Profile
Looks like from your image above that that yellow sign was on both sides of the car. The round disc in front of the number on the

right side of the car had something to do with I think ? body material, for fire fighting services.

Here's a tighter image of that yellow sign, resolution not the best !

Speed Six

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
There is a 1/43 model of the car, which may help.

Also see https://ponynsnake.com/1965-shelby-gt350r-5r539-24h-le-mans-1967/

Speed Six

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Here are photos from the model I have - I couldn’t get the one from the photo above, which is sold out.
Mine is less detailed, price has been lower, too.

Speed Six

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
From the rear.

Speed Six

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Front. Logos on the aux lamps are the SEV Marchal ones as on the front fenders.

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Fly in the ointment: in two pictures I've seen there is a difference in the nose

1)in one picture it is wearing a short American-style license plate at a tilted (sloppily mounted) angle, not seen in other shots
2) in another picture it has little spoilers on each side below the front bottom metal, looking like they were  cut in the pit and mounted there. My question is--did it run those during the race? Or were those tried in practice and discarded? This was still the early days for spoilers but not stock Shelby as that body style was already obsolete by '67.

(I am trying to load them but may not succeed as they ae not jpeg images)

Finally in one picture there is a hill behind it with spectators in the background but to those who don't recognize it, it could be anywhere whereas in the one where it's got pits in the background, you know it's LeMans. Wouldn't a racing fan who wants a picture of a racing Shelby at LeMans want a background that say LeMans more certainly?

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Trying again on front picture showing undertray spoilers

honker

• View Profile
the picture in reply #8, that is a 1/32 I think ?  slot car model photo shopped onto a back ground of the embankments at Le-Mans,

you can see the slot for the guide below the car  ::)

As for the spoilers some info here translated  from another forum, I have posed the question there, and await a reply.

Here is a photo, it looks as if the spoiler on the right side is hanging down.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:07:13 PM by honker »

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Two different kinds of spoilers. in the latest picture the chin spoiler is black and full width so i am [resuming it wore that during the race (or is that picture from practice?) I notice something else--,the windshield wiper appears to be two blades together--something they never would have done in Detroit.

honker

• View Profile
I think what appears to be a full width spoiler in some photos because of shadows is the bar installed for jacking, marked with the

red arrow, image below. As for the wiper it's a double, stronger, tighter to the window for the higher speeds.

(photo: The Henry Ford)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:38:07 PM by honker »

Speed Six

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
The story from my link above goes ( and I have no idea if correct) that Dubois got the car handed over at the LM test week in 67. To his surprise the car was not new, but Shelby did send a run down two year old racecar with some races under his belt. That is with high probability the photo with spoile and license plate - a Belgian one which looks mounted as an afterthought. Probably to get the car back to Belgium.
They did complain to Shelby about the condition of the car - fortunately he send them free of charge a complete, new mechanical setup in time for LM proper.

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Those who are not artists might say "Well. what's the difference between depicting the car as it looked in  practice or in the actual race?" but i can defend that line of questioning because the practice at LeMans takes place in April and the actual race in June so the car could change a lot between practice and the race. Once I decide on the angle (probably front 3/4) if there's other cars in the ref. picture I'll try (by entry list) to see if those cars were in the actual race to make sure i'm not showing the car  in practice.
Also note diff. between entry list here

https://www.racingsportscars.com/entry/Le_Mans-1967-06-11.html

and finishing list here

https://www.racingsportscars.com/results/Le_Mans-1967-06-11.html

The second list says it was a piston that put them out at 58 laps. Which reminds me of why Enzo Ferrari selected a V12 because with so many cylinders you can be down a few and keep running (which i cna attest to in my own V12 which never ran on more than 10 cylinders when i owned it)

By the way i am impressed with all the digging in this Q & A