Author Topic: What were colors of lettering/team name, wheels, stripes on this '65 at LeMans  (Read 2925 times)

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
 Autoworld Belgium,showed a photo of their display of the car were i got  the key identifiers like

-lift bar under the radiator (allowing same manual lift bar used in the pits for Cobras)
-Marchal lamps with covers
-yellow sign on side which has team name on top and SHELBY COBRA on the bottom
-the right wheels, metal color
--two windshield wipers together

so in my first try I went with the front 3/4  view but still deciding which background typifies LeMans most, I chose a pit shot from '63 or '64 as ref. I doubt by '67 COBRA still had a sign (by then Ford was promoting Ford GTs) . But I'm aiming for mood which is why I laid in the fog. I've been to the 24 Heures du Mans but decades later. I'll still look for a long view of the course with the famous Michelin (or is it Dunlop?) tire looming over the cars. By the time I find it,
I'll know more how the car looked in the race at LeMans in '67  (not counting how it looked in practice)?

Three other questions--the passenger side of the grille seems to have a piece of plexiglass blocking part of it off?
On the drivers side there is some circular metal bracket on the hood, like what holds  a fire extinguisher  extinguisher, what is that?
On what another reader said is a transverse rod below the grille for quick jacking, there seems to be a soda pop-sized can over the rod on the passenger side? What is that? I can't imagine the bar had any hydraulic function

Thanks for the observant interpretations,
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:57:24 PM by HistoryBuff »

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Is it possible the LeMans GT350 had a small racing windscreen, ,tbe flip=up type like on an MG-TC,  a couple feet down the hood from the windshield? That's the only explanation i can see for metal brackets on the hood driver's side. My theory is if the windshield broke that would still allow the driver some protection. But the hole in my theory is the brackets I think I see are only  few inches apart and wouldn't offer much protection. still, Dubois had raced at LeMans at least six times before so he might have wanted backup since he might have broken a windshield previously (Bondurant once told me he went into the gravel on purpose to shatter someone's windshield that was hounding him on a track) (Hey, shit happens)

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
The model car found on a French slot car website seem to have the wrong grille -a mesh rather than horizontal bars--so I don't think the model is very representative of the way the Dubois Shelby GT350 looked at LeMans in '67. Why go to all the trouble to make a model and have something big like the grille be wrong?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Its probably been repurposed

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Maybe the extra bits of metal on the hood is just a second set of hood pins. That's because in some kinds of racing they don't bother with having a hood with hinges with little springs to hold it up, they just have four pins poking through the hood and you lift the whole hood off and park it on the roof so you have full access to the engine compartment So now I'll have to find a shot of that car in the pits to see if the hood (bonnet in Brit-speak) is like in the street car or had to be detached and lifted off to service the engine.

joephil

• View Profile

Photos of the GT350 of Claude Dubois Le mans 1967  ;)

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
THE SECOND PICTURE , IN MOTION, SHOWS THE SMA; HORIZONTAL CHIN SPOILERS, AND THE SOUP CAN SHAPED OBJECT OVER THE  TUBULAR BAR UNDER THE RADIATOR, WAS THIS TAKEN DURING THE RACE OR IN APRIL PRACTICE?

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile

Photos of the GT350 of Claude Dubois Le mans 1967  ;)

First time I can recall seeing a GT350 with the dual wiper arms.

Were those used before...or am I forgetting something I've probably seen numerous times (possible.)
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Dual wiper arms were used on the GT40 as this Superformance mk.II shows
The original use was on airliners. at least one Shelby man (Ritchie Ginther early on) came from the aircraft factories. I never noticed them on mass produced GT-350s
but an ad on ebay claims they were avaiabje. here's the ad copy:
BRANDA PERFORMANCE INC.
SHELBY & MUSTANG PARTS
*** PRESENTS ***

1964 1/2 - 1966 MUSTANG
(FITS ALL MODELS & ALL BODIES)
&
1965 - 1966 SHELBY GT350
ORIGINAL / USED
TRICO WINDSHIELD WIPER ARMS
1-PAIR

2 NICE ORIGINAL / USED & USABLE FORD / TRICO
WIPER ARMS: 64 1/2-66 MUSTANG & 65-66 SHELBY
TRICO WINDSHIELD WIPER ARMS

MADE by TRICO for FORD MO.

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Found more pictures of '65 R model at LeMans in '67 and
came to more conclusions (what's your opinion?)

-front separate chin spoilers were only used in  practice in April
--the metal tube running across the front bottom (for jacking up car) did not have the soup can-sized object on the passenger side all the time, maybe not during the race
-the bonnet/hood had the hinges and springs to lift it a la American style so still leaves a mystery was the second set of pieces of metal (halfway between windscreen and nose) are
-rear window trim was black and not chrome or is that black racer tape?
-who dat bozo in the pits huggin' every girl wot walks by?

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
The car pictures didn't load...except for this
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:05:43 PM by HistoryBuff »

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
More pictures of the '65 Shelby running LeMans in '67.Still can't figure out which ones were shot during the race. Seems like the white chin spoilers are smaller in some pictures than in others
Any opinions appreciated? (Painting done but I can go back and paint in the spoilers once sure it wore them during the race)

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Wally, read my interview in the first post again for the sequence of mods. You need to decide, if you want to paint it as raced in round 1, during the stop or one of the following hours. I am not sure, if any artist does a composition this way, typically one takes one race pic with facts as raced in this moment with the exact background to be factual correct. Composing theories makes it opinion based. Most of the internet is today opinion-based, rather than realistic or factual. Maybe artwork has changed as well?Just my thoughts😉
Claude let put the second set of hood pins on, because the hood bulged upwards during April testing at high speeds, it was already slightly out of shape, when it arrived.

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
Thanks for your research, TransAm Ed. I agree on the hood pins, the second set has  lengthy wires going from the hood to where it's held down outside the hood. The  hood did bulge badly even after the pins were installed.
I would prefer and did in my first painting, to depict the car as it looked during a certain point of time; preferably at the start of the race when it wouldn't have any battle damage yet. There is another school of thought that likes to depict the car after damage when it's still carrying on valiantly despite its wound (like the GT mk.IV which had its whole rear body fall off and it was taped in place in the pits). I'll do the rear 3/4 next, out on the track, in traffic.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 07:11:07 PM by HistoryBuff »

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
I saw Steve Beck, the Shelby expert, at the Petersen Museum show and showed him the painting He said the car went out with a failed transmission. I thought it was a bad piston Anybody know?
The website Racing Sports cars was my reference.

https://www.racingsportscars.com/results/Le_Mans-1967-06-11.html

Still if I were  a GT350 owner I'd be proud it posted more laps than a GT40 or V12 Ferrari further down the list of cars that DNF'd.

14   Piper / Thompson   Mirage M1 Ford   J. W. Automotive Engineering   59         Broken inlet valve   P+5.0   
17   Dubois / Tuerlinckx   Shelby GT350   Claude Dubois   58         Piston   GT5.0   
44   Preston / Wagstaff   Lotus 47 Ford   Team Elite   42         Overheating   P1.6