News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mecum Kissimmee 2023 - 1962-1970 Shelby American products

Started by silverton_ford, January 04, 2023, 11:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stangman39

shelbymann1970

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

hertzdonut

I don't want to be too harsh but is Mecum
the sleaziest auction company or do others
deserve that title? Truly sorry for asking.
T

stangman39

Quote from: hertzdonut on January 11, 2023, 07:32:58 PM
I don't want to be too harsh but is Mecum
the sleaziest auction company or do others
deserve that title? Truly sorry for asking.
T

Why ask if you're truly sorry!? Lol

Can you explain why you say this about Mecum?
I'm asking since this is my first time at any big auction let alone having a car go through it.
I have a buddy who does a lot of Mecum auctions and is running 45 cars thru Kissimmee currently.

Regardless of how my car does, I'm glad I came to experience it.
Running a production like this in my eyes is a big undertaking but they do it often so they
have it down to a well oiled machine it seems

Shelby4Life

Nothing replaces being here. I bid on two GT350s today. The red one that hammered for 70K. I had the next highest bid of 67.5K, which was a fair bid for a 70 Windsor FMX, considering the additional vig... Then the white 69 that didn't sell at 75K was covered in undercoating, had a broken windshield, and wouldn't stay running. It was blowing heavy blue smoke. I also bid on the Black Jade Cobra Jet Auto with AC, was outbid by 1K as it hammered at 73K, because I watched as it was pushed into the room because it didn't run. They said the starter locked up while they were moving it around before the auction.

But, the folks bidding at home didn't see any of that. Glad I bid appropriately. Looking forward to the next 4 days of Shelbys. They look great!
1967 Sprint 289 Auto, Deluxe, AC.
1967 S Code GTA Deluxe, AC.
2004 Gated 6-speed Ferrari 360.

kingchief

Agreed. Nothing replaces being present at the auction. LOTS of Shelbys tomorrow [Friday]. I plan to be there again tomorrow just for the excitement. Really nothing like it. Nothing really sleezy about them, IMO. They are just selling cars and satisfying dreams!

Steve
SFM 6S406

shelbymann1970

Mecum the sleaziest? I'd say no. Why? Well a friend of mine  has run a lot of cars through Mecum over the years and he has said nothing bad about them. They also try and get the bidder and seller together on common ground eating commissions if necessary. Mecum also let SAAC members get into the Spring show for free in 2019. Has any other auction company done that? Also maybe I missed it but I don't see Mecum  stopping no reserve auctions and "educating" the bidders how how much more a car is worth. I find that to be really cheesy and condescending.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

hertzdonut

Thanks, good to see these comments. I'll watch with
a different frame of mind. Now I'm glad I made this post.
Terry

427hunter

My opinion on Mecum is that the worst cars tend to go through their auction. I have seen many that were purchased completely misrepresented, bondo, rust, rod knocks, vin issues, etc. It appears they will list anything without any due regard. This does not mean good cars don't cross the block, it just means you better be there in person and know what you are looking at. 
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

stangman39

If they have had vin issues in the past I think they have stepped up the inspection process.
My buddy ran his Blazer through yesterday and they were real sticklers prior to it getting here to make him find the frame vin. My buddy who runs a lot of cars thru Mecum says when it comes to vins they are strict. I know there are 5-10 cars sitting on the back lot not being run due to vin issues.
They even made my vin more visible which kinda annoyed me (I wasn't here during the inspection).

SCJSTU

I just had a vehicle go thru Mecum Kissimmee 2023 and after sending them pictures for entry I got an email saying they noticed the VIN rivets where not factory and I had to send pictures of VIN on the frame....( vin plate had been taken off a non ford to clean paint off of it....color change)

Most auction houses have been sued by now for bad vin's so they have stepped up their due diligence.

Mecum is no different then any other auction house.....you better do your homework before bidding.....same as buying from an individual

and yes they all play games but that's been going on since the beginning of time

1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

pchmotoho

Quote from: stangman39 on January 06, 2023, 09:54:13 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on January 06, 2023, 09:01:24 AM
Kevin needs to send out a reading comprehension test to people with those reports

Pete, is there a car you're referring to specifically?  I've asked the website team to update details for the wording on the 67 K code.
They edited the info I gave them originally and it's slightly misleading.

67 FB K code, 4 speed.  Sold 157K not counting fees. Congrats!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 427hunter on January 12, 2023, 10:07:40 AM
My opinion on Mecum is that the worst cars tend to go through their auction. I have seen many that were purchased completely misrepresented, bondo, rust, rod knocks, vin issues, etc. It appears they will list anything without any due regard. This does not mean good cars don't cross the block, it just means you better be there in person and know what you are looking at.
Most auctions that have a lot of cars like BJ Mecum and a few others have good cars and bad. I'd argue these cars in the link are pretty nice cars with no issues. They belong to a friend of mine and he is a member here who owns 4 65 Shelbys among his collection(possibly soon to be lowered by one). https://www.mecum.com/auctions/kissimmee-2023/collections/keystone-collection/
He ran these cars through in the spring indy.  None were junk or "issues" cars. Any auction there are usually cars that people are dumping whether local auctions, dealer auctions, etc. I 100 percent agree you better know what you are looking at.
https://www.mecum.com/auctions/indianapolis-2022/collections/waterford-collection/

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

stangman39

Quote from: pchmotoho on January 13, 2023, 06:13:10 AM
67 FB K code, 4 speed.  Sold 157K not counting fees. Congrats!

Thanks! Whata experience!

shelbymann1970

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990