News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65 GT350 at Bonneville

Started by tater_51, January 06, 2023, 05:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tater_51

Just curious...when I was assembling my 64 K code Fairlane I was in search of a correct date coded block.  I had contacted an elderly gentleman around the Lansing Michigan area that had a ton of hipo parts (around 1985).  He stated he had several GT40 289 motors as well as a 65 GT 350 that had held a record at the Bonneville Salt Flats.  He stated it still had all the lettering and is as it was when raced.  He wanted 3,000 for the GT40's and $15,000 for the Mustang.  After all these years I'm just curious if anyone knows if of a GT350 that ran at the flats.  Wish I could turn back the clock.  Terry

Chad

Terry you make me want to cry!!  If you ever find the man and he still has the GT40 engines I would be interested in buying them! 

Take care
Chad

tater_51

I'm pretty sure it's all history.  He was an older man, probably in his 70's. and it was in the 80's.  I was only a couple hours away but never made the drive, hindsight!  That Mustang, as great as a buy it would have been, was 1/2 of the price I paid for the house I had just bought.  The blocks were a steal!

Chad

Terry hopefully the mustang gods will forgive you! 

tater_51

I sure hope so!  Still have the K-code Fairlane.

98SVT - was 06GT

Found this photo on ebay. Granatelli's Gyronaut 1300cc streamliner motorcycle with a GT350? in the background. There were probably a few Shelby's over the years that made it onto the salt. Tracing history of the cars can be hard. SCTA (So Cal Timing Assn) runs the big show (in addition to El Mirage) but the Utah group races a few times a year on the salt. The SCTA records just have the record holder for the class - The Mustang could have run in several classes depending on cuin, induction, body mods, etc. It would need a cage that is specific for the mph expected. To run you need to belong to a recognized club and the BV club. The individual clubs generally have more info on the cars their members ran - but tracking down a car to a specific club is hard without a decal on the car or someone knowing when it was run and by who.  https://scta-bni.org/home   https://bonneville200mphclub.com/#
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

acapulco350

Makes me want to watch

The Worlds Fastest Indian Again

Made my kids watch it under protest on the plane a year or so ago

They wanted no part of it but made them do it

Each one of them had a tear in their eye at some point

One of my all time favorites

Burt Munroe was a true kiwi legend

Unlike the current lady running the show down there

😎

sd427

Granatelli's Gryonaut?  What involvement did Granatelli have with the Gryonaut?

6s1802

It's not a G.T.350, look at the front fender it has mustang trim.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Don't know if it's a record, but one evening in 1973 on the return road from about mile 4 back towards the starting line I may have exceeded the posted speed limit. 6200 rpm's in high gear with an indicated speed of 125+ on the speedo
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

FL SAAC

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on January 07, 2023, 07:46:13 AM
Don't know if it's a record, but one evening in 1973 on the return road from about mile 4 back towards the starting line I may have exceeded the posted speed limit. 6200 rpm's in high gear with an indicated speed of 125+ on the speedo

great storyand nice pic !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

sg66

I'll leave this tip for anyone considering taking a drive to the salt flats. Last summer they cancelled speed week due to rain. The entrance into Bonneville Salt Flats International Raceway was still flooded but there is a truck stop on I80 West just before the exit. There is an entrance ramp at the truck stop and the salt elevation is a little higher and was dry. There is no speed limit and I learned that 100+ MPH speeds kick up a lot of salt under the car. The rental was a Chevy so I didn't worry about it

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: sg66 on January 07, 2023, 02:56:23 PM
I'll leave this tip for anyone considering taking a drive to the salt flats. Last summer they cancelled speed week due to rain. The entrance into Bonneville Salt Flats International Raceway was still flooded ......

They have cancelled for too much water and too little. A lot of water is needed to resettle the salt into a nice even layer. Too little and it gets wavy and even sometimes gets large cracks. It seems to be best when the water level is about a 12-18" under the surface. Traction is also a problem. When we ran the Boss 302 it would fry the tires at about 160. We added about 500 pounds of broken Hemi parts to the trunk and could get to a little over 170 before tire spin again started (175 is the golden number to get on the long track 7 miles vs 3). I was at a friends shop last week (he's in the 2 Club) and we were talking Bville tires and traction (thinking of taking my GT1 car to El Mirage). I mentioned the hemi parts and he recalled one team poured their trunk full of concrete. He had filled his stock gas tank with water. If anyone does go to the salt be sure to put sunscreen under your chin and nose. These are 2 areas that will fry quickly in the reflected sunlight.

The Lightning guy always put on a good show at the airport.  https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675031288_Robert-Golka_Wendover-Air-Force-Base_Project-Tesla_ball-lightning_dark-hangar
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

" If anyone does go to the salt be sure to put sunscreen under your chin and nose. These are 2 areas that will fry quickly in the reflected sunlight."

Change that to the sun will find spots you didn't know it would shine. Layer yourself in sunscreen, put it everywhere. You'll thank me later if you do and curse yourself if you don't
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎