Author Topic: GT/CS stripe colors ?  (Read 2006 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
GT/CS stripe colors ?
« on: January 07, 2023, 01:42:40 PM »
Did the California Special come with stripe colors other than white or black from the Ford factory?

I've seens some black and some various blue paint shades with gold stripes...
Also some white cars with red and with blue stripes.

How do we know if an owner changed the stripe color (from say white to black or visa versa)
Any paint / stripe color list info out there?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

CalSpecial68

• View Profile
Re: GT/CS stripe colors ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 08:00:17 PM »
This may help you research your question: https://californiaspecial.com/

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 09:28:44 PM »
Did the California Special come with stripe colors other than white or black from the Ford factory?

White, black, red and a medium blue according to the Paul's book

Off the subject a little not sure of the available stripes for High Country or the Gold Nugget specials - the Calif Special's cousins that year and car production plant

Sometimes the Calif Specials were also ordered with the painted stripes on the side above the stick on ones. Those colors are coded into the information Kevin Marti has access to. Would expect that those stripes matched the original color of the stick on decal Calif Special stripes. They did on the ones I've owned that had the painted stripe option

How do we know if an owner changed the stripe color (from say white to black or visa versa)

Might be called out/listed on the buildsheet. Haven't done a survey on the coding in the odd numbered boxes and compared them to the know original stripe color.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:33:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 10:01:28 PM »

Off the subject a little not sure of the available stripes for High Country or the Gold Nugget specials - the Calif Special's cousins that year and car production plant

Sometimes the Calif Specials were also ordered with the painted stripes on the side above the stick on ones. Those colors are coded into the information Kevin Marti has access to. Would expect that those stripes matched the original color of the stick on decal Calif Special stripes. They did on the ones I've owned that had the painted stripe option

Might be called out/listed on the buildsheet. Haven't done a survey on the coding in the odd numbered boxes and compared them to the know original stripe color.

Thanks for the details Jeff.  The painted stripes are new to me. I've only heard about the stick on tape.
I have seen the white, black, and red striped HCS cars but never blue stripes.

CalSpecial68
I have been to the California Special website many times over the years and never saw a list for the paint with factoy stripe colors listed.
Recently there was a rare Pebble Biege CS with red stripes. that started me looking closer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 10:03:21 PM by Richstang »

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 07:16:11 AM »

When you say Painted on ABOVE the Stick on ones, do you mean a Pin Stripe that runs Front to Back at the top of the Fenders, Doors and Quarters?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 02:07:32 PM »
When you say Painted on ABOVE the Stick on ones, do you mean a Pin Stripe that runs Front to Back at the top of the Fenders, Doors and Quarters?

Yes my current one still has the original black pinstripe and its called out on the Marti report. Looks to be the same option offered on non-California Specials that year also.

And a couple of unrestored 68 Mustangs with that option. A white and a black stipe car

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:51:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 09:02:41 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
Specifying the pinstripes were painted on and listed on the Marti reports was helpful. Thanks for the photos too!
My previous replay should have stated that detail, but I did not think about it long enough.

I have seen the pinstripes noted on Marti reports.
Usually they are white or black, but on rare occasions I’ve seen painted stripes noted as red.