Author Topic: '66 GT350 Hertz Crankshaft Question  (Read 938 times)

Shelbybo1

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
'66 GT350 Hertz Crankshaft Question
« on: January 03, 2023, 03:38:35 PM »
Having issues with the crankshaft in my original  '66 GT350 Hertz car (SFMS1474)

The car has the original engine installed, however, the crankshaft will either need to be resurfaced or replaced.

Q: Should i have it resurfaced, or replaced?? 

sg66

• View Profile
Re: '66 GT350 Hertz Crankshaft Question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 06:37:40 PM »
It depends on the damage and what you mean by resurfaced. I've seen cranks with small grooves from a spun bearing spray welded and ground but it really depends on how bad the damage is.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 07:36:18 PM »
     If you haven't decided for yourself, take it to a qualified machine shop (or mail it?  :-\), as as alluded to previously, it would require an inspection of the damage of concern (i.e.: scoring?  :o), condition of the component journals otherwise (i.e.: journal shapes for round, tapper & saddle-backing, etc.  ???), current state otherwise (magnaflux for cracks, check for strait, if or what it might already be turned down too, etc.  :P)?

Scott.

Shelbybo1

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 10:13:19 PM »
Rear main seal replaced twice. Oil continues to leak through the seal.
Crankshaft is scratched and chipped.
No other choice but to either replace it (the crankshaft) and have material added to the scared area then have it resurfaced. Or replaced. wondering what would be the better option??? Replace or rework the original??

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 08:56:34 AM »
I'm having a hard time understanding how your crank was damaged in the rear seal area and to the degree (chipped?) that you have described. Was it rolling around the shop prior to installation? Was it accidentally dropped? If either scenario is likely, there could be other damage that the crank might have (bent or cracks?).

In any event, my opinion would be to replace your crank. Having said that, I realize that HiPo cranks are not laying around waiting to be easily purchased. I would search the market for a replacement before panicking into "fixing" your original. If you can't find a replacement, then you could explore repair options to your crank.

My $0.02 worth.

Frank

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 03:49:57 PM »
I'm having a hard time understanding how your crank was damaged in the rear seal area ....

In any event, my opinion would be to replace your crank. .....

Or some ham fisted mechanic trying to pry out old leaky seal during an under car repair.

The right way is to metal spray that spot then regrind - but I've also seen a crank that had been damaged when the spring of a 1 piece seal cut a groove in the crank repaired with JB Weld. That engine had at least 20,000 miles on it and still was not leaking when a friend decided to rebuild it. If the crank is out get it fixed right. If the crank is in the car $5 is a cheap fix.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 04:16:22 PM »
I'm having a hard time understanding how your crank was damaged in the rear seal area ....

In any event, my opinion would be to replace your crank. .....

Or some ham fisted mechanic trying to pry out old leaky seal during an under car repair.

The right way is to metal spray that spot then regrind - but I've also seen a crank that had been damaged when the spring of a 1 piece seal cut a groove in the crank repaired with JB Weld. That engine had at least 20,000 miles on it and still was not leaking when a friend decided to rebuild it. If the crank is out get it fixed right. If the crank is in the car $5 is a cheap fix.
+1 I have heard of that fix too . JB weld is harder then the rubber of the seal. If crank is still in the engine and the engine in the car there is not much to lose at this point. If the crank is out then weld it and turn it back.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby