News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Is this supposed to be matte black?

Started by J_Joseph, January 14, 2023, 11:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Joseph

I'm taping the car to sand/prime/paint the wheel wells and a part of the underbody.

Is this part outlined in bright green supposed to be matte black or Candy Apple Red?

If it's supposed to be red, where does the line between black and red occur?  There isn't an obvious point for the transition otherwise.

Thanks!

crossboss

My 1970 GT-500 it was painted (crudely/overspray) black in the lower section as in your picture. Also, the in the cut tail light area.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

J_Speegle

Quote from: J_Joseph on January 14, 2023, 11:11:37 AM
I'm taping the car to sand/prime/paint the wheel wells and a part of the underbody.

Is this part outlined in bright green supposed to be matte black or Candy Apple Red?

Really neither. That area would have had the rear valance over it by the time the body color was applied. Hung by the screws that attached it from above and not pulled down into the body at the bottom yet. So you would get no overspray or direct spray at the top, little or none from below from body color application but some from the slightly open ends, not traveling much past the ends of the back edge of the quarter panel and some direct spray, often formed sloppy misty oval areas of spray on the rear frame or rear cross member from the body color passing through the back up light openings onto the surface behind depending on how the painter held the spray gun. That area would generally have bare plated metal with some light red oxide and gray primer surfacer from earlier applications to the body prior to the valance being installed and out of the way

Quote from: J_Joseph on January 14, 2023, 11:11:37 AM
If it's supposed to be red, where does the line between black and red occur?  There isn't an obvious point for the transition otherwise.

Thanks!

Not sure why your using black but at the rear of the car the two colors (factory floor coating and body color don't really meet. Not every surface received a nice full coat of paint to protect it from the elements. One of the reasons a number of panels were galvanized. The spray apparatus for the firewall to rear of the car stopped spraying before it reached the end of the floor so that overspray and paint would not continue and rain down on the cars upper body nor the body that was following. Typical to find examples with no floor color or light overspray on the rear frame rail or the floor and frame just forward of that cross member.

Sorry I must not have been clear when writing the article posted on this site and others about finishing the undercarriage for 69 Dearborn built Mustangs,Boss and Shelbys.. I assume that you downloaded a copy of that

Prior thread. Used Dearborn undercarriage in the search feature to locate it

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=929.msg6979#msg6979

Here are a few unrestored examples showing the factory shadow that the rear valance produced. Typically the rear cross member and rear edge of the floor developed a surface rust over time or worst for some cars depending on how they were used and what part of the country/world they spent their life in

Another example I had handy showing a 69 Dearborn Mustang and the shadows on that cars body

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on January 14, 2023, 01:33:06 PM
My 1970 GT-500 it was painted (crudely/overspray) black in the lower section as in your picture. Also, the in the cut tail light area.
Just so others reading don't get the wrong idea ,just like there was no black in the outlined area of the posted picture originally from the factory there typically was no black out done by AO Smith in the cut tail light area during conversion. Any black seen there most likely was done by previous owners or the body shop doing body work. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Joseph

Thank you very much for the replies. 

I'm in the process of trying to finish the car, which has bare metal in the rear undercarriage and the rear wheel wells. 

I will read the PDF and figure out what needs to be done. 

The interior of the floor also needs to be finished, but I think that's fairly straightforward.  I've removed all the old cracking seam sealer, ground and sanded places back to metal, and I'll prime and paint so it's finished.

Information on this forum is invaluable, and I really appreciate the help.

J_Speegle

Remember that the floor "drain" plugs were added after the car was painted do they should be galvanized top and bottom sides ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

crossboss

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 14, 2023, 02:11:19 PM
Just so others reading don't get the wrong idea ,just like there was no black in the outlined area of the posted picture originally from the factory there typically was no black out done by AO Smith in the cut tail light area during conversion. Any black seen there most likely was done by previous owners or the body shop doing body work.

No. It was obviously sprayed under the back taillight panel, and the overspray on the bottom. It was an original car, never messed with when I bought it in 1984.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on January 15, 2023, 11:44:35 AM

No. It was obviously sprayed under the back taillight panel, and the overspray on the bottom. It was an original car, never messed with when I bought it in 1984.
Believe what you want. I don't want others making mistakes on their cars based on your claims. Making out of the ordinary claims does not make them true. They don't stand up to scrutiny.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

crossboss

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 15, 2023, 11:59:59 AM
Quote from: crossboss on January 15, 2023, 11:44:35 AM

Believe what you want. I don't want others making mistakes on their cars based on your claims. Making out of the ordinary claims does not make them true. They don't stand up to scrutiny.

Here we go again...the 'Concours Gods' have spoken. Making your claims based on how it should be, not on what was actually done. Get real dude.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Coralsnake

I would find it more helpful, if you had documented some of the items you have discussed.

Mr Gaines is know to have inspected hundreds of cars. One car does not make a pattern.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

crossboss

I will have to dig for the old photos. In the meantime, please do not make 'assumptions' on something you have not seen yourself.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Coralsnake

I am not making any assumptions. I am asking to see what you recall. More information is always better.

I think most judges base their information off original examples and not what a book says. I enjoy seeing original cars much more than restored examples.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Just to clarify, if you would, you recall 1970 GT-500--#3129 rear metal taillight panel under the Shelby one had black paint on the bottom of that panel and overspray continuing downward as if the rear valance was not present?

By "in the cut taillight areas". Do you mean that you recall the black paint was over the cut edge of the modified metal taillight? 

Just trying to fully understand your description so that I can look at other examples from the same time period at AO Smith.

crossboss

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 15, 2023, 05:00:21 PM

Just to clarify, if you would, you recall 1970 GT-500--#3129 rear metal taillight panel under the Shelby one had black paint on the bottom of that panel and overspray continuing downward as if the rear valance was not present?

By "in the cut taillight areas". Do you mean that you recall the black paint was over the cut edge of the modified metal taillight? 

Just trying to fully understand your description so that I can look at other examples from the same time period at AO Smith.

Jeff,
Yes. When I removed the Shelby tail light panel, and rear valence when restoring the car, I found the over sprayed black paint. These panels had never been removed before. The factory sealant was still present on the tail light panel as well on under the front fenders.
That said, and before the 'Gods' start with the not correct comments, it was there. Also, was/is my car something special or different? Absolutely not. Was it a possible 'mistake' done at AO Smith/Kar-Kraft, maybe.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30