News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Is this supposed to be matte black?

Started by J_Joseph, January 14, 2023, 11:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

I would just like to thank Mr Gaines for all of the free advice he provides on the forum and the non judgemental way in which he dispenses it.
To state the obvious we are very lucky to have him here, thank you Sir....

shelbymann1970

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 18, 2023, 01:54:41 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 18, 2023, 12:20:34 PM
Jeff I see a few of your pics the underside color looks like the same batch "purple" as my friends unrestored Calif Boss 429.

I'm afraid that the floor color has nothing to do with the subject or area we're discussing. The floor color was not sprayed into the area being discussed and it sounds like Crossboss is describing a coating applied after body color application and over the cut surface/taillight panel done at AO Smith. Have seen many 69 Dearborn built Mustangs with similar floor color from firewall rearward without any connection to what he is describing

Crossboss I believe you will find that shelbymann1970 is only describing his floor color not his taillight panel and there is nothing in the pictures to suggest that IMHO
Jeff, I should have asked a question of you when I posted. I posted pics of my friends original boss9. That "purple" color can be seen pretty much front to back underneath in my pics. My question is would that "purple" also transcend up to the rear cross panel since it is on the vertical trunk drop offs? If so would a car that had a black underside(batch) possibly also have that black up to some degree behind the rear valance? I will be doing further examinations of my friend's boss behind the rear valance when I can see it up on one of his lifts. April 69 car. My tail light panel was all red on my vert and somewhere I have a 1984 pic of my old grabber blue car disassembled where the whole rear tail light panel and bumper area is blue with no black which appears is the norm.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 18, 2023, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: crossboss on January 18, 2023, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 15, 2023, 11:59:59 AM
Quote from: crossboss on January 15, 2023, 11:44:35 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 14, 2023, 02:11:19 PM
Quote from: crossboss on January 14, 2023, 01:33:06 PM
My 1970 GT-500 it was painted (crudely/overspray) black in the lower section as in your picture. Also, the in the cut tail light area.
Just so others reading don't get the wrong idea ,just like there was no black in the outlined area of the posted picture originally from the factory there typically was no black out done by AO Smith in the cut tail light area during conversion. Any black seen there most likely was done by previous owners or the body shop doing body work.

No. It was obviously sprayed under the back taillight panel, and the overspray on the bottom. It was an original car, never messed with when I bought it in 1984.
Believe what you want. I don't want others making mistakes on their cars based on your claims. Making out of the ordinary claims does not make them true. They don't stand up to scrutiny.

You owe me an apology for your pubic lashing you gave me. Now that another member's car had the same areas painted black, proves that I was not blowing smoke. You just learned something. I would also appreciate that in the future you are not closed minded, and take what others have stated are not fantasy.
I will say that I am sorry if you think that was a lashing because It wasn't meant to be . It was meant to warn others about copying mistakes. You are being naive if you think that the example you are using is a untouched example which can be used as a yard stick . Besides the small black paint marks around the tail panel there is also black paint seen on - the trunk floor sides and forward section ahead of the gas tank opening and also maybe the interior floor which would be under the fold down. Unless you are trying to say that AO Smith blacked out the entire trunk on that non black car for some reason . You aren't are you?  Before you invoke the "anything is possible" ,"you weren't there" last resort defense you may want to consider Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is most likely the correct one. In this case it is past owner done.
we wholeheartedly agree with Mr Gaines on this opinion it's a + 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 19, 2023, 07:14:00 AM
Jeff, I should have asked a question of you when I posted. I posted pics of my friends original boss9. That "purple" color can be seen pretty much front to back underneath in my pics. My question is would that "purple" also transcend up to the rear cross panel since it is on the vertical trunk drop offs? If so would a car that had a black underside(batch) possibly also have that black up to some degree behind the rear valance? I will be doing further examinations of my friend's boss behind the rear valance when I can see it up on one of his lifts. April 69 car. My tail light panel was all red on my vert and somewhere I have a 1984 pic of my old grabber blue car disassembled where the whole rear tail light panel and bumper area is blue with no black which appears is the norm.

Choose to start a new thread with my response out of respect for the OP and the original focus of this thread

New thread - https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=21710.new#new
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

crossboss

Quote from: FL SAAC on January 19, 2023, 12:58:59 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 18, 2023, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: crossboss on January 18, 2023, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 15, 2023, 11:59:59 AM
Quote from: crossboss on January 15, 2023, 11:44:35 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 14, 2023, 02:11:19 PM
Quote from: crossboss on January 14, 2023, 01:33:06 PM
My 1970 GT-500 it was painted (crudely/overspray) black in the lower section as in your picture. Also, the in the cut tail light area.
Just so others reading don't get the wrong idea ,just like there was no black in the outlined area of the posted picture originally from the factory there typically was no black out done by AO Smith in the cut tail light area during conversion. Any black seen there most likely was done by previous owners or the body shop doing body work.

No. It was obviously sprayed under the back taillight panel, and the overspray on the bottom. It was an original car, never messed with when I bought it in 1984.
Believe what you want. I don't want others making mistakes on their cars based on your claims. Making out of the ordinary claims does not make them true. They don't stand up to scrutiny.

You owe me an apology for your pubic lashing you gave me. Now that another member's car had the same areas painted black, proves that I was not blowing smoke. You just learned something. I would also appreciate that in the future you are not closed minded, and take what others have stated are not fantasy.
I will say that I am sorry if you think that was a lashing because It wasn't meant to be . It was meant to warn others about copying mistakes. You are being naive if you think that the example you are using is a untouched example which can be used as a yard stick . Besides the small black paint marks around the tail panel there is also black paint seen on - the trunk floor sides and forward section ahead of the gas tank opening and also maybe the interior floor which would be under the fold down. Unless you are trying to say that AO Smith blacked out the entire trunk on that non black car for some reason . You aren't are you?  Before you invoke the "anything is possible" ,"you weren't there" last resort defense you may want to consider Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is most likely the correct one. In this case it is past owner done.
we wholeheartedly agree with Mr Gaines on this opinion it's a + 1

Like your credibility means anything.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30