News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Allan Mullaly said on the 2007 GTH SGT SC

Started by FL SAAC, January 13, 2023, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

They were 100% completed by FORD & the UAW and shipped to a 3rd party Shelby who had a contract to modify them before delivery to the customer.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

I certainly agree with Mr. Mullaly that a "special process" was used to manufacture the Shelby GTs, etc. that were completed by Shelby American, and a lot of logistical hurdles had to be overcome. 

But the process itself is pretty similar to how police vehicles, ambulances, work trucks, etc. are built.  The OEM builds the basic vehicle or chassis cab, the vehicle is shipped to a secondary manufacturer or upfitter for completion, and then shipped to the ordering dealer.  I'm not sure about the larger secondary manufacturers (Knapheide, Supreme, Reading, etc.), but I'm pretty sure the upfitters (Kerr, Crown, GFX) are not union. 

FL SAAC

good morning contestants

glad we are all in agreement that the early cars and these particular cars were delivered from a Ford plant in body form for modification  to Carroll Shelby's operation, originally in Venice Beach, later at Los Angeles International Airport and today at Las Vegas.

Yes we are aware that the late models have no racing history,  but only share the original process of modifications,conversion and in the end receiving their C.S.M. numbers just like all the originals did.

This "special process" they endured, distinguishes them from the other current mustang products offered by Ford that bear S H E L B Y name on their body's  I.E. all the GT350,  GT350R and the GT500

Kinda reminds me of Dr Seus story about the sneetches with stars or without....

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on January 14, 2023, 10:50:36 AMglad we are all in agreement that the early cars and these particular cars were delivered from a Ford plant in body form for modification  to Carroll Shelby's operation, originally in Venice Beach, later at Los Angeles International Airport and today at Las Vegas.

This "special process" they endured, distinguishes them from the other current mustang products offered by Ford that bear S H E L B Y name on their body's  I.E. all the GT350,  GT350R and the GT500

They were not delivered in the "knock down" form that the 1966 cars were. They were 100% complete Ford Mustang GTs (they even had window stickers). And while the 06 does bear a tag that states they were "manufactured" by Shelby Automobiles they are registered as a Ford using the Ford Motor Company MSO and the 17 digit Ford VIN. Unlike the 1966 cars which used a Shelby American generated VIN and MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin). Warranty was also handled by Ford. Ford used S H E L B Y name via a personal services contract with him allowing them to use it. The Cobra, GT350, GT350R (which was never a SA trademark) and GT500 are all owned by Ford. Ford licensed Shelby (in the mid 1980s) to use the Cobra name only in conjunction with 2 seat sports cars he built. He called his late model Mustangs "Shelby GT" because Ford would not let him use the GT350 moniker. All the late "Shelby" products by Ford were 100% developed by SVT at Ford. The 2007 GT500 was completed by SVT months before marketing thought sticking Shelby on the car would boost sales. They had used SVO, SVT, Cobra and Cobra R all without an acceptable boost in sales. CS started at $1,000 per car to use his name. When the dust cleared CS had a multi year personal services contract to be the face of performance at Ford for 12 million. He also cut a deal to have cars drop shipped to him to modify and sell as Shelby GTs.

Now for an interesting side note. Ford has a corporate policy to not test their cars inhouse beyond what they estimate to be 80%. The serious testing at max limits is done by contractors who report their findings for the engineers to accept or change the vehicle to fix any instability found. SA is one of their testers. So while they don't "develop" the chassis they have a big say whether it works or not.

This sale ad has fairly complete paperwork and photos to check out. https://classiccars.com/listings/view/806590/2006-shelby-mustang-gt-h-for-sale-in-st-louis-missouri-63114

BTW: The 2006 tag says manufactured. The 2007 one does not.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 14, 2023, 06:16:50 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on January 14, 2023, 10:50:36 AMglad we are all in agreement that the early cars and these particular cars were delivered from a Ford plant in body form for modification  to Carroll Shelby's operation, originally in Venice Beach, later at Los Angeles International Airport and today at Las Vegas.

They were not delivered in the "knock down" form that the 1966 cars were. They were 100% complete Ford Mustang GTs (they even had window stickers). And while the 06 does bear a tag that states they were "manufactured" by Shelby Automobiles they are registered as a Ford using the Ford Motor Company MSO and the 17 digit Ford VIN. Unlike the 1966 cars which used a Shelby American generated VIN and MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin). Warranty was also handled by Ford. Ford used S H E L B Y name via a personal services contract with him allowing them to use it. The Cobra, GT350, GT350R (which was never a SA trademark) and GT500 are all owned by Ford. Ford licensed Shelby (in the mid 1980s) to use the Cobra name only in conjunction with 2 seat sports cars he built. He called his late model Mustangs "Shelby GT" because Ford would not let him use the GT350 moniker. All the late "Shelby" products by Ford were 100% developed by SVT at Ford. The 2007 GT500 was completed by SVT months before marketing thought sticking Shelby on the car would boost sales. They had used SVO, SVT, Cobra and Cobra R all without an acceptable boost in sales. CS started at $1,000 per car to use his name. When the dust cleared CS had a multi year personal services contract to be the face of performance at Ford for 12 million. He also cut a deal to have cars drop shipped to him to modify and sell as Shelby GTs.

Now for an interesting side note. Ford has a corporate policy to not test their cars inhouse beyond what they estimate to be 80%. The serious testing at max limits is done by contractors who report their findings for the engineers to accept or change the vehicle to fix any instability found. SA is one of their testers. So while they don't "develop" the chassis they have a big say whether it works or not.

This sale ad has fairly complete paperwork and photos to check out. https://classiccars.com/listings/view/806590/2006-shelby-mustang-gt-h-for-sale-in-st-louis-missouri-63114

BTW: The 2006 tag says manufactured. The 2007 one does not.

good morning

both of our late model shelbys have the first tag above

glad we could agree on this concept

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars