Author Topic: SW 240A rebuilder  (Read 2353 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
SW 240A rebuilder
« on: January 22, 2023, 10:01:12 AM »
Looking for someone with experience in Central Florida to rebuild a SW 240A electric fuel pump with gaskets suitable for 93 octane 10% ethanol pump gas.
I have the gaskets, but they did not come with any instructions. Any help will be appreciated. Would like someone local so I can watch and learn if all possible.

Don
gt350bp

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: SW 240A rebuilder
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 01:28:17 PM »
Looking for someone with experience in Central Florida to rebuild a SW 240A electric fuel pump with gaskets suitable for 93 octane 10% ethanol pump gas.
I have the gaskets, but they did not come with any instructions. Any help will be appreciated. Would like someone local so I can watch and learn if all possible.

Don
gt350bp
I don't know a local rebuilder to you but was wondering if your fuelpump still makes the thump thump thump noise but leaks or doesn't  make a noise at all?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 09:07:00 AM »
Bob,

Going to check that today. Will advise, as I understand the switch is obsolete and hard to find. My pump was supposed to be rebuilt years ago and sat on a shelf.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 10:38:04 AM »
No noise!

In the new gasket kit, there is a metal washer that I'm not sure what it is for. Can you advise?

I took the switch out and the gasket was junk, so I'm putting the new composite gasket into the switch housing. Inside the pump there is a rubber             
gasket / O-ring where the switch fits into the pump. Looks good but no new gasket or O-ring in the rebuild kit. Is this simply a centering isolator for the switch to pump?

I guess I'm going to install the new top cover composite gasket and operate the switch a few times by hand. Maybe not a good contact because of corrosion from setting too long? Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
No noise!

In the new gasket kit, there is a metal washer that I'm not sure what it is for. Can you advise?

I took the switch out and the gasket was junk, so I'm putting the new composite gasket into the switch housing. Inside the pump there is a rubber             
gasket / O-ring where the switch fits into the pump. Looks good but no new gasket or O-ring in the rebuild kit. Is this simply a centering isolator for the switch to pump?

I guess I'm going to install the new top cover composite gasket and operate the switch a few times by hand. Maybe not a good contact because of corrosion from setting too long? Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp
I was afraid of that. With only friendly intent I say this must be your first time with this problem because those that have played with enough different 240 A pumps over the years will eventually run into this problem and find out it is more trouble trying to source parts and fix it then to find another working pump. If no noise then it is almost a certainty that the switch is bad. It is not as simple as cleaning contacts. It is a internal part of the switch that typically goes bad. Years ago a article was posted on one of the GT40 forums about a DIY fix for the switch. I tinker with a lot of wiring harness's , electrical circuits and circuit boards and I could never get the DIY fix to work. Someone better then me hopefully has been successful.  I am sorry to report that the NOS switches are almost impossible to find . They are not reproduced and have been obsolete for so many decades that through attrition virtually all have been bought long ago. The few I have ever seen for sale over the years have been 150-200.00 price range . You can still sometimes find working pumps for sale in that same price range. The gaskets that are for sale typical do not include all of the gaskets . I think it is the switch gasket that is typically not included. It was made out of a special rubbery material . Also you have to have the dexterity of a watch maker to set the switch in the body.  I know it is hard to swallow but it will be easier and perhaps even cheaper to buy a nice used working unit. Do not buy a pump unless you or they put power to the pump to hear the thump thump thump. If you don't verify more then likely you will buy some else non working junk. I wish only the best of luck getting this problem solved.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 12:02:19 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 12:10:37 PM »
Bob,

Going to check that today. Will advise, as I understand the switch is obsolete and hard to find. My pump was supposed to be rebuilt years ago and sat on a shelf.

Don
gt350bp
I hate to say this but most likely your pump was bad when it was rebuilt (new gaskets installed) . Maybe they are out there but I have never heard of a working pump that left sitting on the shelf and later when put into service doesn't at least start up or make some kind of sound. Typically when the switch goes bad they make one thump sound and not continuous like a working pump does.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 01:00:22 PM »
Looks to me like one of the contacts on the pump is broken away and the contact on the switch is not connecting. The Bakelite type material that the pump connection is attached appears to be very brittle and one wire is broken away from the Bakelite connection.

Anyone have a good rebuilt SW 240A suitable for use with pump gas and up to 10% ethanol?

Thanks Bob, for all the help. The goal is to get a working 240A in my car for the trip from Daytona to Pittsburgh for the convention. (Did that drive in 2009 and I think I have one last long trip in me with the replica.) This plus installing my rebuilt buttontop mechanical pump was my upgrades intended for this year.

Don
gt350bp

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 04:38:52 PM »
Looks to me like one of the contacts on the pump is broken away and the contact on the switch is not connecting. The Bakelite type material that the pump connection is attached appears to be very brittle and one wire is broken away from the Bakelite connection.

Anyone have a good rebuilt SW 240A suitable for use with pump gas and up to 10% ethanol?

Thanks Bob, for all the help. The goal is to get a working 240A in my car for the trip from Daytona to Pittsburgh for the convention. (Did that drive in 2009 and I think I have one last long trip in me with the replica.) This plus installing my rebuilt buttontop mechanical pump was my upgrades intended for this year.

Don
gt350bp
Hope you get things resolved I for one would love to see it in person at the convention.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 07:58:19 PM »
Okay,
Hey Don and Bob,

I was part of that post string back in 2008/2009 on the GT40 forum. My avatar name there was/is still “BundleOfSnakes”. The person that did the SW240A switch service was Randy VanderLoo (sp?). He’s the Admin/Moderator for the site. He did an excellent job servicing the switch. I sent him all the gaskets and I believe an extra internal coil way back when.

I also have all the rebuild/service instructions/information (see screen print pic) as well as those non existent rubbery switch gaskets (6-7 left) in the SW 240A Gasket Kit #812108. I’ve assisted with 4-5 pump builds for guys parts wise that felt they absolutely needed to run a 240A, instead of a modern pump

Back to Randy V. for a sec, he’s an I.T. Admin for either BofA or Wells Fargo Bank in the Michigan area. (Can’t remember which one). I’d have to dig for his number or you can reach him via the GT40 forum.
Oh, one other guy Charlie Farley claims to have reproduced gasket sets for the pump.

The only other person I knew who rebuilt 240A’s was Drew Serb back in the Bay Area (The Cobra Experience).

All I can say is in addition the rebuilding the switch care must be taken when connecting the little copper contact sleeves part #425650 to the switch/coil.
If you look at the brass assembly on the end of the switch, you will see that it is built as a sealed unit. You cannot successfully take it apart and replace that seal. The brass component is pressed together. This fabric/rubber seal sometimes leaks. Gas and electricity is a bad mix.

These pumps don’t like ethanol! Ethanol eats rubber. Don you live in Florida if I remember. Boats run on non-ethanol gas as do farm equipment. Just say-in.

This is what I have left.

Cheers,
~Earl J

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:50:05 PM by SFM5S000 »

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 08:05:43 PM »
I have a pair of working pumps mounted in the trunk. I took dimensions of the pump bracket in 5R098 back at an event with NorCal SAAC a number of years ago.
I disconnected them, and I’m using a mechanical CV pump instead to feed Webers and on occasion when I’m bored the Rambox.

~E

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:24:43 PM by SFM5S000 »

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 07:45:50 AM »
I've been running Mallory 110 pumps for 20 years in my car. The problem is when they crap-out and they do, you are stranded, as the Carter HV mechanical pump will not pull fuel through the Mallory pump. The SW 240A specs to mount no higher than 24" above the fuel level and Mallory says to mount lower than the fuel tank, so they really do not recommend my set-up.

I like the idea of running the 240A because it was run in the day and I'm trying to stay era correct as reasonably as po$$ible. There is a rebuilder / supplier of
SW 240A's when you Google and they are located in New Hampshire. Owner is Nick Acton and the business is Acton Classic Enterprise. Price is $$$$ but the alternatives are equally $$$! I plan to call Acton Classic today and see what they have and can do. Anyone have any firsthand dealing with them?

I'll keep everyone informed and thanks to all on your input.

Don
gt350bp 

Dwathencars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 08:45:19 AM »
HI I have much experience with Nick.  All good.   He is well known in the Cobra community for making parts and rebuilding assemblies for original Cobras.   CSX2367 has several of his parts on it which have survived scrutiny for its SAAC Premiere awards, plus Lori and I drive the Cobra so the parts function fine.

Plus Nick and Bonnie are great people.   A story - back 10 years ago when the Shelby tributes were held during Monterey week we had CSX2367 at the Carmel on the Sea event, moved it to a parking spot on the street after the show, and were with several other Cobra couples at a fun restaurant.  Phone rang - “Dave - they are towing your Cobra!!” - it was Nick and the local police were clearing the streets using a flatbed truck.  I got there in time.   Dave
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 10:27:38 AM »

Acton website, very impressive.

https://www.actoncustom.com/

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 08:03:36 PM »
I did not trust using one on my car so I found one with a nice body and gutted it. I modified it for -8 fittings. The fuel just loops through it as the fittings are connected inside. I have a Carter HV pump on the motor.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 10:13:53 PM »
Love it!

So, there is enough room for the fittings inside? Are you using bulkhead fittings at the inlet and outlet and (2) 90-degree fittings with a short hose? Did you take any photos of the process? This seems like the best solution for a car that is driven.

The quality of your build is second to none. Hope to finally see your car at the SAAC convention.

Don
gt350bp