News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

where is the lost 1965 / 66 Shelby Hertz GT350 car # 48 prototype ?

Started by FL SAAC, January 22, 2023, 03:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Originally a white-with-blue-stripes '65 Shelby, car #48 was pulled and repainted in Hertz black and gold for presentation to Hertz rental company. The car eventually was pressed into rental service in the New York area before being sold to the public after the program ended. The whereabouts of the car today are unknown, but it would be the only carryover '65 Shelby in the Hertz lineup.

Where are you ?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

could this be car #048 in the earliest Hertz advertising  ?

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

This is why we think this prototype Shelby Hertz # 048 is extremely  valuable :

First prototype presented to the Hertz Corporation in November 1965 for their Herzt Rent a Racer program

This commences the Ford  Shelby Hertz program

First Shelby to be converted into a Hertz rental car

First carryover for 1966

This is number 1 of the total 1,001 1966 GTHs

First Hertz four speed car

Was originally white,  repainted to the Hertz black and gold colors

Should have all the particular items of all 1965s but is a 1966 Hertz

Did we miss anything to make it the most valuable ?

Again all others, move over if this unicorn is ever found and goes to auction

I have all UNGOLD cars

JohnSlack

This car is not a carryover car. Carryover cars were part of the order specifically to extend the ability of Shelby American to stay in production while the factory was not able to deliver cars to build as Shelby GT350s. As someone who posts here often you would think that you would be one of the people trying to avoid nonsensical hype, but no hear you are starting a fire, fanning the flames with inaccuracies and yelling fire.

As 1965 GT350 #48 it was reworked into a Shelby Hertz prototype....but not a carryover car.

Hype, the car is cool as the Hertz prototype, you don't need to add any more hype to it's Pedigree.

John

67 GT350

Quote from: JohnSlack on January 26, 2023, 07:58:42 PM
This car is not a carryover car. Carryover cars were part of the order specifically to extend the ability of Shelby American to stay in production while the factory was not able to deliver cars to build as Shelby GT350s. As someone who posts here often you would think that you would be one of the people trying to avoid nonsensical hype, but no hear you are starting a fire, fanning the flames with inaccuracies and yelling fire.

As 1965 GT350 #48 it was reworked into a Shelby Hertz prototype....but not a carryover car.

Hype, the car is cool as the Hertz prototype, you don't need to add any more hype to it's Pedigree.

Maybe "he" bought it in Miami and plans to Mecum it off for the big bucks?

John

This is what I adds, for some reason I put it in the wrong place:

Maybe "he" bought it in Miami and plans to Mecum it off for the big bucks?
RARE  Signature Delete

SFM6S087

For the record – a carryover is a car that started life as a 1965 Mustang chassis and was transformed at Shelby American into a 1966 GT350. The first 252 1966 GT350s fit into that description. That would be 6S001 through 6S252.

Also for the record, all carryovers are 1966 GT350s – not 1965.

So, in addition to being a special Hertz prototype, 6S048 is a 1966 GT350 carryover (albeit the Hertz version of the GT350). It was ordered from Ford by Shelby American on the same DSO as my 6S087 and 65 other cars. It was pulled at random from that batch to build into the first Hertz prototype.

How do I know that? Because I've been studying those 252 cars for 45 years. At one time those cars were referred to as leftover 65's, 65 1/2,'s, crossovers, change-overs, and early 66's among other names.  I and the Carryover Owners Group were instrumental in getting the automotive community to unite on the term carryover, as it seemed to most accurately reflect the history of those special cars. If you'd like to learn more we have a web site:

www.CarryoverGT350.com

The "Unique Features" page is the result of my decades of research into these cars.

Over the years I've learned a lot about these cars, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know it all. So if you think I'm wrong let's discuss it. If your presentation is strong enough I'll admit my error and give you credit for teaching me something. I'm always ready to learn something new, especially when it involves carryovers.

Steve

JohnSlack

My apologies to all, I misread the original post and incorrectly interpreted the post from FLSAAC to be discussing 5S048 as a carryover which is obviously not the case. So again I apologize since he was obviously referring to 6S048.

John

SFM6S087

Perfectly understandable, John. Especially since the very first sentence that FL SAAC posted on this topic was, "Originally a white-with-blue-stripes '65 Shelby, car #48 was pulled and repainted in Hertz black and gold for presentation to Hertz rental company." Clearly indicating 5S048. I just assumed that "'65"was a typo on his part after reading the rest of his posts.

Either way, I'm happy you know what a carryover is and are willing to stand up for them when you spot perceived misinformation. THANKS!

Steve

JohnSlack

Quote from: SFM6S087 on January 27, 2023, 01:33:28 AM
Perfectly understandable, John. Especially since the very first sentence that FL SAAC posted on this topic was, "Originally a white-with-blue-stripes '65 Shelby, car #48 was pulled and repainted in Hertz black and gold for presentation to Hertz rental company." Clearly indicating 5S048. I just assumed that "'65"was a typo on his part after reading the rest of his posts.

Either way, I'm happy you know what a carryover is and are willing to stand up for them when you spot perceived misinformation. THANKS!

Steve

I do indeed like the special features of the carryover cars, very much.

John

FL SAAC

Quote from: JohnSlack on January 26, 2023, 07:58:42 PM

John

good morning John,

FYI

" The first 252 1966 GT350s are known as "Carry-over" or "Left over" cars as they are 1965 chassis built into 1966 model year cars by Shelby, and as a result, a unique blend of 1965 and 1966 features. Today these carry over cars are the most desirable 1966 production GT350s and have a devout following. "
Hagerty

1965-66 Shelby GT350 Hagerty Media
https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/your-handy-1965-66-shelby-gt350-buyers-guide/#:~:text=The%20first%20252%201966%20GT350s,and%20have%20a%20devout%20following.

I have all UNGOLD cars

tesgt350

I admit I do not know that much about the Carry-Over Cars so I have Several questions about the Carry-Overs:
Were the VIN's swapped to 66 Vin's and by Who?
Were the 252 Carry-Overs at the Ford Manufacture Lot and the VIN's swapped BEFORE being shipped to SA?
The 65's had Shelby Wood Steering Wheels and the 66 had Pony Plastic Steering Wheels, which did the Carry-Overs have?
Did SA switch out the 65 Dash Pod for the 66 Tach?
Do the Carry-Overs have the 65 Seats?

Are the 1970 Shelby's also considered Carry-Over Cars?

Coralsnake

Interesting website

I guess Ford has stopped suing people for trademark infringement?