News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

CougarHeadlight Switch

Started by rcgt350, January 18, 2023, 11:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcgt350

Is the 67 headlight switch that was changed out quite a lot on warranty, a Cougar version with the three plastic vacuum ports attached at the rear? I assume it could take more voltage ?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rcgt350 on January 18, 2023, 11:56:27 PM
Is the 67 headlight switch that was changed out quite a lot on warranty, a Cougar version with the three plastic vacuum ports attached at the rear? I assume it could take more voltage ?
I am not sure about warranty using the Cougar switch so you will have to contact Dave Mathews. The Cougar headlight switch is supposed to have more capacity compared to the Mustang unit given the Cougar tail lights and headlights. In reality I am not sure there is much difference between the two.I have heard it has solved some problems for some and others not.  I suspect changing out for a new different headlight switch is the main reason not that it is a Cougar one.Just my thoughts .Others may have different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

Quote from: rcgt350 on January 18, 2023, 11:56:27 PM

The Cougar headlamp switch in 1967 has no vacuum ports. It's the same switch as used on a lot of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars that year. The Fomoco quick lookup number is SW441.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

rcgt350

That's right, no vacuum until 69/70, I forgot about that point
I was just wandering when you see it mentioned in the registry regarding warranty changes on some cars
Thanks

Royce Peterson

Quote from: rcgt350 on January 20, 2023, 10:53:38 AM
That's right, no vacuum until 69/70, I forgot about that point
I was just wandering when you see it mentioned in the registry regarding warranty changes on some cars
Thanks

OK you are mistaken there.

The 1968 Cougar headlamp switch has vacuum ports. The original ones (P/N C8WY-11654-A) are unique to 1968, the replacement part is missing the dash adapter so you need that from the original switch.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

rcgt350

Your all good teachers!
Thanks