News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fuel transfer tube gasket

Started by jgroce1985, January 22, 2023, 09:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgroce1985

Gas is pouring out of my transfer tube on the front carburetor of my gt500 (original carbs).  I looked up new tubes, but I'm getting two different part numbers 114 and 116, o-rings not included..Could someone lead me in the right direction on which tube I need and which o-rings thanks...Just ready to get my girl back on the road..

Drew Pojedinec

I could sell you a dozen of them if you wanted.

Or you could just buy a bag of them. The o ring size is 010

No one remakes the original tube. If you replace the tube they do not take o rings, they take two rubber boots.
Again, I have these parts if you need them.

Bill Collins

The problem is most likely the O ring, not the tube. I had a similar problem a couple of times - the ethanol in modern fuel attacks the rubber, drying it out over time - the ones I removed were stiff and could no longer hold a seal. New O ring solved the problem. Take Drew's advice and buy a bag of them - you will likely need more in the future!
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Drew Pojedinec

I tried out viton o rings and they tend to be too stiff.

Buna N works well and handles fuel just fine.
I like to use a Molykote o ring grease one them, but any grease should do fine.

The ones I currently use last dang near forever, but I change them whenever I take a tube off because they are cheap.
Oil-Resistant Buna-N O-Ring, 1/16 Fractional Width, Dash Number 010
I tried dozens of different ones and settled on these being my favorite:
https://www.mcmaster.com/9452K18