Author Topic: Anyone ever seen one of these Konis?.... 2-64 dated, C4ZF-18080 stamped....  (Read 2953 times)

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
Climbed under a 66 which I will be restoring soon to check the Konis. Low and behold, this is on the passenger back side of the car...

I've passed these photos to a few people...haven't come across anyone anyone who has seen anything like it yet.

Figured it would be a fun exercise to throw it out on the forum and see what anyone else either knows or theorizes...

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
New one for me. Have seen some odd ones like

Ones marked C5ZZ-18124B-D with the FoMoCo oval from the 70's

Another set with AUTOLITE in the side from a 70 export Mustang/Boss

Thanks for sharing

The date is the earliest I've seen on Mustang/Shelby style Konis
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Homogated part for the Ralle Falcons? Papers just call out Telescopic shocks but a Ford part number would make them legal.

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/car_attachment/1649332801/homologation_form_number_1250_group_t.pdf

I want the headers!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 05:53:07 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
Homogated part for the Ralle Falcons? Papers just call out Telescopic shocks but a Ford part number would make them legal.

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/car_attachment/1649332801/homologation_form_number_1250_group_t.pdf

I want the headers!

My mind also jumped to possibly being a rally falcon specific part (I know nothing about those cars but the date code would make more sense in that case) but the Mustang part number would seem odd if that is the case.

It was also suggested to me that export package early 65 Mustangs got Konis....but I would have figured those cars would have simply gotten the typical actual C4ZF-18080 Autolite HD shock....and I kinda doubt even in that case that youd see a 2-64 dated shock on one of those cars?

Others have suggested it is some kind of prototype part.

More than anything, I'm weirdly excited to see something on a car that is sort of weird and seemingly explainable...make the hobby a little more fun to find oddball stuff like this from time to time.

Vern

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
It was also suggested to me that export package early 65 Mustangs got Konis........and I kinda doubt even in that case that youd see a 2-64 dated shock on one of those cars?
Mustang intro was 4-64 - Konis came from Holland probably by ship so longer lead time than US built parts. I wonder if some countries got Koni while others could get by with the cheaper HD shock. Or was there another check box to upgrade to the Koni on the export cars?

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
It was also suggested to me that export package early 65 Mustangs got Konis........and I kinda doubt even in that case that youd see a 2-64 dated shock on one of those cars?
Mustang intro was 4-64 - Konis came from Holland probably by ship so longer lead time than US built parts. I wonder if some countries got Koni while others could get by with the cheaper HD shock. Or was there another check box to upgrade to the Koni on the export cars?

Is there any documentation in existence though for when the export bracing option came about? Was it available as early as the Mustang's intro? One thing I think it is important to clarify is that not all exported cars got the export bracing...lots of T5s did not have it.

Ive personally not seen any untouched, unrestored export package cars from early on but surely someone else has

Kind regards,
Vern

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Is there any documentation in existence though for when the export bracing option came about? Was it available as early as the Mustang's intro?

Don't recall any but that is not to say there isn't something out there. A couple of places to look might be the first set of cars sent to Allan Mann (100025, 100026, 100027, 100030)  since there is possible some period pictures of one of these out there. Not certain that there were built as exports, just a possibility and very very early cars. Possibly the Falcon side also since they received export braces though different ones. Just a couple of possibilities.

One thing I think it is important to clarify is that not all exported cars got the export bracing...lots of T5s did not have it.

Your comment about "lots" of T5s not receiving the package is interesting. Haven't seen that on original T5's in this country or the few I saw in Germany. Have seen my share but of course not all of them. A fair number of export cars were/have been "converted" to T5 by owners in the 80's since that got them more attention in magazines and at shows from what I say and was told by the owners. Don't mean to take the discussion elsewhere the shocks are interesting enough  :)

Export cars are a whole 'nother rabbit hole with lots of one offs sometimes related to almost monthly changes in laws and regulations in other countries. Cars built with strange engines that were identified by numbers rather than letters and so on. But those are not likely connected to this discussion currently
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:49:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
Might have spoken out of turn on the export comment. I had done an internet search of claimed t5 cars and saw alot of engine compartments which had not been reinforced but after doing the search again just now, im thinking those pictures got pulled onto the image seach because the cars were mustangs with t5 transmissions  ;D

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I think the export package would have been dependent on the roads where the cars were being shipped. I'd suspect the export package was ready on day 1 since they had already known it was needed from their experience with the Falcon.

Helmantel

• View Profile
I realize this thread is kind of old now, but I just noticed these shocks have Oud Beijerland stamped in them, which is the Dutch town where Koni is headquartered. I’ve never noticed that on Konis before, but I’m no expert on early Konis.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
Might have spoken out of turn on the export comment. I had done an internet search of claimed t5 cars and saw alot of engine compartments which had not been reinforced but after doing the search again just now, im thinking those pictures got pulled onto the image seach because the cars were mustangs with t5 transmissions  ;D

Here is one I used to have back in the 80's.  It had Dual Exhaust, Disc Brakes and the Export Brace.

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
If I remember correctly they had a 1964 Mustang shipped over from UK to Koni/Netherlands, I will need to find again, which one it was.
Acc to this article (thanks to Arjan Nugteren/Dutchmustang.nl) Koni developped  a variety including a  6 damper upset (2 guide the rear axle better)  (Autovisie 30/1965)
On sale for 325 dutch guilders.

About the export brace missing - true my 68 T-5 that was originally bought by a US serviceman had no export brace installed. It is assumed that PX ordered cars for servicemen could be done that way, as they were thought to be brought back. I have seen not to many T-5s without export brace, maybe one or two. In most cases owners think it is not a real T-5, so they do not register.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 02:02:26 AM by TransamEd »

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
Here are some clearer images of the shock removed from the car if anyone is interested in seeing. The other shock next to it for comparison is a 6/66 dated koni....the 2-64 shock has a longer top portion of the body and the "Tip" of the bottom of that top portion is rolled as opposed to straight.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 03:49:12 PM by Vernon Estes »

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
When I made the post from earlier today, the images were appearing in the body of the post...they seemed to have gone away though! Went ahead and attached them to the posts so hopefully they don't go poof again!

Kind regards,
Vern

Helmantel

• View Profile
Re: Anyone ever seen one of these Konis?.... 2-64 dated, C4ZF-18080 stamped....
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2023, 07:32:27 AM »
If I remember correctly they had a 1964 Mustang shipped over from UK to Koni/Netherlands, I will need to find again, which one it was.
Acc to this article (thanks to Arjan Nugteren/Dutchmustang.nl) Koni developped  a variety including a  6 damper upset (2 guide the rear axle better)  (Autovisie 30/1965)
On sale for 325 dutch guilders.

Interesting info about the rear axle dampers. They're also discussed here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7795.15

I thought they were hydraulic replacements for the solid overrider bars but now see in Ed's link that they were intended for below the axle, just like Traction Masters. They would probably not fit anyway in the override position, considering the small slot in the wheel housing they need to fit through.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 07:40:52 AM by Helmantel »