Author Topic: 5S208 - on Bring A Trailer  (Read 5750 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
5S208 - on Bring A Trailer
« on: January 24, 2023, 02:59:58 PM »
Link to auction:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-ford-shelby-gt350/

Description:
This 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 is chassis number SFM5S208, one of 504 street production examples built for the model year, and was first invoiced to Hi-Performance Motors of Los Angeles, California, on July 26, 1965. It was then shipped aboard the S.S. Santa Juana alongside another GT350 to Peru, where it was reportedly raced by Luis Alvarado and Jorge Nicolini. The car returned to the United States in 2002 and underwent refurbishment work from 2013 to 2015, at which time it was refinished in white with blue Le Mans stripes. Power is provided by a replacement 289ci V8 linked to a four-speed manual transmission, both of which were reportedly sourced from competition model 5R211 that was raced and crashed in Peru. The car is also equipped with a locking rear differential, 15″ Torq Thrust-style wheels, dual side-exit exhaust, an R-style front valance, polycarbonate rear and side windows, aircraft-style lap belts, and a fiberglass rear package tray that holds a spare tire. This GT350 is now offered by the selling dealer in California with copies of historical documents, manufacturer’s literature, refurbishment photos, and a New Mexico title.

The GT350 model was developed beginning in the summer of 1964 following Ford’s enlistment of Carroll Shelby to create a variant of the Mustang to satisfy SCCA homologation requirements. All 1965 GT350s were finished in Wimbledon White with Guardsman Blue rocker-panel stripes.

This example was refinished under prior ownership with blue Le Mans stripes, and bodywork completed during the 2015 refurbishment included the installation of a revised front valance and polycarbonate rear and side windows. Photos showing various stages of the refurbishment are presented in the gallery below. Additional details include a mesh grille, a hood scoop and quick-release pins, sail-panel louvers, a chrome rear bumper, and side-exit exhaust outlets.

Torq Thrust-style 15″ wheels are mounted with BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires, and a matching spare wheel with Goodyear rubber is secured in the rear cargo area. Refurbishment work under prior ownership included refreshing the front disc and rear drum brakes along with suspension components.

The cabin features low-back bucket seats trimmed in black vinyl complemented by coordinating carpets. Features of the GT350 model included aircraft-style lap belts and the omission of the rear seat in favor of a fiberglass shelf that housed the spare tire. Additional appointments include a glove box, sun visors, and pony-branded rubber floor mats.

The wood-rimmed steering wheel fronts a horizontal 120-mph speedometer and auxiliary gauges. A tachometer and oil pressure gauge are housed in a central dash pod. The five-digit mechanical odometer shows 24k miles, a handful of which have been added by the selling dealer. Total mileage is unknown.

The replacement 289ci V8 is said to have been removed from R-model 5R211 and installed under prior ownership. The engine was refreshed as part of the refurbishment and is equipped with a Cobra high-rise intake manifold and valve covers with breather tubes.

Power is sent to the rear wheels through a replacement four-speed manual transmission and locking rear differential, the former of which the selling dealer notes was sourced from competition model 5R211.

A copy of the Shelby American invoice to Hi-Performance Motors of Los Angeles, California, is dated July 26, 1965, and lists optional special alloy wheels at an additional cost of $214 and a total price of $3,902.75. Also included in the gallery is a copy of an undated bill of lading that shows chassis SFM5S208 was shipped from Los Angeles, California to Callao, Peru, along with another GT350 aboard the S.S. Santa Juana. 

A GT350 Serial Number Verification document from Howard Pardee is dated June 3, 2002, and notes that the Ford serial number provided by a previous owner corresponds with the Shelby number. Import documents are shown in the gallery below. Documentation and refurbishment photos are in electronic format and stored on a flash drive that will accompany the car.

The New Mexico title carries a notation of “Not actual mileage: Warning – odometer discrepancy.”

Videos:

- https://youtu.be/l1Rkum0zseQ

- https://youtu.be/ZbKGo9ikdZ0

- https://youtu.be/H3yLD864aZY

- https://youtu.be/5PAecd-uD14

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 5S208 - on Bring A Trailer
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 04:53:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Missed it the last time it went to auction.

Really nice that the seller included allot of pictures. They do provide a fair amount of insight.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 05:28:07 PM »
what a beauty,  thanks for sharing
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 07:40:01 PM »
Just wanted to post this for any potential buyers.  The car looks great, sounds great and probably runs amazing; but please pay attention to the comments about it scoring 953 points.  This is not true.

Seller makes this claim...

and has this score sheet is posted with the photos....

This car has never been officially judged at a SAAC event. The score sheet seen in the photos is not an official document to claim it scored 953 points.
The judge that looked at this car gave a list of items this car needs if it were to compete in concours.  The judge did not score the car this high.

Hopefully the seller cleans this up soon.

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 08:35:40 PM »
One person estimates the car will go for $725k and another estimates it'll go for north of $500k  These guys must work for Barrett Jackson. Based on the misinformation being advertised, I don't think the top bid will be above $377k. 

It's too bad, I'm gonna be in the market for a nice 65 GT350 later this year or in 2024 but this sort of false advertising really puts me off and kills my desire to chase an iconic car like a 65 GT350.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 09:58:00 PM »
One person estimates the car will go for $725k and another estimates it'll go for north of $500k  These guys must work for Barrett Jackson. Based on the misinformation being advertised, I don't think the top bid will be above $377k. 

It's too bad, I'm gonna be in the market for a nice 65 GT350 later this year or in 2024 but this sort of false advertising really puts me off and kills my desire to chase an iconic car like a 65 GT350.

QSS

I will agree that the s#!t talking mega-tards on BAT will hold it back, BAT so many "experts" in one place who own nothing but know everything - ha ha ha 

I would like to hear the straight scoop on the car, is it what left LAX in 65 or something else........
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:02:24 PM by 427hunter »
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

5s386

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 12:42:52 AM »
For those who have seen the "before restoration" pictures (before 2004), you may be surprised what the end of the auction price, or high bid, will be.

The Ebay auction in June of 2004 (Gaithersburg, MD.) (Steve-seller) claimed a very recent restoration. I believe that there was a SAAC Forum thread on this Shelby before the forum website crash.

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 09:32:25 AM »
For those who have seen the "before restoration" pictures (before 2004), you may be surprised what the end of the auction price, or high bid, will be.

The Ebay auction in June of 2004 (Gaithersburg, MD.) (Steve-seller) claimed a very recent restoration. I believe that there was a SAAC Forum thread on this Shelby before the forum website crash.

Additionally, the car has been quietly for sale out of New Mexico with its last owner for years now..on and off. The owner was adamant about not selling the car to a dealer so I didn't bother him much. Of course, as is usually the case, the car is now for sale by or through a dealer ;D   

What remains unclear to me is whether the seller on BaT owns the car or if it is merely on consignment from the owner in NM. The BaT seller is not clear on that.

Either the listing dealer is completely clueless on the cars or is knowingly mis-representing it...remains to be seen. IMO the comment section is going to get bad on this car if the seller doesn't right the ship pretty quickly.  BaT is a great outlet for selling so long as a seller thoroughly and honestly represents a car. When that doesn't happen, the comment section gets out of hand the listing gets away from the seller. In its own way, that is another positive of BaT..it outs the liars.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 09:50:57 AM »
"The nicest one I have ever seen" is my new favorite seller comment.

Well how many have you seen? Lol

;)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 01:41:21 PM »
"The nicest one I have ever seen" is my new favorite seller comment.

Well how many have you seen? Lol

;)

Or the possible other comment

"How long have you been legally blind?"

::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 02:09:40 PM »
This seller is running a clinic on how to not successfully sell a car on BaT! Yikes!!
65 GT350

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 02:13:36 PM »
Sad, but the virus of "alternative facts" has infected our "hobby" too.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 02:39:31 PM »
I wonder how much the stupidity actually holds back a car?

I suspect not as much as one would think. The gallery thinks it has all the power

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 02:45:10 PM »
I wonder how much the stupidity actually holds back a car?

I suspect not as much as one would think. The gallery thinks it has all the power

Stupidity would only hold the car back if there isn't two willing bidders out there who are even more clueless than the seller clearly is.

The guy in located in CA so there's plenty of fruitloops to choose from if he wants to sell it high  ;)
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 02:53:59 PM »
Well, it's up to $200K now.