Author Topic: 5S208 - on Bring A Trailer  (Read 5743 times)

Nova68

• View Profile
Re: 5S208 - on Bring A Trailer
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 03:06:09 PM »
So what's wrong with this car? The car is for sale , so all the experts here pick it apart. Please explain what you all see wrong with it.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 04:53:01 PM »
Are you asking why the seller shouldn't represent it as a "concours car"?

Or why its not a concours car?

You will not find more knowledgeable people anywhere in the world about these cars than on this forum.

Nova68

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2023, 05:11:15 PM »
I get it's not a perfect car. But anytime a car is listed on here it seems like everyone has to pick it apart. All the experts have to comment with all there knowledge. If some one is really interested they will search out the expert for real advise.

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2023, 05:23:27 PM »
I get it's not a perfect car. But anytime a car is listed on here it seems like everyone has to pick it apart. All the experts have to comment with all there knowledge. If some one is really interested they will search out the expert for real advise.
A potential buyer is not going to reach out to a knowledgeable "expert" if the buyer has no clue where to even go or how to contact that said expert.  The beauty part about BAT is, all the information and criticism is condensed in one area and that is in the comments section of BAT.  A potential buyer can take the comments with a grain of salt or use them to evaluate their decision on a purchase.  This only helps a buyer.  Granted some and most of the comments aren't worth anything, but those are the ones that can be taken with a grain of salt.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 06:36:56 PM »
I really don't think correcting mis-representations by the seller is "picking the car apart"

Do you think its acceptable for him to say the car was judged at SAAC if it wasn't?

There is a significant difference between a premier car and a car never judged, that has a lot of non stock parts on it.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 08:00:45 AM by Coralsnake »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023, 06:48:08 PM »
So what's wrong with this car? The car is for sale , so all the experts here pick it apart. Please explain what you all see wrong with it.

As an observation of this thread, if experts were "picking it apart" you would see a list of observations already.

Listing how to make a car pass an inspection or scrutiny posted publicly may not serve the hobby or other owners best in the long run. Just an opinion
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

5s386

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 07:29:38 PM »
I would recommend a serious buyer to have a thorough inspection by a real SAAC judge, such as Bob Gaines or Craig Conley.

That would answer any and all questions.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:35:46 PM by 5s386 »

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2023, 08:53:58 AM »
"The nicest one I have ever seen" is my new favorite seller comment.

Well how many have you seen? Lol

;)

Or the possible other comment

"How long have you been legally blind?"

::)

:)
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2023, 09:29:31 AM »
Let me say Mr John Brown is a well known and very knowledgeable person on 1965 Shelbys.

I think his role was distorted and misrepresented in the listing.

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2023, 10:52:20 AM »
It's really too bad on how a car like this can go so sideways. All the seller had to do do was represent it for what it was. A 65 that had some race history. Was restored with some sheet metal work from 66. Has some R-model flare. Possibly has the tranny and engine from 5R211 and call it what it is. I particularly like that sort of stuff. My 66 was restored by Jim C in 1990 and we put a bunch on "non-correct" 65 / 65 R-model bits on it. I love it. Had I not been 1 year old in 66 and was buying a 66 new, these are some of the day 2 things I would have done. The reason being.... I drive it and enjoy it. There are 2 types of buyers, right? The originality "concourse" buyer who buys for the "investment" or the guy who buys for the pleasure of driving and enjoying. Neither is better than the other, but 2 different buyers. I think had the seller gone the "racing" driving route, this was a slam dunk car for the right buyer. I wish I had the cash to buy, at the right price, this is an awesome looking / sounding driver. The problem here is, the seller is looking for it to be an investment " best of all " car.... and it's not that. You guys here on the Forum do an awesome job informing everyone of the "investment" component shortfalls on many of the cars listed on the internet. I don't know why anyone buying any Shelby without having someone with extensive knowledge review that car and disclose what's not correct. Especially on a 65 where many of those components are just not available anymore. The potential buyer who walked away did just that after JB apparently got a cramp in his hand from the length of that list. Keep up the fight, as without you guys pointing this stuff out, the used car salesmen take over! Jeff-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 12:08:06 PM »
It's really too bad on how a car like this can go so sideways. All the seller had to do do was represent it for what it was. A 65 that had some race history. Was restored with some sheet metal work from 66. Has some R-model flare. Possibly has the tranny and engine from 5R211 and call it what it is. I particularly like that sort of stuff. My 66 was restored by Jim C in 1990 and we put a bunch on "non-correct" 65 / 65 R-model bits on it. I love it. Had I not been 1 year old in 66 and was buying a 66 new, these are some of the day 2 things I would have done. The reason being.... I drive it and enjoy it. There are 2 types of buyers, right? The originality "concourse" buyer who buys for the "investment" or the guy who buys for the pleasure of driving and enjoying. Neither is better than the other, but 2 different buyers. I think had the seller gone the "racing" driving route, this was a slam dunk car for the right buyer. I wish I had the cash to buy, at the right price, this is an awesome looking / sounding driver. The problem here is, the seller is looking for it to be an investment " best of all " car.... and it's not that. You guys here on the Forum do an awesome job informing everyone of the "investment" component shortfalls on many of the cars listed on the internet. I don't know why anyone buying any Shelby without having someone with extensive knowledge review that car and disclose what's not correct. Especially on a 65 where many of those components are just not available anymore. The potential buyer who walked away did just that after JB apparently got a cramp in his hand from the length of that list. Keep up the fight, as without you guys pointing this stuff out, the used car salesmen take over! Jeff-

Are you saying it is NOT a real GT 350?

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2023, 12:15:03 PM »
Is the vehicle selling with no reserve?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2023, 12:51:30 PM »
Is the vehicle selling with no reserve?

I does not say so in the auction title. 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2023, 02:50:31 PM »

I remember watching legendary motor car restore a 65 gt350 with all reproduction junk. They replaced original nice parts with crap, but that is what the owner wanted I guess? In retrospect not only did they devalued the car they also made it way less desirable to collectors. When people do cars "their way" that's fine as long as they plane on not selling it, or at least understand that wrong = less money. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 02:52:42 PM by 427hunter »
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2023, 05:24:13 PM »
To clarify. I am not saying the car on BAT is not a real Shelby. I’m just saying it’s not restored to a correct day 1 car. That’s an extremely expensive endeavor now days, but when you go to resell it, you can get your money back. And yes, you get what you put in. In 1990 things are not like they are now with my car and current prices so it was never looked at as an investment. I’m just saying the seller on BAT is looking for investment money and it’s not a high dollar investment car. But it is a 65 GT350.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R