News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 Rear brake air ducting question

Started by SFcarbuff, December 30, 2022, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGuy

Quote from: SFcarbuff on March 01, 2023, 08:00:36 PM
I bought some after market duct ends which were fiberglass.  Was not happy with the quality and they did not cover the factory rivet holes.   So I bought a block of  black plastic and made my own set.  These will be mounted in the inside. Thoughts before I use them.. 

Beautiful work! You certainly have the nicest set around. Did you use delrin for your material?

Frank

KR500

What rivet did SAI use to attach the air duct end pieces? Black or natural ? The car I am working on is 6S2069 with the scoop ends mounted on the outside of the quarter panels.

Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Bob Gaines

Quote from: KR500 on March 02, 2023, 09:20:45 AM
What rivet did SAI use to attach the air duct end pieces? Black or natural ? The car I am working on is 6S2069 with the scoop ends mounted on the outside of the quarter panels.

Rodney
Typically natural aluminum. The rivets are typically inserted from the inside of the car with a small washer securing the other side.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR500

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 02, 2023, 09:54:01 AM

Rodney
Typically natural aluminum. The rivets are typically inserted from the inside of the car with a small washer securing the other side.
Bob
Thank You

SFcarbuff

Thanks all for the input.  I am going to use them.  Wish I had a 3-D printer.  I have original sections for the wheel well.  I am not sure which plastic I used; my firend has a shop and they were extra from a project he was doing on an airplane. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: KR500 on March 02, 2023, 12:18:18 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 02, 2023, 09:54:01 AM

Rodney
Bob
Thank You
Rod ,I am sorry but when you said "scoop" I defaulted to side scoop. My mistake. The natural rivets are mount on the outside for a outside mounted duct end and no need for washers for this process.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Just to make it clear the 66's had the duct attached two different ways depending on when the car was modified at Shelby. Believe this was covered in another thread but as a refresher there was the early version where the ducts were attached from the interior of the car where the rivets were installed from that side leaving the compressed ends inside the exterior scoop with no washers being used. Just a few photos to illustrate

On late cars the ducts were installed from the exterior as were the rivets. Also, like the earlier version, no washers were used in this installation. KR500s/Rodney's is one of the this version.  Just a few photos to illustrate

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

KR500