Author Topic: KR tach problem  (Read 723 times)

Jack4159

• View Profile
KR tach problem
« on: January 21, 2023, 03:09:24 AM »
I think I may have a tach problem. Car has a new AMK products main underdash wiring harness "with tach" installed. Today I ran the wires to the tacho, pink wire to black plug on tacho and red wire to the red plug on tacho.This resulted in no voltage at coil. When we bypassed the revcounter we got power back at the coil.Testing with a multimeter shows no power is passing through the revcounter.
Does that sound like a "burnt out" tacho?
Are they repairable?
I would very much like to keep the original tacho so would prefer to repair if possible.
Thanks in advance as always.   

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: KR tach problem
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 08:25:58 AM »
If you connect the two tach wires in the main harness its very likely the tach is the issue.

Its usually an all or nothing. There are several people that refurbish tachometers. You just need to make sure they dont re-wire the tach for a non original installation. You want to keep the original tach wiring.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 11:54:41 AM »
If you connect the two tach wires in the main harness its very likely the tach is the issue.

Its usually an all or nothing. There are several people that refurbish tachometers. You just need to make sure they dont re-wire the tach for a non original installation. You want to keep the original tach wiring.
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 01:29:35 PM »
I'd suggest you consider a new modern tach as I found my original tach was lagging when revving. I had Mike at Orlando Mustang install a new tachometer in my gauge cluster when I sent the bezel out to be restored. The new tach works like a charm. One of the best upgrades and I stored my original tach for the next guy.

While the cluster is out, upgrade the flasher boxes and rear taillight bulbs to LED's if you plan to drive the car.

Don
gt350bp

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 05:32:35 PM »
Thanks gents.