Author Topic: '65 Wood Steering Wheels?  (Read 1996 times)

csxsfm

• View Profile
'65 Wood Steering Wheels?
« on: January 26, 2023, 12:47:24 PM »
Because of the high steering effort on early GT350s', did the aluminum splined hubs used on their steering wheels ever have any known problems or failures?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: '65 Wood Steering Wheels?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 06:00:24 PM »
Because of the high steering effort on early GT350s', did the aluminum splined hubs used on their steering wheels ever have any known problems or failures?
I have heard about more wood rim breakage then any problem with the spline hubs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kram350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 09:00:59 PM »
Well... I can tell you for a fact my original die cast piece striped out at Laguna Seca in 1977. Scared the hell out of me. Turning the wheel and not the wheels leads to a bad feeling! I'm sure hot race tires didn't help the situation.

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 10:47:37 PM »
Of all places, old Laguna.  "Pucker Factor" must have gone through the roof.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 08:31:30 AM »
You mean like this?
RARE  Signature Delete

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 09:03:41 AM »
Yikes!  I thought the aluminum hub was the weak point. 

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 12:24:06 PM »

Many wheels are restored, but the wheel inner ring and spokes are not checked, and one good yank is all it takes.....be careful how you get in and out of your car...and never try to steer it with the motor off (PS is not helping with the motor off).

To add, Thanks for Jeff Stephens for making it great again! It came out beautiful, and STRONG!
RARE  Signature Delete

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 01:06:07 PM »

Many wheels are restored, but the wheel inner ring and spokes are not checked, and one good yank is all it takes.....be careful how you get in and out of your car...and never try to steer it with the motor off (PS is not helping with the motor off).

To add, Thanks for Jeff Stephens for making it great again! It came out beautiful, and STRONG!
Not to be snarky, the subject here is '65 steering wheels.  And '65s don't have power steering.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 01:19:41 PM »

Not to be snarky, the subject here is '65 steering wheels.  And '65s don't have power steering.

Yes, it was just my 2 cents....That would be even worse! Anyway, my 66 has the Mustang wood wheel, not real. I think I have seen a few "wood" wheels for 66 cars?? And there is the wheel that has wood sandwiched with metal? I was thinking would the 65 wheel potentially have the same issue as my 67 did? BTW I broke mine within the first minute of getting the car delivered to me!!! LOL
RARE  Signature Delete

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 04:54:21 PM »
Thanks 67 GT350.  The '67 Wood Wheel was sold OTC for '66's (and still is) so your experience is relevant to my question.  Thanks.

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 04:39:53 PM »
Just to add. Maybe try to find the s1ms steel chrome hub. Have owned 2 over the years. Not sure when in production they were used. MY No 5s45 had the original 16 inch wheel with aluminum hub. Also had a 15 inch 65 wheel with holes in the spokes and it had the chrome hub.

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 04:52:10 PM »

Back to carrying a spare set of Vise-Grips in the car, like the old days!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 05:49:55 PM »
Just to add. Maybe try to find the s1ms steel chrome hub. Have owned 2 over the years. Not sure when in production they were used. MY No 5s45 had the original 16 inch wheel with aluminum hub. Also had a 15 inch 65 wheel with holes in the spokes and it had the chrome hub.
The die cast chrome hub is a later 65 production evolution .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby