Author Topic: Gas tank install & there are 2 larger holes on either side of the filler neck?  (Read 967 times)

BlackCobraKR

• View Profile
I am installing a new gas tank in my 1968 Mustang and the install hardware kit included 12 stainless hex bolts and 2 larger dark colored bolt with J clips

There are 2 larger holes on either side of the filler neck that I guess where the J clips are supposed to go?
Is there a reason for the j clips toward the rear near the filler neck instead of just regular screws like the rest of the hardware?

Does something install near the rear of the tank using J clips?

I didnt notice this until after I installed the strip caulk and put the gas tank in place. Will i have to take the tank back out?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:17:15 PM by BlackCobraKR »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
These?

Then its the forward upper bumper guard bracket that the bolt attaches to through the rear trunk opening lip

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

BlackCobraKR

• View Profile
Yep that is the one. I did some asking around and research and it seems that I am missing some brackets that attach to the back of the valance and to the tank itself.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
If that bracket that is shown in the bottom picture then yes its "missing"

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

WT6066-2600

• View Profile
Missing bracket?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Missing bracket?

Believe he is stating that #4 in the factory drawing is not there.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Those brackets would only be there if the car has the optional rear bumper guards. If not, the holes are not drilled in the car and the holes in the gas tank are unused.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock