Author Topic: SAAC-48 National Convention  (Read 2819 times)

Eric Frarey

• View Profile
Re: SAAC-48 National Convention
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 07:53:16 PM »
Great information, have been considering renting from Uhaul and do have a F150 Lightning.
Thank you. Eric
1967 Shelby GT 350 #1373

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 11:13:15 PM »
Nice truck, rent a trailer and be there WITH your car, the best way and most fun way to participate  ;-) 
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

ShelbyBoss

• Mustang is not a hobby: it's a lifestyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 04:25:35 PM »

You must be made of sterner stuff then me? Towing out of LI to the Cross Bronx over the GW?
I did that once and still have nightmares about it.

Going out was easy. Coming back was ridiculous. It took 2-1/2 hours to get from Newark Int Airport to the toll booths on the GW, then I had to cross over to the extreme right lane with the trailer to get on 87 north and all the "jabonga's" didn't want me to.

If it wasn't for the GW, Cross Bronx issue, I'd do it again. As a matter of fact I'm considering it again for the Pitts. 87 to Tappan-zee to 287 south. ... text abbreviated

Hey Doug,

I am determined!  Well at least you know where I'm coming from.  I usually leave at 4AM so I'm past NYC before the traffic begins; family in Indiana & Georgia taught me well   :)
Breakfast in NJ at a favorite diner is a Carlisle staple!

I'll bet you can imagine this: as show chairman for 2011's "Mustangs At The Beach" (an MCA National Show which at the time was the highest grossing in MCA history), I got the venue (a 200-acre waterfront historic mansion), 6 car magazines,  radio & TV, the winery tour, free tickets to the Mets, discounted tickets to 4 Broadway plays, guest speakers, and a kick-ass 5-course banquet, with live music (not your typical car show BBQ), sponsors from Ford to Morgan Stanley, and faced the possibility that people would be too afraid to pass through New York City. 

Undeterred, I wrote an article  for the Mustang Times called "Getting There" where on 6 weekends 8 months before the show, I took my Boss 302 and I drove 1) over the New London CT ferry w/trailer, 2) over the Bridgeport CT ferry 3) over the Whitestone from the Bronx 4) From points West Over the George Washington Bridge to the Bronx then over the Throgs Neck Bridge w/trailer 5) through the Midtown Tunnel w/trailer 6) from points South over the Outerbridge Crossing to Staten Island to the Verrazano Bridge to the Van Wick w/trailer. 

400 cars came; not sure how many total spectators.  In addition to giving $15K to charities, we funded our club MSCLI for 3 years.

Hope to see you at PittRace!
ShelBoss | 19 GT350R | 86 SVO | 70 Boss | 67 GT Vert

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2023, 04:14:10 AM »
Undeterred, I wrote an article  for the Mustang Times called "Getting There" where on 6 weekends 8 months before the show, I took my Boss 302 and I drove 1) over the New London CT ferry w/trailer, 2) over the Bridgeport CT ferry 3) over the Whitestone from the Bronx 4) From points West Over the George Washington Bridge to the Bronx then over the Throgs Neck Bridge w/trailer 5) through the Midtown Tunnel w/trailer 6) from points South over the Outerbridge Crossing to Staten Island to the Verrazano Bridge to the Van Wick w/trailer.
I've done all of those routes save for the NL ferry, and not in the Shelby, and not towing a trailer because that would be, well - just crazy - like hiding behind the chainsaws crazy : ) Some of those trips had to be brutal.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2023, 06:42:38 AM »
I have been with friends many times pulling with enclosed and open trailers but never did it myself. I was offered to use my friends truck and trailer to go to the SAAC fall meet  but his trailer was acting up(needs a module that is on back order). Well he bought another 2 cars in the last 2 weeks off of the same guy the first being an LS6Chevelle he drove home in as snow storm but no way on his second. We talked about him using a U-haul trailer to get the 71 HEMI Cuda home but he sends me this pic on Saturday. He used his trailer that needed work....
 About open trailers: My wife isn't too keen about open trailering our Shelby vert to shows and leaving the car "open" at most shows overnight or in a hotel parking lot overnight. Yeah, I've known people who have gotten their setups stolen. To replace my vert which I restored myself would be next to impossible so most shows now I go and enjoy the shows for now(sorry Ed).
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

ShelbyBoss

• Mustang is not a hobby: it's a lifestyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2023, 01:49:13 PM »
You're golden!  Really nice truck.

You've got until July.  Find a nice big U-Haul place by you (not a supermarket or tiny strip mall - there are plenty of full service facilities).  Pick a nice weekend and rent the autotransporter for a day (you can do this online if you want).  Go there, watch them hook it up, and take it out to a big corporate parking lot (with nothing on it).  You won't even know it's behind you.  Then once you have a feel for it, go home, (print out my post), load your Shelby on, and carefully go back to the parking lot.  Practice turning, parking, backing up, - even loading and unloading the car (although that's alot of work).  If you feel so included, go for a ride, get on the interstate.   In one weekend, you could become a pro.

Good Luck!

Let us know how it went.
ShelBoss | 19 GT350R | 86 SVO | 70 Boss | 67 GT Vert