News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT350 George Bartell poster

Started by Bill Collins, January 30, 2023, 12:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Collins

https://ontime.mecum.com/auction/shelby-american-le-mans-sports-car-racing-collection-220/bidgallery/?utm_campaign=Mecum%20On%20Time&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=243358474&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--U1eFyjDl_ip0qOzCqc0O7oc1QGrtAeMmZImMQJJI_zpR_08U5_-z8FLfsaYaGE3rDup08eHCZGU49RdfaNXWD6gPrxA&utm_content=243358474&utm_source=hs_email

Lot #7 in this auction, the Georger Bartell GT350 poster, is presently bid to $2611. with one day remaining. Adding the 25% buyer's premium and packing / shipping brings the total cost to around $3300.

There are 57 bids so there is obviously a lot of interest in this item. If anyone on here happens to be chasing this, I can save you a lot of money. I have in my collection several of these posters. They are authentic and in excellent as new rolled condition with vibrant color.

I acquired these at SAAC 13 in Santa Rosa, CA in 1988. An early well known California Shelby parts vendor was in the flea market selling select original posters that were part of the set originally marketed by Shelby American.

I was heavily into literature at that time and a conversation disclosed that he had a stash of brand new ones at his shop. He had acquired them when SA liquidated their inventory. He agreed to sell me some, and I visited his place after the convention. They have been rolled up in a box in dry dark storage ever since. These are the real deal, not the later reprint that was smaller in size and had washed out looking color.

I will sell these at $1500 each, shipping included. This is less than half of the current bid price + costs. The photo attached is for representative purposes only and is not one of the actual posters I have for sale. I will be happy to provide a photograph of what you are actually buying before any transaction takes place.

Bill Collins
Bill Collins Collector Fords
Harrisburg, PA

bill@bcfords.com
717-648-6600
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

csxsfm

Little did I know I had over $7,000 in posters taped to my dorm room wall.  Still have them somewhere - unless the wife tossed 'em.  LOL

TA Coupe

Bill, did you go to a shop or someones house to get the posters because it sounds a lot like me. I still have a couple along with a couple of the super rare dealer 3 Cobra posters.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Bill Collins

Quote from: TA Coupe on January 31, 2023, 08:34:24 AM
Bill, did you go to a shop or someones house to get the posters because it sounds a lot like me. I still have a couple along with a couple of the super rare dealer 3 Cobra posters.
      Roy

I went to a shop in a commercial area. The posters were stored on pallets in a mezzanine atop an enclosure at the front entrance that housed the offices and a small showroom. He did not have any 3 champ posters, these were mostly from the Bartell set that SA sold in '65-'66: GT350, Sebring w/Daytona Coupe, World Champ '65 w/Daytona Coupe, plus the later '69 SSSShelby GT350/500.

I now recall that once Shelby American became Shelby Automotive, another company called Autosport Products was created to market the remaining SA posters and other promotional material like jewelry, key fobs, etc, plus sell a line of "CS (logo) Shelby" branded performance parts like intakes, valve covers, etc. The branding on the parts was changed from Cobra because Shelby had by then sold the Cobra name rights to Ford.

Autosport went out of business late in 1971 - I bought a pair of Cleveland/Boss 302 valve covers out of their inventory liquidation sale at the time. I think they cost me something like 20 bucks new in the box. The seller of the posters in 1988 had told me he got them in bulk out of what was probably the same liquidation.

Years later, while on a car buying trip to CA in 2004, I went back to the place to see if any were left, but they were all long gone by that time, or at least that's what I was told.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Special Ed

Probly came from bill. at valley ford  in la area if i remember correctly as i bought some item from him back 35 years ago or so.