Author Topic: Toploader In Cobra Fitment Question  (Read 3157 times)

brandosaac

• View Profile
Toploader In Cobra Fitment Question
« on: February 01, 2023, 01:24:11 PM »
Plan on installing a Toploader in a 427 cobra and have some questions.
I have every toploader combination and different extension housings
Wanted to select the best one for correct shifter position coming through the floor.

Would this be a 24" toploader , with a mid shifter position extension housing, with the factory big block metal shifter relocation plate bringing it back (like a big block mustang) , factory shifter with the handle installed backwards?
or another combination?

I also have a small block mustang extension housing with its shifter position at the end of the tail, that has been bored out to big shaft if thats a better route to go.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Toploader In Cobra Fitment Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 02:11:20 PM »
Plan on installing a Toploader in a 427 cobra and have some questions.
I have every toploader combination and different extension housings
Wanted to select the best one for correct shifter position coming through the floor.

Would this be a 24" toploader , with a mid shifter position extension housing, with the factory big block metal shifter relocation plate bringing it back (like a big block mustang) , factory shifter with the handle installed backwards?
or another combination?

I also have a small block mustang extension housing with its shifter position at the end of the tail, that has been bored out to big shaft if thats a better route to go.
I think 427 Cobra toploaders were typically big in (31 spline) and small out (28) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

brandosaac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 04:37:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply bob,  i am aware of that.

was just seeking information on shifter location on the extension housing (tali housing)

coryh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 08:45:12 AM »
Hi
   I am going to attempt to upload some photos for you.  Bob is correct regarding the original 427 Cobra using the big in small out.  Recommend if you are building your top loader to go big in, big out.  You are correct regarding the 24” overall length.  The shifting mechanism is mounted to the rear.   Dan Williams in NC is a great resource as he has a long career building toploaders.  Hope this helps
   Regards
    Cory

coryh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 08:46:25 AM »
More pics

coryh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 08:47:03 AM »
Pics

coryh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 08:52:37 AM »
Shifter

coryh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 08:53:27 AM »
Shifter

brandosaac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 01:06:40 PM »
Hi
   I am going to attempt to upload some photos for you.  Bob is correct regarding the original 427 Cobra using the big in small out.  Recommend if you are building your top loader to go big in, big out.  You are correct regarding the 24” overall length.  The shifting mechanism is mounted to the rear.   Dan Williams in NC is a great resource as he has a long career building toploaders.  Hope this helps
   Regards
    Cory

Yes Cory I have a handful of big in / big out and will end up using one of those  100% originality isnt a major deal ,
i have the option of running that C4ZR tail or a C6/C7OR with the kick back plate, Both tails are big bore, just wondering which would land the shifter in a better position (if not the same?)
Very familar with Dan , and he always seems to drill and install the vent at the top of the extension housing. Every time I see a toploader with that, I know its been in his hands.
Dans a very nice guy , Its just hard to get him off the phone mid conversation :)

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 01:55:36 PM »
I do very little with 427 Cobra specific parts but I have collected some information over the years. I have the original Shelby American office copy of the purchase order numbers by part they had to buy to complete the street chassis A.C. Cars sent them and some information on recommended spares for competition cars.

Caution: If the 427 Cobra parts lists are no more accurate than the Cobra ones, users should take every part number as a starting point for their own research.

The next page of the purchase order file lists another transmission: C6AR-7003-B. Based on pictures, "1966" cars used a particular transmission and "1967" cars used a different one.

The units listed by chassis number are owner provided assembly tag details.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 03:17:15 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

coryh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 04:30:33 PM »
Thanks Dan...always a wealth of information!
     Cory

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 06:02:47 PM »
Thanks Dan...always a wealth of information!
     Cory

You are welcome.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

brandosaac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 11:31:05 PM »
Hi
   Regards
    Cory

Cory , Are you certain the extension housing (C4ZR) on your toploader was how a 427 Cobra would have come? Or are you saying it worked for you?

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 06:41:46 PM »
I do very little with 427 Cobra specific parts but I have collected some information over the years. I have the original Shelby American office copy of the purchase order numbers by part they had to buy to complete the street chassis A.C. Cars sent them and some information on recommended spares for competition cars.

Caution: If the 427 Cobra parts lists are no more accurate than the Cobra ones, users should take every part number as a starting point for their own research.

The units listed by chassis number are owner provided assembly tag details.

Interesting parts lists.  The C5AR-7003-G is a big input, small output, long tail housing, HEH-R, which was replaced/serviced by the C6AZ-7003-B, which is a big input, big output, long tail housing.   The RUG-S is the big input, big output short tailhousing used in the ‘67 GT500s.  Not much info/luck yet on the HEH-BY transmission.

brandosaac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 12:59:02 PM »
Thanks for all the replies so far, but now its even more confusing for me regarding shifter position on tail.
HEH-R which is a Galaxie toploader , would have its shifter position far forward on the tail 17" housing ,
The RUG-S ( 67 SHELBY) would have its shifter position in the mid position of the 14" tail,
and in Corey's post above he mentions using the small block mustang 14" tail with the shifter mount at the very end of the tail.

These are 3 different shifter positions.