News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Toploader In Cobra Fitment Question

Started by brandosaac, February 01, 2023, 01:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Case

The original post looks like an inquiry about tail shaft housings and 427 Cobras, but how shifting equipment was installed in original 1960s 427 Cobras by Shelby American seems the central question maybe. Said another way, how did Shelby's works get the gear shift lever located exactly where they did?

Degreased transmission and hardware low mile unrestored "1966" 427 Cobra.

Very low mile unrestored "1967" 427 Cobra shift mechanism.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

brandosaac

Thanks for the reply Dan.

Yes sorry,  if I didnt make myself clear before, I plan on removing a 5 speed from a cobra and installing a toploader and wanted to figure out the best combination to where the shifter mixing box lands in the correct spot just below the hole in the tunnel.
I have many toploader lengths and configurations ; Fairlane / Tiger  25.5" , Mustang / Cougar 24" , and Galaxie / Torino 27" , and various tail housings that can be thrown on to change the shifter mount locating (on the 24" and 27" versions) , was just curious as to what combination would be best.

Judging by your pictures of the original Cobra toploader, you have a 24" toploader with the (later C4ZR) mustang tail housing with the mount at the very rear , and thanks for the pic showing from underneath , that lands the shifter directly below the hole in the tunnel.
And, by looking at various pics they used the  (reverse mounted) earlier 64.5 mustang chrome stick with the bend and not the later (65-68)  mustang chrome stick that was more curved

thank you Corey as well for your pics

Dan Case

You are welcome.

The purchase order list shows:
C4JZ-7202-A Trans.Shift Lever with Knob and Boot

C4ZA-7400-J Control Assy.-Trans. Gear Shift

Those numbers mean nothing to me but that is what is listed.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

pbf777

Quote from: brandosaac on February 08, 2023, 04:48:01 PM
Judging by your pictures of the original Cobra toploader, you have a 24" toploader with the (later C4ZR) mustang tail housing with the mount at the very rear ,

Just attempting to clarify: Judging by the pictures (reply #15), and if I remember correctly (which is very hazardous  ::)) isn't it the 'earlier' C4ZR tail housing that is drilled at the "mid-mounting" position and then the offset adapter moves the shifter rearward (earlier Mustangs, etc.?) as appears in the photos; whereas it is the 'later' C4ZR tail housings (as in BOSS 302's & others ?) that have the rear-most mounting bosses faced, drilled & tapped for the rear-most position and though still have a mounting adapter for the shifter it doesn't present such the off-set?   :-\

Scott.

brandosaac

Quote from: pbf777 on February 08, 2023, 07:21:47 PM
Quote from: brandosaac on February 08, 2023, 04:48:01 PM
Judging by your pictures of the original Cobra toploader, you have a 24" toploader with the (later C4ZR) mustang tail housing with the mount at the very rear ,

Just attempting to clarify: Judging by the pictures (reply #15), and if I remember correctly (which is very hazardous  ::)) isn't it the 'earlier' C4ZR tail housing that is drilled at the "mid-mounting" position and then the offset adapter moves the shifter rearward (earlier Mustangs, etc.?) as appears in the photos; whereas it is the 'later' C4ZR tail housings (as in BOSS 302's & others ?) that have the rear-most mounting bosses faced, drilled & tapped for the rear-most position and though still have a mounting adapter for the shifter it doesn't present such the off-set?   :-\

Scott.

no, the C4ZR (and earlier C4DR ) mustang tail housings had their shifter mounting at the rear as shown in the recent pics.
The 14" mid position tail housings were the C6OR ... and C7OR.
The C6OR tails actually had both the mid position and the rear position , the C7OR just had the mid position. The mid position C6OR and C7OR tails were used in the big block Mustangs/Cougars/Shelbys  also fairlane ranchero

pbf777

Quote from: Dan Case on February 08, 2023, 02:02:06 PM

That which I was trying to clarify was as in this picture the rear-most mounting bosses on this tail housing do not appear to be machined, nor is the shifter mounted to the rear-most position on the tail housing, but rather the offset adapter bracket mounted to the mid-point mounting bosses that are machined and this provides for the rear-mounted position of the shifter.   :)

And I have in the past had C4ZR tail housings machined in either position (though appearing proper in execution, but maybe not by the O.E.?  :-\), though I very well may be incorrect on the early or late or even intended applications as that was few decades ago that I was rebuilding many a top-loader, that is before I sold off all (tons, yes tons  :o) of that inventory.   :)

Scott.

brandosaac

Quote from: pbf777 on February 09, 2023, 12:06:03 PM
Quote from: Dan Case on February 08, 2023, 02:02:06 PM

That which I was trying to clarify was as in this picture the rear-most mounting bosses on this tail housing do not appear to be machined, nor is the shifter mounted to the rear-most position on the tail housing, but rather the offset adapter bracket mounted to the mid-point mounting bosses that are machined and this provides for the rear-mounted position of the shifter.   :)

And I have in the past had C4ZR tail housings machined in either position (though appearing proper in execution, but maybe not by the O.E.?  :-\), though I very well may be incorrect on the early or late or even intended applications as that was few decades ago that I was rebuilding many a top-loader, that is before I sold off all (tons, yes tons  :o) of that inventory.   :)

Scott.

oh wow, I didnt even notice that! thanks scott for pointing that out.
and going back up a few posts looking at Dans pics, I just realized those ae 2 different transmissions, one for 66 and the other for 67, I thought those were the same transmission as I didnt focus on what dan wrote and just looked at the pics.
On the under carraige pic it is a C6OR Tail  , if it is a 28 spline output it is C6OR-7A040-C and if it is a 31 spline output it is a C6OR-7A040-D (same as 67 Shelby GT500)  that has both the mid position and the rear position bosses. it is mounted to the mid position with the kick back plate that was used on the big block mustangs / shelbys. Most likely that toploader is an RUG-S.

So to sum up my question regarding toploader length and which tail for proper shifter position,
judging by the pics , a 24" toploader with either the mid position tail with the big block kick back plate,
or the small block C4ZR tail with the mounting at the end of the tail will work , as both land the shifter mixing box in the same location.

thanks

coryh

Quote from: brandosaac on February 06, 2023, 11:31:05 PM
Quote from: coryh on February 03, 2023, 08:45:12 AM
Hi
   I am going to attempt to upload some photos for you.  Bob is correct regarding the original 427 Cobra using the big in small out.  Recommend if you are building your top loader to go big in, big out.  You are correct regarding the 24" overall length.  The shifting mechanism is mounted to the rear.   Dan Williams in NC is a great resource as he has a long career building toploaders.  Hope this helps
   Regards
    Cory

Cory , Are you certain the extension housing (C4ZR) on your toploader was how a 427 Cobra would have come? Or are you saying it worked for you?

Hi
  Sorry I just saw your question.  Yes it works for me and the shifter position seems to land right where it needs to be.
    Cory