News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Shelby’s coming out of the woodwork on Adam12

Started by 557, February 01, 2023, 10:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watching Adam 12 reruns.Yesterdays episode(I believe called "bright boy")had a white /blue stripes 66 in the background at about the 20 minute mark.Todays episode titled "Cigarettes,cars and wild wild women" had the "wild women"being arrested practically on the hood of a grabber blue 70.Go figure...

sd427

I love watching Adam-12, to see if I can tell where outside shots were filmed. There is an episode named "Venice Division" which features a scene shot inside what is currently the bar/burger place called "The Shack", right across the street from the Harbor Room, where Carroll used to go.

All about the cars for me.There is a gold 67 or 68 coupe with a white vinyl top that is in virtually every episode in the background.In some episodes it is actually Pete Mallory's car.

6s1640

Here is one of the shots with the GT350 in the background.  IIRC, this was also brought up in forum 1.0.  Looks like the episode aired Oct 10, 1970, making the car near four years old.  Looks like the rear bumper might have a small ding.  The California plate is 567 AZG.  Any body know this car?

Enjoy

Cory

tesgt350

Adam 12, Chips, Rockford File, are great for Car Spotting. 

pchmotoho

I recently sent in some of those pics to Howard.  I saw the white 66 in a few episodes  along with a blue one in one episode.  The 70 I spotted in only one episode.  I noticed it was missing the front spoiler.  Did those come in the trunk for dealer assembly?

Special Ed

Yes 1970 shelby dealer installed  unique spoiler with bolts and nuts since valance is fiberglass.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

ChicagoChris

Having lived in Huntington Beach (1985-1988) when working for Ford Division, it is always fun to watch Adam 12 and Dragnet.
Good fun to see the 'old spots' and fast cars.  Peyton Cramer was one of my dealers and he had some nice black n white pictures in his PV showroom of the 'old days.'

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 6s1640 on February 02, 2023, 03:36:29 AMThe California plate is 567 AZG. 
The blue/yellow replaced the black/yellow plates. The got replaced by the white (reflective)/blue ones. So it's hard to figure out when the same owner could have had 3 different plates on the car during the first 5 years.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

tesgt350

I remember one show where Pete and Jim were chasing a Red R-Code Mach 1 and it crashed.  They sure didn't care about those Cars back then.  One episode of Chips, they destroyed a nice 68 GTO.

Side-Oilers

Yep, while a few of those cars look near-new and probably wrangled from dealers or the staff/friends of the Mark IV production company, many of the stunt cars were probably bought for $1000 (or less) at a salvage yard, needing some major work.  The studio's transportation shop (Universal Studios in the case of Adam-12) did a fast patch job, poured a couple bottles of "motor honey" into the engine, pumped HD truck gear oil into the trans and rear-ends, plugged any coolant loss with Bar's Stop Leak, and sent them out to the set.  No guarantee on how long, or how well, they'd run. But they'd crash really good.

A buddy of mine worked for Warner Bros in their transport dept. One of his shows was Dukes of Hazzard. He told numerous stories like that, and even more crazed ones when they were trying to buy B body Mopars for the show.  They quickly sucked up all the available supply of cars and suspension parts in the greater L.A. area, and had to expand their searches into other nearby counties.

My pal became friends with Hoyt Axton. I met him a few times. Nice guy. Claimed the only green thing he'd ever eaten was an M&M.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bigfoot

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 02, 2023, 04:41:02 PM

My pal became friends with Hoyt Axton. I met him a few times. Nice guy. Claimed the only green thing he'd ever eaten was an M&M.

Thnx for the nostalgia and the fun Van!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Quote from: tesgt350 on February 02, 2023, 04:30:33 PM
I remember one show where Pete and Jim were chasing a Red R-Code Mach 1 and it crashed.  They sure didn't care about those Cars back then.  One episode of Chips, they destroyed a nice 68 GTO.
.    The Mach was kind of the star of that episode.Some teenage kid character in that episode is pretty besotted with that vehicle.Kept spitting out facts,specs.,etc.about it.cool... ;D

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 02, 2023, 04:41:02 PM
Yep, while a few of those cars look near-new and probably wrangled from dealers or the staff/friends of the Mark IV production company, many of the stunt cars were probably bought for $1000 (or less) at a salvage yard, needing some major work. 

I heard a couple estimates on General Lees that were used one was just over 130 and the other 154. I can pretty much assure you every car in this shot has at least 5 pounds of bondo and may even have one side caved in. These are all 20 footers. There are several lots like this all over LA. The guy next door takes better care of his cars.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2072696,-118.361119,122m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless