News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

25 Fastest Ford Magazine Drag Tests

Started by FL SAAC, February 03, 2023, 10:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Doug, good point on "what's a stock Cobra?"  SAI wasn't producing cars like a "real" car company that operated under highly controlled conditions. And yes, probably every owner tuned/improved their Cobra, especially those who raced them. These days, there aren't many a "stock" CSX3000s around.   

No, that wasn't me who did the rolling start on the Cobra. But, I once thought it'd be a kick to put four space saver tires/wheels on a new Viper and do our usual acceleration, braking and handling tests with it. Couldn't get anyone to go along with me on that one. Can you imagine what a handful that would've been?

And Doug, yes...I'd neglected to say that "Hot Rod type magazines took off the air cleaner" usually during the second or third drag strip pass.

There were a handful of tuner tricks (enumerated in my earlier post) that they'd use to simulate what the car would be like to the buyer who wanted to take it to the strip and have an advantage on the street.   But their bolting on a pair of slicks and then publishing those times is among the biggest culprit of phony numbers. 

Hot Rod or PHR would sometimes install a 4.55 (or similar) rear gear into a test car to see what it'd ultimately be able to do.  And, because they published that number, probably with slicks too, THAT'S the number that people have in the memory that all such cars ran, back in the day.

That's the main reason why I'm not a concours guy. I've owned five or six very-high-scoring concours muscle cars over the decades, but I don't really enjoy driving them. I always come back to "Who kept their car stock, back in the day?  Only the guy who'd just bought it that day, or the dweeb who somehow mistakenly bought a big block Mustang/Camaro/Challenger but drove like it was grandma's six cylinder.

Votes please:  Who here had a muscle car, back in the days when we were all under 30, and kept it completely stock. 
Show of hands...   

Crickets? 

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Quote from: 1109RWHP on February 04, 2023, 08:41:57 PM
Was a 69 GT500 really 3,850 lbs?

actually after the 65-66s we affectionately call them all "baby bellugas"
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

unfortunately as we get older and reminisce about "the good old days" how the air was cleaner, how that apple pie was more applier  ( applier kool word ! ) how "those muscle vehicles" ( don't want to offend anyone by saying cars ) where so faaaaasst.

to prove my thesis, I introduce this chart of a 1969 GT500 and possibly one of the fastest times ever recorded travrl8ng a quarter mile

this is a car weighing in at 3900 lbs and being dropped precisely from an airplane at 1320 feet.

it took precisely 16.9 seconds to travel the quarter mile....

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

^^^ I love that!

All of our Shelbys are quicker to traverse a 1/4 mile under their own V8 power than if they were dropped from an airplane! 

Fun stat to confuse the young folk with.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 07, 2023, 03:22:39 PM
I love that!

tell us what is it that  " you love " is it the cleaner air, more apllier, fast "choose your pronoun" insert here or fast beluga hits 16.9 in 1/4  ?

inquiring minds want to know......

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

Tony, I love that you figured that out and posted it.  I've never seen a comparison like that before, as to 1/4 mile (vertical versus horizontal) ETs.

Makes me remember the old street racer taunt: "Your car couldn't run_______(fill-in the blank) if you pushed it out of an airplane."

PS: I just looked at your calculation again. Did you see that the distance of 1320 is listed as "M", for Meters. That'd certainly change the outcome.  Please recalculate in Feet and repost.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 07, 2023, 10:04:55 PM
Tony, I love that you figured that out and posted it.  I've never seen a comparison like that before, as to 1/4 mile (vertical versus horizontal) ETs.

Makes me remember the old street racer taunt: "Your car couldn't run_______(fill-in the blank) if you pushed it out of an airplane."

PS: I just looked at your calculation again. Did you see that the distance of 1320 is listed as "M", for Meters. That'd certainly change the outcome.  Please recalculate in Feet and repost.

holy moly just turned this PIG into a 9 second +/- 191 MPH machine.....welcome to fantasy island....look de pig, de pig !

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

Some pigs look good with lipstick, or falling from a plane!

FL SAAC

Quote from: 427heaven on February 08, 2023, 09:51:51 AM
Some pigs look good with lipstick, or falling from a plane!

y'all know me by now,  you know im playing with ya

remember if you are not laughing, your crying

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

Tony I was hoping you might post a funny... of maybe a lipstick painted pig or a SHELBY flying out of a plane. Photoshopped or how ever thats done. Aint got no such SKILLZ.

FL SAAC

Quote from: 427heaven on February 08, 2023, 02:10:18 PM
Tony I was hoping you might post a funny... of maybe a lipstick painted pig or a SHELBY flying out of a plane. Photoshopped or how ever thats done. Aint got no such SKILLZ.

Hello my dearest friend....during  my life time I have attended numerous sensitivity, diversity and inclusion seminars. These very profound instructional programs have really made an impression on me.

I did think about what you mentioned above, but stopped and rationalized that "someone" on this forum, yes this very forum might be upset about "me" doing "that".

So I succumbed and decided to do the right thing not post a flying,  lipsticked, plane flying PIG. Hopefully by not fulfilling your expectations I did not hurt your feelings, hoping that you will understand it's all in the name of sensitivity, diversity and inclusion.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

look I found a pig flying a 69 shelby.....

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

by the way this reminds me of a redbull flutag event we attended a few years ago, witnessed a 69 Shelby with wings......

That list is so bad with those fast muscle cars every one knows you can't keep up with a poncho those 455 H.O.s those 455 S.D.s would outperform 99% of all those on that list and let's not talk about handling, all those on the list are BRICKs !

I have all UNGOLD cars