News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Removal

Started by 6T6SHELBY, February 03, 2023, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6T6SHELBY

Looking for suggestions on how to remove a '66 OTC wood steering wheel. I'm not a master technician by any stretch but there are no provisions to install the threaded bolts for a steering wheel puller.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6T6SHELBY on February 03, 2023, 10:24:03 PM
Looking for suggestions on how to remove a '66 OTC wood steering wheel. I'm not a master technician by any stretch but there are no provisions to install the threaded bolts for a steering wheel puller.
I have pulled many dozens over the years. I took a air chisel and turned it into a air hammer.  in case you don't have the air tool you can get one from harbor freight for around 20.00. You take one of the attachment chisels and cut the the end off leaving a flat blunt surface . You first loosen the steering wheel nut all the way up flush with the end of the threads. This is so no threads are damaged during the next process.You take the air hammer and hold it flush with the end of the threaded shaft . Next you have a friend hold both sides of the steering wheel rim while you do a quick  few second pull of the trigger on the air hammer . Rat a tat tat and it is typically off in a few seconds. I tried it numerous ways and this the fastest least stressful. You can of course use a heavy Brass hammer in place of the air hammer and hopefully get it off but expect many blows .     

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6T6SHELBY

Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck!!!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6T6SHELBY on February 03, 2023, 11:08:14 PM
Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck!!!
Pull up on the rim but not too hard while using the air hammer or Brass hammer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

64kcode

Yes the air hammer method will work. but instead of a blunt end on the chisel i put a point on it as there should be a small indendtation on the steering shaft ,the pointed end of the chisel will stay centered to the shaft and keep it from slipping off when you pull the trigger and damaging something else,  just a tip fom an old ford dealer mechanic, good luck.

6T6SHELBY

Quote from: 64kcode on February 04, 2023, 07:32:42 AM
Yes the air hammer method will work. but instead of a blunt end on the chisel i put a point on it as there should be a small indendtation on the steering shaft ,the pointed end of the chisel will stay centered to the shaft and keep it from slipping off when you pull the trigger and damaging something else,  just a tip fom an old ford dealer mechanic, good luck.

Thank you!!